Skip to main content
Topic: Two Shooter's Still Around (Read 426 times) previous topic - next topic

Two Shooter's Still Around

Just checked a couple of trail cams.  Encouraged.  Front had passed and brutally cold.  Cold is a relative term to a lot of you guys.  For a deep South river rat with 10W thick blood, 16 degrees F is cold!!!  At 3:58 PM yesterday, several does, fawns and a couple of baby bucks came out and stayed till dark..  At 6:15 this morning, two 8 points sparring 75 yards from the tower blind I sat Tuesday afternoon.  One of them is wall worthy.  Will let it rest tomorrow and hit it hard Saturday.  A Little Buddy heater will be my best friend.
If you have the shot, take it.

Re: Two Shooter's Still Around

Reply #1
We are getting a little warmer weather now over here in Colorado. Hopefully it will move your way by Saturday. Good luck to ya!!

Reply #2
Good luck Wayne, hope you get the big one!
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #3
Good luck Wayne, hope you get the big one!
    Thank you Randy.  16 degrees at present.  27 is the high today.  Barometric pressure rising.  They should move the next couple of days.

Reply #4
Never saw any of my target bucks during legal hours.  But it was a hoot chasing them around.  Saw lots of does/fawns and young bucks.  The afternoon of 26 December was the highlight.  Climbed in the blind at 2:30 PM.  By 2:35 deer were rolling in.  Had targets in front of me until dark.  Will guess 9 or 10 came and went. Best deer was the young 7 I saw multiple time while I was here.   Pretend killed him at least twenty times.  If he lives, he will be special. The best part of my TN experience:  Have recent trail cam pics of at least 4 trophy bucks.  Inspiration for next season.  Head back to LA tomorrow.  Will hunt a few times there, do more post hurricane stuff  and get ready for potato planting and prep the site for my summer garden. 

Reply #5
Sounds like you harvested a lot of enjoyment with that hunt!  Good memories to carry you to next year.

Reply #6
Wayne is there still season left in LA?   Already suffering from post deer season syndrome here.
Been researching WY elk opportunity for next fall.  My 10 preference points are burning a hole in my pocket and i feel a wee bit old for packing one out by myself, so i figured i better go if i can swing it.  Might be my last chance, only our maker knows how it will go.
In the meantime, if you are still hunting, go gettum and best of luck.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #7
Randy,
Couple of weeks left in LA.  Tough now because rut is long gone and the pressure from legal hunters and poachers has been intense.  The good news:  LA Wildlife and fisheries has busted quite a few night hunters.  One lives half a mile from me.  State and federal charges.  No bail.   Yessss!
Will hunt behind the house and on the lease.  Jim and Kodi tagged out and have told me to hunt their stands.  Still a few mature bucks there.  Will spend a lot more time in TN next year.  Told my wife I was happy because I suspect the four 3 1/2 year old studs have spread their DNA to a lot of the does.  Should have quality deer for years.

Reply #8
Season's gone here, in N.C.  Had my worst year,  in probably 30 years,  killing 1 deer.  Now,  I'm sitting in my Ladder Stand,  sniping Squirrels.  Killed 31,  in 5 days.  Aggravating little Devils to clean,  but they make some good Brunswick Stew.  I agree with you,  on the cold for sure.  Good Luck on that Wall Hanger.

Mark

Reply #9
Mark,
Only a couple of days left here.  Our season is waaay too long.  Most of us have lost interest.  We started transitioning last week from corn to protein pellets in the feeders.  They will do just fine on browse, just want to give them a little help in JAN-FEB.  Greenup starts here in March so we will stop supplemental feeding then.  We keep minerals out year round.  A lot of good inventory still around in LA and TN.  Next year should be awesome.
Have a flock of turkeys that are always around.  The two hurricanes destroyed all the mast and a lot of the mast producing trees in central LA.  Deer will make it fine.  Worried about turkeys and squirrels.  Literally, there is nothing in the woods for them .  Squirrels are pounding my turnip patch.  Good with it.  Everyone has gotten all they want.  Will take down a section of electric fence around the garden and let the deer go at the kale and mustard greens. 
Only took two but was till had a great year.  Mainly because of all the deer I saw throughout the season.  Spent lots of time just "studying" my place in TN.  Will spend more time in the heavy timber in 2021.
Wayne

Reply #10
When I hear someone talk about the needs of specific wildlife, I know I’m listening to a true sporting hunter rather than a weekend predator. 👍

Reply #11
Mark,
Only a couple of days left here.  Our season is waaay too long.  Most of us have lost interest.  We started transitioning last week from corn to protein pellets in the feeders.  They will do just fine on browse, just want to give them a little help in JAN-FEB.  Greenup starts here in March so we will stop supplemental feeding then.  We keep minerals out year round.  A lot of good inventory still around in LA and TN.  Next year should be awesome.
Have a flock of turkeys that are always around.  The two hurricanes destroyed all the mast and a lot of the mast producing trees in central LA.  Deer will make it fine.  Worried about turkeys and squirrels.  Literally, there is nothing in the woods for them .  Squirrels are pounding my turnip patch.  Good with it.  Everyone has gotten all they want.  Will take down a section of electric fence around the garden and let the deer go at the kale and mustard greens. 
Only took two but was till had a great year.  Mainly because of all the deer I saw throughout the season.  Spent lots of time just "studying" my place in TN.  Will spend more time in the heavy timber in 2021.
Wayne
Yeah,  I looked at the date of your post,  after I commented  LOL
I know you guys,  have had a rough time,  down there,  Wayne.  We've been through quite a few storms,  here in N.C. I'm definitely,  familiar,  with the damage,  they cause.   Our season,  is more or less,  non stop.  Archery,  from 1st week in Sept,  til last week in Oct.  Muzzleloader,  after that,  for 2 weeks,  then Gun,  til Jan 1. (This is in my part of the State)
Sounds like,  you're doing what needs to be done,  to get the results,  you want.
Mark

Reply #12
Nice 5x5 muley cruised through the yard at home in SD about a half hour ago. Still an hour to daylight but I caught him in the yard light.

Possibly the nicest deer I've seen here in over a year.

My home is off the city limits. I actually have a lot on the line inside the line then another 2 acres on the line outside the line. My 2 acres connects to about 90 acres my family owns.

Always a band of mule deer lurking around here if you know where to look.
Dave

Reply #13
Today last day of primitive.  Bucks are shedding antlers.  Saw fresh hog sign yesterday 100 yards from the back door.  Corned them up.  At 7:00 last night, shined a red lens predator light down range.  3 or 4 medium hogs.  They bolted instantly.  Hour later, switched to green lens.  They had returned but blasted out as soon as I hit them with the light.  Frustrating.  Not their first rodeo.  Pigs have learned that artificial light of any color shortly followed by thunder, lightning, hot copper and lead.  I love a challenge.

Reply #14
Today last day of primitive.  Bucks are shedding antlers.  Saw fresh hog sign yesterday 100 yards from the back door.  Corned them up.  At 7:00 last night, shined a red lens predator light down range.  3 or 4 medium hogs.  They bolted instantly.  Hour later, switched to green lens.  They had returned but blasted out as soon as I hit them with the light.  Frustrating.  Not their first rodeo.  Pigs have learned that artificial light of any color shortly followed by thunder, lightning, hot copper and lead.  I love a challenge.

Sounds like a pretty good argument to set up a stick with night vision of some sort. Just trying to help LOL
Dave