Skip to main content
Topic: blemished bullets (Read 470 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: blemished bullets

Reply #15
Your OAL range is not a “blemish”. That is  very respectable even for hand pulled bullets. Bergers often run significantly over that - up in the 0.014 - 0.021 range for some lots. Sounds like you got a very good batch of bullets Grant. 👍

Reply #16
It warms my heart to see you sorting bullets Grant 😂 no way to know if there's a real turd hid in the rest without laying hands on ALL of them.

Wouldn't want to wreck a group you know!
Dave

Reply #17
I think i did too jerry.. i also checked several in the zeroed box with a 20 caliber insert.. thinking it would be more inline with where my seating stem would make contact.  I only checked about 30 but they all checked zero.. .. i went ahead and weighed a few also and they weighed from 146.5 to 147.7.. i think im going to throw them all back in the box and shoot them when i need them.. hope the 6mm 103's are as good..
Grant

Reply #18
It warms my heart to see you sorting bullets Grant 😂 no way to know if there's a real turd hid in the rest without laying hands on ALL of them.

Wouldn't want to wreck a group you know!

I hate sortuing bullets..lol
Grant

Reply #19
I hate sortuing bullets..lol

I did 750 VT 103 hand pulleds yesterday. If I culled 5 from the short end they were within .003" on 745 B to O with and the whole batch was within .010" OAL, sorting OAL to .005" and B to O to .001" 70% of the bullets went into one bin.

That's pretty good actually.

I'd agree with Jerry your blems sorted well!
Dave

Reply #21
He just made a millon dollars.. your not going to hurt his wallet..😉
Grant

Reply #22
So i have some regular 147 grain eldm's.. i measured oal on a couple of them.. they were within .002 of the blems.. i then measured base to ogive on a couple regular ones.. base to ogive measured .799.. base to ogive on the blems measure .826.. so im assuming the ogive is alot farther forward.. humpf
Grant

Reply #23
I just finished weight sorting 500 Nosler 105 gr 6mm RDF's with a Lyman 2000 digital scale. The nervous twitch has now subsided and I can report the variation was from 104.6gr  to 105.3 gr.  The vast majority were from 104.8gr to 105.2 gr.  I will use those for 600 yd. F-Class and keep them sorted and use the rest for fowlers.  I may spot check a few in each weight to see what base to ogive length is but I am afraid to subject myself to doing all of them just for 600 yds.  I do not trust them beyond that and use only Sierra and Berger's at 1,000 yds.  These were not blems.  I have bought some Hornady 68 gr HPBT's from Midway in the past for High Power practice with my AR-15's with good results at 100 and 200 yards reduced course, but no longer compete in that.

Reply #24
Interesting, @boltman13 if I were going to sort by only one parameter for 600 yards it would be base to ogive.

Brian Litz said that once in an interview, not saying I'm right or you are wrong. That's what's cool about all this is we all get to decide what's important for ourselves.

A couple winters ago I sorted a several thousand bullets from different makers to several parameters and found base to ogive and OAL were the only place to catch a variance on any of them.
OAL being the worst but then after measuring base to seater stem it was clear all the OAL variance was between the seater stem and meplat and under magnification it was pretty obvious it was the meplat themselves.

With all that being said like I stated above I sort to .001" on ogive and .005" OAL with the real benefit being I catch 4 - 10 freaks per 1000 that are way off from the rest. They get used as foulers.

Don't know if it matters but it makes me feel better. 
Dave

Reply #25
Under 400 I think it takes a radical dimensional deviation to show on the target. Definitely evident at 600. At a 1000 even mild deviations result in group break down. Just my opinion and the guide I use to make my bullet selection decisions. At 1000, I even don’t want to use rejects for my sighter rounds.

Reply #26
He just made a millon dollars.. your not going to hurt his wallet..😉
and spent that $1,000,000 on the new house and flat broke again.
Chris
Yup! That is a 6.5 in my saddle scabbard

Reply #28
I finally found what made the 103 gr bullets blems.. they was 2 in a box of 100 that looked like this..
Grant

Reply #29
My eyes aren't what they used to be Grant; is that a banana shape or a scruffed jacket, or both?
Chris