News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Main Menu

Been Having Some Fun With The Squirrels (Video)

Started by 6.5 Hunter, January 15, 2021, 07:28:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6.5 Hunter

Since Deer Season went out,  I've been thinning out,  those Squirrels,  that have been toting my Deer Corn off,  for the last 2 months.  (31 Cobs,  New years day alone)  In the video,  it's 50 yds,  to that dead log,  just on the other side of the little branch.  So,  most shots,  are 50 to 60 yds. Killed a total of 33,  in 6 hunts,  from the same spot. 
The Rifle,  is a CZ 452 American,  .22
These 2 hunts,  I had a Nikon EFR Target,  3 x 9 x 40,  on top.  Upgraded,  last weekend,  to a Burris,  6 -24 x50 Fine Plex,  for these old Eyes

Thought you guys,  might enjoy,  a little amateur entertainment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbkRzbZ-i04

Mark

sportacus

Watching that was a hoot!  Good in the pot and great practice.  Aim small, miss small.  You had that pileated woodpecker worked up during Hunt#2.  LOL.
If you have the shot, take it.

6.5 Hunter

Quote from: sportacus on January 16, 2021, 06:40:46 AMWatching that was a hoot!  Good in the pot and great practice.  Aim small, miss small.  You had that pileated woodpecker worked up during Hunt#2.  LOL.

Here's the 1st hunt.  I've removed,  that little limb,  in front of that hollow,.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qbPxL6cVk0
Mark

bob_atl

... rule #9 ...

sportacus

Great video.  What ammo in your CZ?  Sounded pretty hot.  Good recovery on that nanny.  We have the same issues with the thick stuff.  Nearly always find them but what a PITA.

6.5 Hunter

Quote from: sportacus on January 16, 2021, 12:54:33 PMGreat video.  What ammo in your CZ?  Sounded pretty hot.  Good recovery on that nanny.  We have the same issues with the thick stuff.  Nearly always find them but what a PITA.

36 gr CCI Mini Mag Hollow Points.
Mark

Tar12

Very nice! I have 11 different CZ452s including a couple Mach2...cranium cracking machines! Glad to see the MiniMags working well for you..I recently picked up  a 5K case of them for a price I couldnt refuse..and I have 3 grandsons that can go through some ammo! lol Thanks for the videos!
Rick

sportacus

Quote from: 6.5 Hunter on January 16, 2021, 01:02:36 PM36 gr CCI Mini Mag Hollow Points.
Thanks.  I have "some" of those.  Both my CZ's like Federal auto match and CCI standard velocity.  Break: Just checked.   Most of my Mini Mag stash is solid points.  I try to head shoot, but under duress, will send one through the ribs behind the shoulder.  After my brother's SIL makes a couple of gumbos, give what we kill after that away.  Have two elderly church lady friends I supply because their husbands can no longer hunt.  They are very appreciative.  Ate so many as a subsistence hunting child, enjoy them in small doses.  Like peanut butter.  Won't touch it. 

6.5 Hunter

Quote from: sportacus on January 16, 2021, 05:21:01 PMThanks.  I have "some" of those.  Both my CZ's like Federal auto match and CCI standard velocity.  Break: Just checked.   Most of my Mini Mag stash is solid points.  I try to head shoot, but under duress, will send one through the ribs behind the shoulder.  After my brother's SIL makes a couple of gumbos, give what we kill after that away.  Have two elderly church lady friends I supply because their husbands can no longer hunt.  They are very appreciative.  Ate so many as a subsistence hunting child, enjoy them in small doses.  Like peanut butter.  Won't touch it. 
I gave a friend,  12,  last Sunday.  He made some Dumplings.  I just made a Crockpot full,  of Tomato based,   Brunswick Stew.  That stuff was delicious! 
Mark

gman47564

i havnt hunted squirrels in several years... but when i was a young man i was pretty hard on them..  fried squirrel and squirrel gravy along with some fried taters where hard to beat growing up as a kid... dont know how she did it but my mom could fry them up in a cast iron skillet and they would be tender as could be... i never could do that... main reason i dont hunt them any more... lol may have to try my hand at that again one of these days as squirrels are abundant around here... pretty sure i could get the limit in my front yard... would probably have to sleep in the man cave a few days if i did though... lol
Grant

sportacus

Grant,
Subsistence hunter since I was was 10 years old.  Read Phil Robertson's Happy! Happy! Happy!  That be my brother and I until we hit 16 and were legal to work.  Both had been "off the books" for years. Our priorities:  Hunting, sports, church, school, girls.  At about 16, radical shift. Hunting, sports, girls, school, church. Still pretty handy at gumbo and dumplings.  Like most wild game, sort them out.  The youngsters are best breaded and fried, but the seniors need attention.  Par boil or some time in a pressure cooker. My all time favorite is pan fried yearling squirrel, soaked in buttermilk, rolled in flour, salt and pepper.  Remove, add flour and water to the pan  drippings for a gravy and serve over rice with biscuit or cornbread.  Guarontee you will fight to hold back the tears.
Wayne

MJeff23

Quote from: gman47564 on January 16, 2021, 09:24:29 PM... would probably have to sleep in the man cave a few days if i did though... lol

My wife was that way until the tree rats started tearing up her bird feeders....then I got a very quick "kill 'em". 
Jeff
First impressions are forever.....you don't get a second chance

sportacus

Quote from: MJeff23 on January 18, 2021, 05:58:03 PMMy wife was that way until the tree rats started tearing up her bird feeders....then I got a very quick "kill 'em". 
Yep. And when the little monsters have shredded the screens on the porches, the Missus will happily trail behind you clubbing the cripples.

DHuffman

Quote from: sportacus on January 18, 2021, 06:11:31 PMYep. And when the little monsters have shredded the screens on the porches, the Missus will happily trail behind you clubbing the cripples.

???? LMFAO????
Dave

6.5 Hunter

And....They don't go to waste,  around here ;D  ;D

Brunswick Stew

Mark