Skip to main content
Topic: Hello and HELP! (Read 835 times) previous topic - next topic

Hello and HELP!

Hello, just wanted to say how much I am excited about this forum and wanted someone to help me with a little problem. I ordered a DPMS creed and it was listed as having a 7.5 inch twist. Come to find out that that is no longer offered and the twist is 1 in 8.5. its a 24 inch bull. Called hornandy and they state that the Creedmoor was "printed" for 1in8 inch twist.Called DPMS and asked how other bullets would behave in this rifle(like swift 140GR or there interlock 160Gr ect) I plan to reload (dont think I have much of a choice!)  And dont want to be stuck with 120's because of the twist. OR, am i wrong to think this? Right now I have the option to turn away from this rifle because It was listed wrong but don't necessarily want to. I was going to get the M77 but was talked into this because they are SOO hard to find! Can someone help!!?

Re: Hello and HELP!

Reply #1
Welcome to the forum.  I will let the pros like Rob and others comment on the twist rate of your DPMS barrell, but if it was my rifle I would send it back to DPMS to get the correct barrel twist.  If you don't want to send the rifle back, you could do what Market Garden did.  He bought a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel from Fulton Armory for his .308 DPMS.  My M77 just came in and I will pick it up from my dealer tomorrow morning.  You are righ, they are hard to find.   Neither GalleryofGuns.com or BudsGunShop.com has them in stock.  I will tell you how I was able to get mine.  I created an account on BudsGunShop.com and added article 17980 to my wish list.  About a week later I got email that the rifle was in stock.  I ordered it and the next day they were out of stock again.  I did the same on GalleryofGuns, but never got in stock email from them.  Good luck!

Reply #2
I can get the M77. The place I ordered from had two. (new black laminate no less) and I was going that way because of the twist and the 28" barrel! But the DPMS was only 400 more and that's not much for such a gun. With the 7.5 twist  thought It would be perfect for the 120GR's and up to load for, but at 8.5 I don't know.... I just remember reading somewhere that the .260 rem mag was hurt in sales because they put that same twist on the barrels instead of following the Swedish model of 7.5. The article said it couldn't stabilize the heaver bullets.

Reply #3
Don't sweat it. The 8.5 twist will work fine. I know alot of people shooting 6.5mm cartridges with 8.5 twists with up to 142grn bullets. Mine has an 8 twist. I personally would like a longer barrel and a bolt gun though.