Skip to main content
Topic: Bitterroot Valley (Read 260 times) previous topic - next topic

Bitterroot Valley

Well the move to Idaho worked out well for the wife & I as we sold our spread there for close to $1million over what we paid for it 18 months prior. We decided to join some friends in the Bitterroot Valley in Montana due to the large amount of development happening in our neck of the woods and the crowd was what I was trying to escape in California. I had not been here since the early 80s and coming back felt so good. This place is a world class flyfishing paradise as well as wildlife refuge. We downsized from 42 acres to 10 but with trees, a creek and a pond out back and a nice sized pasture out front. People in Montana are very pleasant and a bit more balanced than in Idaho. Idaho is freaking out over the development and are far from prepared for what is about to happen to their sleepy towns in the southwest. We were lucky to find the home that we did and then listed and sold our house in about 4 hours from the time it listed a.nd had it closed in 3 weeks. So far we have enjoyed the deer herd, the turkey cruising through daily, the quail, ducks and geese on the pond and expect the elk back next winter. The plan is to raise a few head of cattle to continue with the ag tax exemptions and supplement our retirement and give us a tax shelter, planting the pasture in alfalfa this spring. There is a rifle range about 5 miles from the house and will be happy to be back to someplace that is a bit more organized than the sh!tshow on the BLM land behind our house in Idaho.
https://i.imgur.com/tGQqtTl.mp4
Turkey in the tree while having coffee on the deck
https://i.imgur.com/D8bHkkS.mp4
my creek
I plan on getting a quality video camera and start making videos in the yard of my resident critters and calling them into decoys and such. The property is going to remain hunt free especially to firearms due to the close by homes
Chris
Yup! That is a 6.5 in my saddle scabbard

Re: Bitterroot Valley

Reply #1
Well the move to Idaho worked out well for the wife & I as we sold our spread there for close to $1million over what we paid for it 18 months prior. We decided to join some friends in the Bitterroot Valley in Montana due to the large amount of development happening in our neck of the woods and the crowd was what I was trying to escape in California. I had not been here since the early 80s and coming back felt so good. This place is a world class flyfishing paradise as well as wildlife refuge. We downsized from 42 acres to 10 but with trees, a creek and a pond out back and a nice sized pasture out front. People in Montana are very pleasant and a bit more balanced than in Idaho. Idaho is freaking out over the development and are far from prepared for what is about to happen to their sleepy towns in the southwest. We were lucky to find the home that we did and then listed and sold our house in about 4 hours from the time it listed a.nd had it closed in 3 weeks. So far we have enjoyed the deer herd, the turkey cruising through daily, the quail, ducks and geese on the pond and expect the elk back next winter. The plan is to raise a few head of cattle to continue with the ag tax exemptions and supplement our retirement and give us a tax shelter, planting the pasture in alfalfa this spring. There is a rifle range about 5 miles from the house and will be happy to be back to someplace that is a bit more organized than the sh!tshow on the BLM land behind our house in Idaho.
https://i.imgur.com/tGQqtTl.mp4
Turkey in the tree while having coffee on the deck
https://i.imgur.com/D8bHkkS.mp4
my creek
I plan on getting a quality video camera and start making videos in the yard of my resident critters and calling them into decoys and such. The property is going to remain hunt free especially to firearms due to the close by homes
sounds lile you are livin the dream Capt. Livin my dream that is! I searched Mt.ldaho & WY for the past 3 years & still am looking. Talking my wife into pulling roots is another thing.actually we drove through your area on our last trip to CA to visit my daughter. My daughter and her husband have escaped Califonia now too to TN.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #2
I've looked at north ID for over a year now, it's pretty much too late to find any deals there. Good for you to get in, out and clip a nice coupon as a bonus.
Chris

Reply #3
sounds lile you are livin the dream Capt. Livin my dream that is! I searched Mt.ldaho & WY for the past 3 years & still am looking. Talking my wife into pulling roots is another thing.actually we drove through your area on our last trip to CA to visit my daughter. My daughter and her husband have escaped Califonia now too to TN.

My daughter was skeptical about Montana until she woke up and stepped out onto the porch with her coffee and said she wants to live here. She even had that particular talk with my son in law about coming here to live when they leve Okinowa. Life is so less stressful here. It is a tourist destination and folks know how to be civil as you cater to to the tourist dollar that feeds your family. on top of that there is a ton of things to do here including 4 breweries and a couple of distilleries.
Chris

Reply #4
I've looked at north ID for over a year now, it's pretty much too late to find any deals there. Good for you to get in, out and clip a nice coupon as a bonus.
They land rush is happening and it is getting expensive. We bought our home for $990K and was listed the year before at $780K.  4 more homes on my road in Idaho are on the market with 2 of them already in escrow.that makes 5 out of 10. I think I started something there. I am searching for land to buy and sit on for my daughter and son in law to build on in a few years.  think it is the only way they will mbe able to afford a home up here.
Chris

Reply #5
The california people could love my home and 11 acres for a million bucks any day of the week. Then westbound we would be rolling.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #6
Capt, We had friends who lived on the East side of the Bitterroot River just outside Florence.  The fishing was great.  They finally sold out and moved to Anaconda to be nearer family and downsize but it is nice where they are as well.  There is a great Range outside Missoula up in the National Forest where I have shot 1,000 yd. F-Class and plan to again in September.  They also have long range bench rest and other ranges as well.  Is that the range you are talking about?  I'm glad you are happy.

Reply #7
Maybe we will meet at the Whittecar range one of these days.

Welcome from John in Stevensville.

Reply #9
At 13 was dragged kicking and screaming out of the Bitterroot to Phoenix due to dad's health. Sadly everything has become ridiculously over priced and though far from poor cannot afford to move back home  Don't know how the young kids will ever stay there after the finish school