Skip to main content
Topic: 5.6 CM barrel life (Read 184 times) previous topic - next topic

5.6 CM barrel life

Lately I've read in a few online and print gun magazines that the 6.5CM is a cartridge that creates a "short barrel life".

Gotta say, that's news to me. So what it the TRUE story?

Erci B.
"I can stop buying guns and gun stuff anytime I want - I've done it hundreds of times."

Re: 5.6 CM barrel life

Reply #1
I cannot put any cartridges with generally less than 50 grain capacity into the barrel burner sort of category. Too much depends on how much time is between shots, in my opinion, and not necessarily the type of jacketed bullet or the bore diameter.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.
Every man has got to know his limits.

Reply #2
Was it Craig Boddington?  He just can't let it go.   ::)
If you have the shot, take it.

Reply #3
Of the two barrels I have replaced in 6.5 Creedmoor the first a 29" Hart at 2,300+ and the second a Kreger at 2,500+ both used in F-Class where 20 shots in 30 minutes plus sighters is the norm more than satisfied my expectations for barrel life.  They were still less than 1 MOA but groups were growing and off they came.  The average hunting rifle won't get nearly that many rounds down the pipe in it's life.

Reply #4
I quit worrying about barrel life years ago. They sell new ones.

Reply #5
Dump truck loads of old rifle barrels have one thing in common: too much heat for too long. In its early days, the so-called barrel burners had the same degree of metallurgical development as the non-burners, so the differences had to be the time between shots. Was the 300 Weatherby called a barrel burner? Not likely because the recoil may very well put a quick stop to the shoot-shoot-shoot mentality.
A friend was having quick copper build up with a 300 WSM. Turns out he shot rounds so fast the chamber end of the barrel had a lot of cracking, as a bore scope revealed. The bore had a generally rough surface in front of the lede. That rough area was taking off excessive amounts of copper and making his accuracy much less than desirable after about 20 shots.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.
Every man has got to know his limits.

Reply #6
The Marshall has it right.  Heat kills barrels.  That's why they call it barrel burning.  The more powder the more heat, the quicker you shoot the more heat.  Some powders are lower in flame temperature that may help and overbore rounds MAY cause throat abrasion as yet unburned powder flows over the throat before igniting.  Still heat is by far the major cause of shot out barrels.  The reason I compete with the 6.5 Creedmoor instead of the 6.5 284 Norma is the much shorter barrel life of the Norma.  I give up 125-150 fps but get over twice as many rounds per barrel and quality barrels and gunsmithing are not cheep.