Skip to main content
Topic: 7mm Creedmoor (Read 6786 times) previous topic - next topic

7mm Creedmoor

Been reading here and there about various 7mm Creedmoor projects - does anyone on here have some experience or knowledge about 7mm Creedmoor?

If someone wanted to run with a 7mm Creedmoor project, is there a standard chamber spec out there, or would someone have to make up a dummy round and send it in to have a custom reamer made? And, how does one go about having custom dies made? I've never done anything like this before, I have no idea what is required...

I am familiar with the relative merits of 6.5 Creedmoor vs. 260 Remington - mainly, the Creedmoor allows you to  utilize relatively long 140gr high BC bullets in a short action (or AR platform) without having to seat the bullet deep into the case, which reduces powder capacity. Do the same arguments apply to a comparison between 7mm Creedmoor and 7mm-08??? In theory, would a 7 Creed offer anything over a 7-08?

Re: 7mm Creedmoor

Reply #1
7mm - Well I would keep it as simple as I could!!   I would neck up some 6.5Cm brass, seat the intended .284/7mm pill to an OAL that would feed from My receiver/magazine & send that dummy round to Dave Kiff @ PT&G and have Him grind a chamber reamer!! As for sizing dies I would have Dave make a sizing Die reamer from the same dummy and have the same smith that chambers My barrel also chamber My reamer!!
I know some guys will cringe but this is how I would do a personal 7mmCreedmoor!!!!
As for advantages over a 7mm08 I would guess that the 7mmCreedmoor would see a little better brass stability but probably suffer a little in the velocity dept. with the intermidiate and heavy .284/7mm pills. AND with the heavier bullets You would have alot of bullet below the neck/shoulder juction of the case ( If in a mag feeding short action ) and this would take up some of the powder room.. HOWEVER by increasing the bore size ( over .264/6.5mm )   If one were to stay with a bullet weight of 140-150grains You could run a faster burning and more compact powder type than 4350!!!

After some thinking ( Dangerous Right? ) I would probably go with a Nosler 150grn. LR Accubond ( assuming the intended use would be hunting first target second ) and start load development with IMR8208 powder / might need an ever so slightly slower burn rate but i have a gut feeling that 8208XBR would work quite nicely and it meters sooooooooooooooo good !!

Final thoughts - I have found the .284/7mm bore size to be a wee little bit more finicky than .264/6.5mm.. However It would be kinda cool to be the only kid on the block with a 7mmCM.  As far as ballistics goes the 7mmCreedmoor would never have the edge over the 6.5Creedmoor but If You like to have a rare critter I think this would be a cool piece of kit and If You could tolerate a little barrel length You would not really give up anything to the garden variety 7mm08 ( at least with 140-150grn. bullets )
The older I get the less I know!!

Reply #2
Ever heard of a .284 Win.

Do some research, it will beat out our 6.5 CM's every day.

Reply #3
G-Minor - I was making a direct from the 7mmCreedmoor vs. the 6.5Creedmoor  not including any other .284/7mm chambering!!

Reply #4
This is my opinion:

It seems silly (to me) to make a 7mm Creedmoor when .284 Win is available as a chambering.

The original .284 Win will beat a 6.5-284, 7mm-08, .260 Rem, 6.5 CM etc, all day long and still fit in a short action.

Reply #5
Now, with that being said, a .284 win repeater would be better in a Long action, but it can be done in a Short action and still feed from the magazines.

Reply #6
G - While I may agree with You - the fact is that some shooters just like to have something a little different  nothing wrong with that right?? Heck brother - I shoot a 30-06 just because almost nobody else does!! People are people and some just want to be a bit strange - Me included!!   But Yes when talking shear ballistic numbers the straight 284Win. is quite awesome!!!

Reply #7
Kiff may already have a reamer print already. Right after the 6mm Creedmoor came out someone made a 7MM Creedmoor. It was somewhat popular/hyped up on the Internet. I haven't heard anything about it in a while.

