Skip to main content
Topic: New to forum! Need help  (Read 1743 times) previous topic - next topic

New to forum! Need help

I'm wondering if anyone can help me on building a load for my new ruger m77 hawkeye predator 1-8 24" barrel. I have sent 80 rounds down the barrel so far to break it in and kind of see what it likes. I shot both the Hornady 140 g eld and 143 g eld x. My gun didn't like the 143g at all unfortunatly. I will be hunting a verity of game with the rifle. And cm completely open to you guys opinion and experience. Thanks

Re: New to forum! Need help

Reply #1
Most of the guys shoot either eld well. Why was the X's not doing very good in your gun ?

Should also list what you are using to reload with.

Be sure to visit the reloading section.
I am not the biggest, nor the fastest.  I will not fall short or stray off my target. I am a surgical instrument, who lives in the X ring. I am the 6.5 Creedmoor with deadly precision.

Reply #2
These were just the factory ammo. I was using to break the barrel in before I build a load up. The eld x's weren't grouping very well at all, while the eld 140 were shooting around moa. I guess my question is when I do start building a round should I stay away from the x's or do you think I can get them to group different powder and setting the lands? I'm also probably going to try the berger vld in either 130 or 140.

Reply #3
You could get better performance just using a different powder than the stuff Hornady is. Of course, tuning the load to your rifle will always help. Use a slow powder, jump around 0.015" to 0.020" to start your OCW workup, and tweak OAL from there.
Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.
I have a lot of guns... There, I said it.

Reply #4
 Also. The Ruger's take a while to shoot in. Mine took over a hundred rounds to really start putting them on top of each other. . Stainless Hawkeye  . You have a great rifle there. Give it a bit to shoot in and you will be pleasantly surprised..  My Hawkeye  loved everything from 110 grain pushed by Varget to  144gr Lapua s  pushed by H4350. 140gr Hunting VLD s  are superbly accurate pushed by 41.5 gr H4350. . My hunting load for big game is the 130 gr Sirocco and TSX  pushed by Rl 17. Also, I whacked almost 8" off my 26" barrel and like the rifle more than any other that I have.
If your going to be a Bush Alaskan You need a perfect winter rifle. The Ruger M77 Hawkeye SS in 6.5 Creedmoor is mine.<br>You are being watched.

Reply #5
What CTF said.  Have the same rifle as yours.  Was my first 6.5 CM and responsible for several certified deer killing rifles in other calibers being mothballed in the safe.  Mine has 80-100 through it. Did a thorough break-in and was getting about 1 1/2 inches.  Kept shooting it and one day, it all came together. Now shoots clover leafs with factory ELD-X  and Copper Creek 140 Bergers.  POI for ELD-X one inch higher than the Copper Creek Bergers.  Most of my hunting is in Louisiana thickets where 100 yards is way out there.  Usually carry something shorter and handier.  But, when I go to Texas where there are longer shot opportunities, the 77 Pred goes in the case.  Love everything about it even though I shoot it wrong handed.  Several forum members have your rifle. Am sure it will become a favorite for you.
If you have the shot, take it.

Reply #6
Also. The Ruger's take a while to shoot in. Mine took over a hundred rounds to really start putting them on top of each other. . Stainless Hawkeye  . You have a great rifle there. Give it a bit to shoot in and you will be pleasantly surprised..  My Hawkeye  loved everything from 110 grain pushed by Varget to  144gr Lapua s  pushed by H4350. 140gr Hunting VLD s  are superbly accurate pushed by 41.5 gr H4350. . My hunting load for big game is the 130 gr Sirocco and TSX  pushed by Rl 17. Also, I whacked almost 8" off my 26" barrel and like the rifle more than any other that I have.
Alaskan barrel lathe Glen? lol
RIP Chris Cornell

Reply #7
Yup. Vise  on the back of my flatbed and a Sawzall with a metal blade on it. And a medium fine 8" flat file and an RCBS case champfer Tool chucked up in a DeWalt screw gun. Then I shined the crown up with a cone bit in a Dremel Tool. That was around 3 years ago iirc.  Today, I  proved it is still perfect  ; -)
If your going to be a Bush Alaskan You need a perfect winter rifle. The Ruger M77 Hawkeye SS in 6.5 Creedmoor is mine.<br>You are being watched.