Skip to main content
Topic: Beginner's Binoculars (Read 110 times) previous topic - next topic

Beginner's Binoculars

Hi all,

First post on here so no hate if I don't use the right lingo wink.gif
I love everything space related and wanted to get into stargazing. After a lot of research it seems binoculars might be better for beginners. Cost wise, practical wise and also ease of use. I do prefer detail over wide field of views but I worry I wouldn't get the most out of a telescope. What I want from stargazing is to not only learn the overall basics, but also look at individual constellations, stars, maybe faint nebulas and planets. Although I'd love to see detail I know very powerful and very expensive telescopes are required for that. I don't really want to be broke and so I'm more than happy to just make out Jupiter's moons for example or the faint rings of Saturn. Just to see a bright star in slightly more detail than with the naked eye is fine with me.

I live in London (eek, light pollution, eek) but I will be moving to Sussex soon for uni which has lovely dark areas in the South Downs I've read.

It seems 7x50 and 10x50 are both popular, stable choices for binoculars. I'm young with steady hands so I don't think the 10x50 would be too heavy but I don't mind buying a cheap tripod online if need be.

So I was just wondering what all you lovely people's opinions were and your personal experience when you were a beginner. Thanks for any advice!

Robert Stevens
Ranger Expert

Re: Beginner's Binoculars

Reply #1
Welcome Robert,
There is a lot of knowledge about optics on this forum.  We need to "spark" your interest in shooting and hunting in addition to your star gazing.
As a grade schooler (60 years ago) my friend and i used a "clunky" pair of 7x50s and were able to see the moons of Jupiter & rings of Saturn.  Those binoculars would not fair well with the way i use them today in hunting situations.
My advice is to buy the best optics you can afford to reduce fatigue on your eyes.  You will see things you don't nprmally see if the "city lights" are out of the picture with 8 or 10 power. 
There may be a few star gazers amongst this group that can tell you more.  There is a host of experience with these members.
Think about joining the shooting sports too if you already arent a shooter.  It is always a good thing for us to expand our interests rather than become too narrow minded.
Enjoy the beauty of God's vast  heavenly sky and good luck finding your optic.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Re: Beginner's Binoculars

Reply #2
You can mount binoculars to a tripod as well, I would get one with a smooth ball head on it for tracking, things move super quick up there. I have looked at supermoons and such many times, and at that comet with that tail last summer, through my Pentax DCF 8x42's. They are fantastic for the price. I would use more zoom for stargazing than 8 however.