Skip to main content
Topic: Savage Axis II Precision, am I overthinking my issue? (Read 164 times) previous topic - next topic

Savage Axis II Precision, am I overthinking my issue?

First up, new member, found this forum trying to figure out if I'm doing something wrong...

Here's my tale of woe.
As the title says, I've got an Axis II Precision (6.5 Creedmoor) and I love it.  I've been shooting American Gunner 140gr but as it's gotten tough to find ammo I took the plunge to start reloading.  What I'm running into is, any cases I've resized and trimmed, do NOT seem to like to seat easily in the rifle.  Now, being a paranoid sort, I've been working with resized and trimmed, but not primed, powdered, and bulleted rounds.

Today, I decided to try and a couple different factory brands I've got, and they both seemed to be somewhat the same, I can get the bolt to within about 1/8-3/8" of closed with no force, but it seems to be requiring more force than the American Gunner needed (that was almost a 2 fingers to push closed and lock.)  The factory ammo I tried today is Sellier & Belloit and some Federal.

Using a Hornady case comparator (the .375" die per Hornady) my recently fired, resized, and both the factory loads all measured out the same.  Unfortunately, I don't have any of the American Gunner left to check...

Is it me, is it the rifle, or what?
Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Savage Axis II Precision, am I overthinking my issue?

Reply #1
welcome jay... you found a good place for info on the 6.5 creedmoor along with a host of other carts... a couple questions for ya... how many rounds have you shot down your axis... and how often have you been cleaning it... if their has been several rounds down it you could have a carbon ring formed in the chamber...  as far as the comparator goes you want to measure a fired case... then when you resize that case you want it to push that shoulder of the case back about .002... just keep screwing your sizing die in a little bit at a time ( 1/8 turn at a time) till you see it start getting shorter...  being as the factory rounds arent wanting to chamber i suspect you have a carbon ring causing you problems... a good cleaning of the chamber should take care of the issue... but you still need to bump the shoulder back a couple thousandths on them fired cases when sizing..
Grant

Reply #2
Thank you!

OK, so the rifle could probably stand a cleaning, I want to say this is the 2nd range trip without a cleaning.

What I've found using the comparator is my once-fired and just re-sized AND the factory ammo all come out to about the same size, to within a hair (~.007 difference.)  Factory is 1.559, once fired is 1.562, and resized is also 1.562 (or 1.561 if I'm gently pushing the caliper closed)
I'm really wishing I still had at least one unfired round of the American Gunner, to be able to see if it's maybe "smaller" than the factory stuff I've got now.
As for the die, I'm presuming you mean screwing the entire die down into the press, which I've been doing.  I did note when taking a piece of brass I'd prepped for resizing and putting it through the die, the shell holder is coming in contact with the bottom of the die.  Much as I don't want to contemplate this, maybe I need to remove a few 1/100s from the die itself?

Reply #3
Thank you!

OK, so the rifle could probably stand a cleaning, I want to say this is the 2nd range trip without a cleaning.

What I've found using the comparator is my once-fired and just re-sized AND the factory ammo all come out to about the same size, to within a hair (~.007 difference.)  Factory is 1.559, once fired is 1.562, and resized is also 1.562 (or 1.561 if I'm gently pushing the caliper closed)
I'm really wishing I still had at least one unfired round of the American Gunner, to be able to see if it's maybe "smaller" than the factory stuff I've got now.
As for the die, I'm presuming you mean screwing the entire die down into the press, which I've been doing.  I did note when taking a piece of brass I'd prepped for resizing and putting it through the die, the shell holder is coming in contact with the bottom of the die.  Much as I don't want to contemplate this, maybe I need to remove a few 1/100s from the die itself?

.007" is not a hair.... more like a quarter mile in terms of resizing, if once fired is 1.562" you need to be resizing between 1.559" & 1.560"

Keep cranking the die in 1/8 turn at a time until you get movement of the shoulder as Grant said. It's normal to contact the shoulder.
Dave

Reply #4
If you can't get the case to bump don't try to turn your die down put a piece of fine sandpaper down on a hard flat surface then run the shell holder upside down across it, rotating 1/4 turn frequently to keep it flat until you get the clearance you need.

You can also run a feeler gage between the case head and shell holder to stage it farther into the die.
Dave

Reply #6
If you can't get the case to bump don't try to turn your die down put a piece of fine sandpaper down on a hard flat surface then run the shell holder upside down across it, rotating 1/4 turn frequently to keep it flat until you get the clearance you need

Any suggestions on the grit for the sandpaper, or is this a "you're going to be doing this for a while, so bring a movie" sort of things?
Been working at it with some (I think) 220 grit I had laying around and now I can see 1.560" sometimes while turning the brass and slightly squeezing the caliper closed...

gman47564 - Watched the video, I'm definitely going to change my measuring technique to what he suggested.

Possibly, is it my press?  It's a Lee breechlock, and I'm only hand-tightening the "breech" into the press, is it possible it's got enough "wiggle room" that I'm not getting into the die like I should be?  I've also got an older Lee Champion (non-breechlock) and I'm going to try swapping the die into that and seeing if I get better results, as well.

Reply #7
I don't think your press will cam over so you have to get it all in the shell holder. I usually use the black 600? Grit wet or dry. You're pretty close and rotating the case while very lightly squeezing the caliper is a good method just don't squeeze too hard.
Dave

Reply #8
Alot of people think once the shell holder touches the die thats as much as its going to size.. i suggest keep screwing that die in a little more.. im betting it will size your case like it needs to be.. been doing this a long time and have never had to sand a shell holder down.. now i may have to tomorrow but so far i never have..
Grant

Reply #9
I had a problem with factory Barnes ammo not chambering.
Barnes was using Remington to load their bullets and Remington
didn't do a very good job in checking the dimensions of the brass
they used.
Not saying that's your problem, but some factory rounds might
not be the same as others.
Hornady has a good sized case for their different 6.5 Creed rounds.

Reloading is a long and slow process. You will learn something new every
day. Don't rush

Reply #10
Reloading is a long and slow process. You will learn something new every day. Don't rush

Oh heck no!  It's why I'm trying to get cases that fit the rifle "right" before I start putting the powder and bullets in.

Reply #11
My Lee breechlock is at another place right now, my question will it cam over? I seem to remember not and I ask because while I agree with you Grant about die contact I think this is the exception to the rule. IIRC this is why Lee claims you need to apply 25# pressure to the handle using an LCD because you don't get the compound leverage of thecam over.

Maybe I'm wrong I haven't used it in years.
Dave

Reply #12
Another thing to keep in mind is not all shell holders are created equal.. it may be as simple as using a different shell holder if you have a different one
Grant

Reply #13
So for the next person to run into this, someone elsewhere pointed me at what seems to have been the problem.

I didn't put a shot of lube into the die, so the expander was pulling the shoulder back out on the way out.  Put a shot into the die like the directions on the can said to do (and I ignored,) ran a fresh case through, and it came out at 1.560" on the first try, slid into the chamber like it wanted to be there on the rifle and the bolt closed like butter.

Thank you to everyone here who helped out as well!

Reply #14
glad you got it sorted out...
Grant