Skip to main content
Topic: blemished bullets (Read 472 times) previous topic - next topic

blemished bullets

im going to try some blemished bullets... midway has 6.5mm 147 grain bullets in bulk packaging (500 count) on sale and availible... only people making 147 gr. bullets that i know of is hornady... i will sort them base to ogive and if i end up with 3 or 400 good ones i will be happy... tired of not being able to buy the stuff i want... so i will try other means... i also bought 300 . 103 gr. 6 mm blems... no clue who made them..  if none of them will shoot i will melt them down and make 44 mag or 45 acp bullets out of them.. lol

fed up with looking for components... 
Grant

Re: blemished bullets

Reply #1
I'd consider measuring them OAL also, tipped bullets are usually very close but being blems I'd have to know. Then I'd probably put a .22 insert in the comparator to measure base to seater stem.

This would all be dependent of what your expectations for the are though.
Dave

Reply #2
I will give them a pretty good look over dave.. the description makes it sound like the blemish is mainly from discoloration on the jackets.. i dunno.. have never bought any.. but im gonna find out.  Lol
Grant

Reply #3
I've heard the same about blems but I'd grab a random handful and measure the crap out of them anyway.
Dave

Reply #4
Grant, it's a crap shoot with their bullets.
I had a good pile of them with odd colored tips and
had another that some of the tips were in and other were
hanging on barely and some kinda bent.
The copper jackets are discolored in places on some.
These were years apart. Don't know how they are now.
I still hear some are good.

Reply #5
I'd consider measuring them OAL also, tipped bullets are usually very close but being blems I'd have to know. Then I'd probably put a .22 insert in the comparator to measure base to seater stem.

I have 2 6.5 inserts, i flattened (oblonged) a flat base bullet & put it in one of the inserts up side down. I have two hornady caliper adapters for each jaw of the caliper. The flat based bullet in the second 6.5 insert serves as the base for oal and bto.
Grant, uncle larry gets a lot of hornady seconds. This winter i picked up 500 speer deep curl seconds that were HBN coated as well as 200+ hornady spbt 140s all sorted out close bto. The seconds value is easier on the cc bill.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #6

when loading i most often record both bullet oal & bto on my daa sheet. Also coal and cbto which most often corelate to the bullet measurements.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #7
I will give them a pretty good look over dave.. the description makes it sound like the blemish is mainly from discoloration on the jackets.. i dunno.. have never bought any.. but im gonna find out.  Lol

Thanks Grant for posting this.  I'm looking forward to seeing what you find out once you start sorting and measuring.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

Reply #8
I just got a batch of 500 140 grain blemished bullets from Midway. I got so tired of looking at empty shelves and of seeing my target ammo go from 95 cents a round to $2.8 online. They are HPBT at 1.33 inches long. They are more streamlined and longer than what I was using for target practice ammo. I measured some of them and found up to a 6 thousands variation in the position of the ogive and up to a 6 grain variation in weight. I'm not concerned. I plan on using these as target practice ammo. I can hand load them for about 92 cents each using previously shot brass.

edit: I meant to say point 6 grains variation. I just measured 25 and they varied from 140.4 to 139.8.

Reply #9
Thanks michael.. kinda suprised the weight difference varies that much..
Grant

Reply #10
Thanks michael.. kinda suprised the weight difference varies that much..
i have never weight sorted. How much am i leaving on the 100 yard table?
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #11
I have bought blems from Midway and even picked up a bunch of unknown 120g copper monolithic in 6.5 to load and have used them to hunt and have 5 nice bucks with them. just give them the once over before loading and you should be happy. This shortage crap needs to come to a halt!
Chris
Yup! That is a 6.5 in my saddle scabbard

Reply #12
Sorry I meant point .6 grains from the lightest to the heaviest, so about point .3 grains on either side of 140.

Reply #13
I have accurately used a lot of blemished bullets from Midway. Virtually all of them were made by Hornady and only had cosmetic blemishes, such as extra dark ELD bullet tips or darker jackets. Nothing about them was deformed or the wrong size. Now and then Nosler has blemished bullets on their sale site and the same odd color things apply them as well. It’s never been a problem with their accuracy either.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.
Every man has got to know his limits.

Reply #14
Pleasantly surprised with the blemished bullets i got from midway.. appearance wise i cant see a thing wrong with them.. i sorted a little over a 100 of them from base to ogive.. about 60% were zero.. 40% being between .001 and .002 long and 3 being .002 short.. i think the blemished part may come in the oal of them.. had up to .007 variance in oal.. havnt weighed any of them and probably wont.. not sure theirs any need to even sort the rest of them.. as they will just be used to bang steel.. think it was a good buy.. especially with bullets being hard to come by.. happy camper..
Grant