Mark Gordon at ShortActionCustoms was chambering barrels in 7 Creedmoor. Reporting 2750+ velocities with 168 AMAX. He also used to sell the dies. Not sure about now.

Reply #8

This is my opinion:

It seems silly (to me) to make a 7mm Creedmoor when .284 Win is available as a chambering.

The original .284 Win will beat a 6.5-284, 7mm-08, .260 Rem, 6.5 CM etc, all day long and still fit in a short action.

The .284win is TOO much for a lot of things. It is great for target work and if you need a blistering 7mm to hunt with. Comparing the 7mm Creedmoor to a .284win is a little lopsided. Their purposes aren't the same.

I'm personally considering building a 7mm Creedmoor because the 7-08 is technically too powerful for my main sport but we need the high inertia/momentum of the 168gr 7mm bullets to knock down steel targets. My 6.5 Creedmoor does a fantastic job but at some ranges the 140/142 grain bullets do not hold together and have enough momentum into the target to knock them down.

Reply #9
Agree with G that the .284 Win is better suited for a long action - my buddy did his 1,000 yard target rifle in a straight 284 Win in a long-action rem 700, with a custom throat to seat Berger 180s out far so as not intrude on the case capacity (which the 180 berger would definitely do if chambered in a short action, unless you were ok with a single-shot). His loaded rounds look like a 6.5-284, with a large chunk of naked bullet showing... :D With his 28" barrel, he actually comes close to 7mm mag velocities with a lot less powder. I asked him, why not a 280 Remington? He was of the mind that the short, fat powder column would potentially reduce Sd and ES.

Not sure if muzzle velocity is the end-all be-all here - otherwise, my 7mm WSM beats all comers (in a short action), but I can tell you right now that my 7 WSM is NOT my favorite rifle, kicks to hard, accuracy comes and goes (mostly goes), and is really a pain in my rear.

I think the obvious comparison is between 7-08 and 7 Creedmoor - does 7 Creedmoor have the same advantages over 7-08 that 6.5 Cr has over 260 rem? I would think 7 CR would handle the long 7mm bullets better than the 7-08, or at least equally well. Quickload seems to suggest that 7-08, with a 168gr Accubond LR seated to 2.800" OAL, has 47.3gr (water) usable space left, and 7mm Creedmoor has 48.0gr usable space, with the same bullet and same OAL (ok, it's just a rough estimate from a software program, but it seems to suggest they'd be about even on the powder capacity).

Reply #10
I don't more believe that a 284 is a better caliber than a 6.5 no more than I can fly the space shuttle.
they do have a good b.c. but I don't have any problems with them in competition. they're just another victim to the creedmoor  haha
"kill em all"

Reply #11

G - While I may agree with You - the fact is that some shooters just like to have something a little different  nothing wrong with that right?? Heck brother - I shoot a 30-06 just because almost nobody else does!! People are people and some just want to be a bit strange - Me included!!   But Yes when talking shear ballistic numbers the straight 284Win. is quite awesome!!!

Nope, nothing wrong with that at all! My standpoint comes strictly from a LR perspective. 1000 yards and beyond. If I had a LA to start I would be waiting on a .284 instead of the 6.5 CM, but I'm not, and the smith says my rifle will be on its way back to me by the end of the month. All hail TS Customs and Benchmark!

If for a purpose built silhouette gun the extra whammy provided by the heavier 7mm pills would do the trick and not beat the hell out of you.

Anyways, I have a sick 2 year old in my bed. If better get to sleep, I have to get up at 3:00am to watch the 3 week old. You guys take it easy.

Reply #12
g minor,
your sick little one is on my heart and I hope that him/her gets well really soon. I remember when my 3 were little ,man a bad fever or stomach virus made for some looong nights when I had to go to work the next day. take good care of em as I know you will. good luck, theryre the future of our passion.
"kill em all"