Skip to main content
Topic: Just bought the Ruger Precision 22LR (Read 211 times) previous topic - next topic

Just bought the Ruger Precision 22LR

Well Ive been thinking about grabbing a 22 for awhile now, figured they aint going to get any cheaper LOL so Im just waiting on the background check, they told me they should have an answer buy Monday, CBI (Colorado Bureau of Investigations) is only taking two to three days now, but the shop is closed on Mondays lol so I will know on Tuesday.
Some of you may remember the headache cause by CBI's screw up when I bought the creedmoor, I "pray" that doesnt happen again.
So later today, I grabbed a few boxes 50 rounds each, to see which brand it will like better and WOOOW I forgot just how small,,, 22's really are  :) they are tiny....
Well wish me luck that the CBI actually does their jobs "correctly" and I have no issues this time.
Any advise on ammo or a scope is welcome.

Re: Just bought the Ruger Precision 22LR

Reply #1
Ric that is a fun little gun to shoot.. accurate as heck.. I've had one for awhile now.. tried several different brands of ammo in mine and most of them shot well but a couple stood out and they were the cci green tag sub sonic i think their called and the standard cci lr.. i couldn't tell ya how many starlings has fell victim to the rpr..
Grant

Reply #2
Very nice, I think it will be fun and cheap to shoot all day. I will look for some of that ammo, much appreciated

Reply #3
Try some different ammo and see how it does but if shooting it at longer ranges try and find something a little higher up the food chain as the ES/SD will be better. I only shoot subsonics as sometimes the transonic can cause accuracy issues so I just take that out of  the equation. How far you plan to shoot it? Also what's your scope budget?

Reply #4
Ric, you will have a great time with that rifle.  I've been shooting some 50 yard matches with my 22lr's and have a great time.  Definitely try some different lots of ammo.  If you can find some of the better stuff (RWS, Eley etc) give them a try.  I also put a barrel tuner on mine and that helped some too....but it depends on what you plan to use the rifle for.  Have fun.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

Reply #5
Try some different ammo and see how it does but if shooting it at longer ranges try and find something a little higher up the food chain as the ES/SD will be better. I only shoot subsonics as sometimes the transonic can cause accuracy issues so I just take that out of  the equation. How far you plan to shoot it? Also what's your scope budget?
I will try different ammo for sure, as for how farI plan to shoot with it, I was hoping a mile or so.. LMAO just kidding, prob just 50-100 yards, Im sure at some point I will try a little further just to see lol.. As far as the scope budget I dont think I want to spend more than $400 max since this is going to be just for fun and shooting paper and steel targets.
Thanks all

Reply #6
Ric, you will have a great time with that rifle.  I've been shooting some 50 yard matches with my 22lr's and have a great time.  Definitely try some different lots of ammo.  If you can find some of the better stuff (RWS, Eley etc) give them a try.  I also put a barrel tuner on mine and that helped some too....but it depends on what you plan to use the rifle for.  Have fun.

not sure what a "barrel tuner" is I will research it. Thanks

Reply #8
I will try different ammo for sure, as for how farI plan to shoot with it, I was hoping a mile or so.. LMAO just kidding, prob just 50-100 yards, Im sure at some point I will try a little further just to see lol.. As far as the scope budget I dont think I want to spend more than $400 max since this is going to be just for fun and shooting paper and steel targets.
Thanks all

You would be surprised at how far the little .22 can go. I shoot regularly in matches to 300-450 yards and have shot mine over 500 yards for fun. Wind will be the biggest thing to watch but it’s fun.

Take a look at the Diamondback Tactical 6-24x from Vortex. It’s in your price range and a good scope for a .22 for your intended purpose. I have had the Strike Eagle 5-25 on my .22 for a while and it’s really good for a long range .22. Lots of elevation but it’s around $700 unless you are LE/Mil/Vet/First responder and then it will be about $500.

Reply #9
Little off topic and a little (very) on.  Had a buddy that would go with me shooting prairie dogs in Northern AZ.  I would walk him in with his S&W 22lr on shots 300+yrd.  One mutt was say out there.  He finely runs out of scope and all he sees is mountians in the background.  He got to the treeline and still missed........

Get a scope that can handle what you want it to do.
Tell me about the rabbits George, tell me about the rabbits.......

Reply #10
well the shop called me today, said I was clear to pick it up... So glad that CBI didnt do a repeat of when I bought the Creedmoor. already got a bipod my buddy is going to give a older BSA scope so "if" the weather holds here we will the range this weekend but, sadly its suppose to rain all weekend

Reply #11
At my Club we have monthly 100 and bimonthly 50 yd. bench rest matches.  We let the RPR 22LR's shoot in the factory class and they are competitive with Ruger 77's, CZ's, Savages and Tika's.  Barrel tuners are not allowed and mid priced amo like SKS Match, Eley Match,  or Club and RWS Match are the minimum to have any chance at winning.  Like computers, garbage in, garbage out.  Same with scopes.