Skip to main content
Topic: V2 Finale Long Range F class invitational championship  (Read 312 times) previous topic - next topic

V2 Finale Long Range F class invitational championship

Started loading today for the V2 Finale up at Dead Zero range in East Tennessee next weekend .  My father and I punched out about 300 rds this morning. Only 150 to go....woohoo!!!  I will need 348rds for record/sighter if I make it to the final the long way around. We will have an open practice on Thursday and I plan on fine tuning the seating depth and run a barrel tuner test.  That, and the need for foulers (only 2 convertible sighters per match, explains the ridiculous amount of ammunition needed for a 3 day match. I feel better about my chances going in than I have in a long time. I think I will have the trigger slappin’ monkey tamed a bit :-[  They will be live streaming some selected matches and I will post the appropriate link once it is published. It is going to be one fun match.

https://www.facebook.com/F-Class-Points-Series-101485874960399

Re: V2 Finale Long Range F class invitational championship

Reply #1
Similar preparations for the Rendevouz here, figure 250 minimum to allow shooting a powder test and a seating test.

I'll test and load there so about all I can do here is have brass ready, for two guns. Can only shoot one and I'm leaning towards the 47L but if the BRAs wanting to shoot I'll shoot it.
Dave

Reply #2
I’m prepping for two events. Standard 1000 yd this coming weekend at CRC followed immediately by the  Rendezvous. Working with about 400 cases this weekend. I will load for CRC but like Dave just brass prep for the Rendezvous.
Robin we are all going to be pulling for you! Go get em’ !!

Reply #3
Good luck and good shooting to all three of you guys.  You have some big matches coming up.  
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

Reply #4
Good luck to all you guys..
Grant

Reply #5
Similar preparations for the Rendevouz here, figure 250 minimum to allow shooting a powder test and a seating test.

I'll test and load there so about all I can do here is have brass ready, for two guns. Can only shoot one and I'm leaning towards the 47L but if the BRAs wanting to shoot I'll shoot it.
I’m prepping for two events. Standard 1000 yd this coming weekend at CRC followed immediately by the  Rendezvous. Working with about 400 cases this weekend. I will load for CRC but like Dave just brass prep for the Rendezvous.
Robin we are all going to be pulling for you! Go get em’ !!
I almost bought a ticket to come hang out with you guys for a week.
Best of luck to the both of ya!

Reply #6
The Rendevouz looks like it will be a fun format.  Good luck to both of you!

Reply #7
Loaded for bear!  A match procedure clarification was just issued stating no formal 'blow off' period before the sighters for the first match of the day.  Fortunately my barrel shoots fine cold with only a few shots for fouling.  I will have to to it post cleaning the night before or in a pistol bay early before matches commence.  I've always had a blow-off into the berm (targets in the pits) before the first match of the day at long range.  This will make it very interesting.

Reply #8
500 rounds.. 😁
Grant

Reply #10
Loaded for bear!  A match procedure clarification was just issued stating no formal 'blow off' period before the sighters for the first match of the day.  Fortunately my barrel shoots fine cold with only a few shots for fouling.  I will have to to it post cleaning the night before or in a pistol bay early before matches commence.  I've always had a blow-off into the berm (targets in the pits) before the first match of the day at long range.  This will make it very interesting.

Do you guys load long when doing that many?

Reply #11
Do you guys load long when doing that many?

Good question.  I loaded all of these 0.010" long (0.005" in the lands from light touch) as I will be doing a fine seating depth test to see which edge of 0.005" off the lands the load starts to open up and then I'll seat them all to the desired depth.  However, this barrel/powder/cartridge combination shows a throat erosion rate of 0.001" per 200 rounds at the most; in this case I am comfortable with a single depth.  If my load falls off 0.002" further in I'll seat them all at my current depth.  If it shoots the same further in I'll load that longer depth knowing if I lose some throat it will be back to the currently good shooting jump...etc.  My .284 lost about 0.001" throat per 100-120 rounds so I would load my 3rd/4th day of a national 0.001" longer and so on if I was shooting 6 days.  This 7 Sherman short mag, with the long neck, 40deg shoulder, and very cool burning powders (like H1000 and N165) running moderate velocities is a pussy cat on throat erosion.  I have just over 1300rds on the tube at present and anticipate having at least another 300 (hopefully more if I advance to finals :D ) and I am not worried about losing the barrel.  edit- my throat has not moved more than 0.004" since about 300rds best I can measure.

So, to answer your question, it depends on the cartridge/ load/ powder choice.  If I was shooting F-TR and running a .308 with 200-20X bullets at a modest velocity I would keep the depth the same over a 4 day match.  If I was running 180 Berger hybrids at 3000fps with H4350 I would adding a thou or two for each day...maybe have an extra barrel for a week long match :o .

Reply #12
Robin, I have a question.... I know you are a pro competitor but you talk about changing out barrels when erosion takes over but....#1 - do you order multiple barrels when you build a gun or #2 do you have a secret phone # to call up the barrel mfg to instantly get a new stick.   My experience is when I decide to build something different, I gotta wait 4 to 6 months to get a barrel.... am I missing something here?

Mike

Reply #13
Robin, I have a question.... I know you are a pro competitor but you talk about changing out barrels when erosion takes over but....#1 - do you order multiple barrels when you build a gun or #2 do you have a secret phone # to call up the barrel mfg to instantly get a new stick.   My experience is when I decide to build something different, I gotta wait 4 to 6 months to get a barrel.... am I missing something here?

Mike

Definitely no pro here Mike; this is actually the first tournament I have shot that would actually pay expenses for the match If I placed well....very well anyway ;) .  Yes, when I order barrels I order well in advance of when I think I'll need it.  If I know a particular barrel mfg./twist rate/rifling configuration works very well with a bullet/chambering I plan on campaigning for a couple of years I'll order two at a time.  I have only ordered direct from the manufacturer when using smaller production makers (K&P and Schneider).  For Bartlein and Krieger I usually order from Grizzly or Bugholes.  Bartlein will offer special pricing for national or big regional matches that requires preorder and pick-up at the match.  The last couple of times I have done that the price was $300 per barrel (no tax/ no shipping).  That is a smoking deal for a 1.25" blank to finish at 30"+.  This chambering/bullet/powder/velocity looks like barrels will be good to 1800rds or a little more.  I sure as hell hope this one (Schneider) lasts near there because I'll be knocking on the door of 1800rds by next Sunday :o .  I ordered two of them since Gary has a 6 mo. turnaround time and I did not want to get caught out if the first one was a hummer; I anticipated 1200 precision round life span for a barrel at that time.

Reply #14
It is a smart move to get in two or three barrels for a comp rifle. Break all of them in with a couple hundred rounds and have your load developed for each one of them. Pick one to start and put the other (s) in reserve. Unfortunately, barrels sometimes don’t give you a lot of warning before they fizzle. If you are in the middle of a season and one goes, your back ups are there ready to go and you already know what each of them likes. My 6 BRA Lilja is dining well right now but I have a hummer Krieger just waiting in the wings with only 400 rounds down the bore. It’s a good feeling. 😊