Skip to main content
Topic: Not The Ultimate Redneck Deer Hunt, But Pretty Close (Read 371 times) previous topic - next topic

Not The Ultimate Redneck Deer Hunt, But Pretty Close

Live on forty acres in central LA.  Surrounded by the massive Kisatchie National Forest. Lots of deer.  Some quality.  Had set up a small pop up blind by my shooting bench about a month ago.  Sat it a few times and saw does, fawns and young bucks.  Nothing worthy.
Changed my strategy a couple of weeks ago.  I shoot squirrels out to 80 yards sitting on the dining room floor.  Deer cross at 100 yards.  Clear shot.  Start watching late every afternoon and before daylight in the mornings.  Seeing deer but no shooters.  Check the camera every day.  Have two 8's, one quality and an old buck on his way down.  Has some kind of junk on his head and his left leg is always carried up. A  funky wracked 2.5 year old six also on the hit list.

The set up.  X Bolt loaded with 140 Berger Elite Hunter zeroed at 100. BOG Death Grip tripod oriented out the back door.
Doing a bino scan this morning, saw two deer standing in the lane.  House blacked out.  Was alreaby 5 minutes  past legal shooting hours.  Eased the door open and got on the gun.  Was the funky six.  When he was broadside, sent one.  Thought he bolted right.
Waited 30 minutes and started the search.  Jim came to help.  Plenty of blood and a fragment of lung in the lane but we would lose the trail as soon stepped into the thick stuff. Started the grid search.  Covered that 15 acres on the north side completely.  No joy.

Jim left and I started over.  Lots of timber down from the two hurricanes so I was sure he was in one of those tops.  No luck.

Y'all know that sick feeling when you have hurt one bad and starting to lose hope you will recover.  On a hunch, went back to the impact spot and turned south.  Blood everywhere and he was piled up in a sweet gum top 40 yards off the lane. Entry behind left shoulder, vaporized heart and destroyed right shoulder.  The other deer, unharmed, was the one that bolted right and started me on the wild goose chase.

Pics taken, meat on ice and have my kill confirmation from LA Wildlife and Fisheries in my hand.  A productive day. Will let it rest for a few days.  We did a lot of stomping around.  Rut still on.  Discovered several active scrapes.  We used to really work this place but the hurricane destruction changed the landscape completely. Has turned it into a whitetail bedding paradise. Will get a dozer in here this summer to clear the perimeter and all the interior trails we kept maintained and start food plotting it again.

Will keep hunting other places but cold, rainy days I will be perched in the dining room with the coffee pot a arms length.

If you have the shot, take it.

Re: Not The Ultimate Redneck Deer Hunt, But Pretty Close

Reply #1
Just got severely tempted but would never do it.   Was setting up for the next engagement.  Had the door open.  The Joe Collier Custom in the rest.  Loaded with 142 ABLR. I need to kill something with this rifle,  preferably a deer or feral hog. Up walks 2 longbeards and three turkey hens into my sight picture.  Pretend blew the heads off both longbeards. Safety was on and never let the booger hook get anywhere near the bang switch.  Yelled at them and they just looked at me.  Had to walk out the back door waving my cap to get them to fly off.
This never happens to me during spring turkey season.

Reply #2
😂

Sounds like a fun experience!

Reply #3
😂

Sounds like a fun experience!
  Yes sir it was a hoot.  I am sitting on a whitetail gold mine, thanks to Laura and Delta.  Lost some timber value but Mother Nature and God are in charge.  Have always been pretty handy at making chicken salad out of barnyard droppings.

Reply #4
Another after thought from today.  My crew has been on a whitetail, pronghorn and feral hog tear with some flavor of a Berger hunting pill since 2014.  After Jim and I came up dry this morning, I was pi**ed.  He and his son Kodi are 143 ELD-X titans whether from a CM or PRC.  Told him I would be coming over to his range to zero the X Bolt with Hornady Precision Hunter.  Gave me a smug smile.  .Was not the bullet.  It did it's job.  Was bad guidance about which direction the victim ran from one doddery old poot to another doddery old poot.  That X Bolt shoots the 140 Elite Hunters into such tidy little clovers, gonna hang with the girl that brung me to the dance.

Reply #5
The turkey story reminds me of my Grandson & i in Wyoming three years ago.  Chase had missed a mulie buck when he was with me the day before.  We were sitting on a high ridge glassing when he spotted 4 cow elk at about 500 yards.  After watching them for a while i asked him if he wanted to dryfire at them for practice.  He gave me the funniest look.  I unloade the chamber and had him squeeze one off while looking through the scope.  He said i missed,  i lifted the bolt on the savage, closed it and told him; "try again".  He said; "gutshot". After a few more trys he was on his game. "Got it" he said time after time.
He killed a nice 2x2 mulie later that afternoon on a steep a** slope at 175 yards with a purposeful neck shot to anchor it on the mountain side.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #6
The turkey story reminds me of my Grandson & i in Wyoming three years ago.  Chase had missed a mulie buck when he was with me the day before.  We were sitting on a high ridge glassing when he spotted 4 cow elk at about 500 yards.  After watching them for a while i asked him if he wanted to dryfire at them for practice.  He gave me the funniest look.  I unloade the chamber and had him squeeze one off while looking through the scope.  He said i missed,  i lifted the bolt on the savage, closed it and told him; "try again".  He said; "gutshot". After a few more trys he was on his game. "Got it" he said time after time.
He killed a nice 2x2 mulie later that afternoon on a steep a** slope at 175 yards with a purposeful neck shot to anchor it on the mountain side.
Yes sir.  Dry fire practice on live critters and live fire on some of the great life size photo targets adds reality to the game.  The Caldwell life size 10 point whitetail target is my favorite training aid.  If you place it with some cover and shadow, have to convince yourself that is not a Booner 10 staring back at you. Have produced some lady and youngster deer killing machines. Once they have the basics, hold, breathe, trigger and shoot tight groups off the bench at standard targets. The Caldwell 10 is the final exam Off the bench, off sticks and off hand.  Eye opener that Bambi really does have a hefty kill zone. Great tune up target for the old hands

Reply #7
I buy at least five or six when Uncle Larry runs them at a sale price.

Reply #8
Appreciative to the U.S. Army for this adjustment.   Anytime I am behind a deer rifle on a hunt, I am not slouching.  Pretend shooting the heads off cardinals, shooting squirrels in the eye, does in the ear, decapitating crows, and making acorn and hickory nut dust.  My chit is not sitting in a corner or laying across my lap.  Up and down range.  Steady, steady, no prompt to send it, but muscle memory and instinct kick in.  Solid as a rock this morning when the trigger broke, but shaking hard for ten minutes after the deed.  Getting long in the tooth and pray I am able to hunt till I get called forward.

Reply #9
Sounds like fun! Way to stick with the tracking.  And,  meat in the cooler=good vittles!
Congrats
Mark