Skip to main content
Topic: Finally On The Board (Read 403 times) previous topic - next topic

Finally On The Board

2020 deer season has been lean for me so far.  Killed a 160 lb. cull five point yesterday.  I was hungry.  Shot him off hand at 50 yards.  He ran another 75 yards into a hardwood hollow. Heart shot and blood trail was heavy.  The 140 Berger Elite Hunter ate him up. The high heavy 8 that wore me out during TN muzzleloader is still here.  Getting daylight, morning and evening trail cam pics of him in a couple of locations. Chances are good we will meet sometime Friday or Saturday.  My other hit lister is a 3.5 year old cow horn spike.  He will score high on the Spoon and Crockpot list. Neighbors have figured out I have chicory and clover food plots so they are hunting right off my property line.  Have watched and listened to this crew from afar.  Ride their ATV/UTV's right up to their stands.  I can hear them talking 150 yards away.  Makes me chuckle.  The are no threat to the deer on my place.  I am old and crippled but still take the half mile hike in the dark to my spot.  Have spooked a few this week as I walked in, but none blew and things settled down pretty quick.  Love my Creedmoors but will carry a bigger stick when I return to TN for Christmas and more hunting Will be a 6.5 PRC or a magnum of some flavor.  With property lines being the favorite stand sites of the hunters around me, I want my victims to be DRT without even a wiggle.  Will change all my set ups significantly for next season.  Will pull everything more to the interior, at least 400-500 yards away from the property boundaries.  Will spend some time tomorrow putting up ladder stands on my side of the line directly across from their stand locations.  Will probably never sit them but trying to make a point.  Think they will get it?   Naaah, not here.   :))
If you have the shot, take it.

Re: Finally On The Board

Reply #1
Congrats Wayne!  Watch out for those pesky neighbors!

Reply #2
Congrats on the table fare Wayne.... Maybe venison back strap for breakfast tomorrow ?

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #3
Nice work Sport...

Tough hunting up here as well. I've hunted from daylight to dark 5 days now and have yet to see a decent buck.

Shot a little 8 point Monday late afternoon just to get one on the ground. He's small but the biggest buck I've seen in 5 days. I was sitting on high ledge watching a V where two draws come together where we've killed several deer in the past. He followed three does into water and I hammered him at 350 yards with the 6.5x47 Lapua Improved and a 130 ELD M

The general consensus is the rut is over but I've seen some of the little guys chasing does so I'm not sure. Regardless I think I'm done hunting for the season, have some things I'd like to get done before I head back north on sunday.
Dave

Reply #4
Hope your boys connect as well.

Reply #5
Nice work Sport...

Tough hunting up here as well. I've hunted from daylight to dark 5 days now and have yet to see a decent buck.

Shot a little 8 point Monday late afternoon just to get one on the ground. He's small but the biggest buck I've seen in 5 days. I was sitting on high ledge watching a V where two draws come together where we've killed several deer in the past. He followed three does into water and I hammered him at 350 yards with the 6.5x47 Lapua Improved and a 130 ELD M

The general consensus is the rut is over but I've seen some of the little guys chasing does so I'm not sure. Regardless I think I'm done hunting for the season, have some things I'd like to get done before I head back north on sunday.
Congrats to you also Dave!  Curious to how the eldm performed?
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #6
Nice shot dave.. 350 yards out in the field is a pretty good shot.. way to go..
Grant

Reply #7
Congrats to you also Dave!  Curious to how the eldm performed?

I was going to save that for later but......

Shot at ranged honest 350 yards, I was using my pack as a rest and shooting with a loose hold and lost sight from the recoil but heard the whack of the bullet clearly. When I got back on him he was down on his side and only his tail was moving. We were in rough country and i was on a ledge where I'd have to take my eyes off him for a minute to get down so I decided to watch him for a few minutes before I tried to get down to him.

A few minutes later he starts moving and staggers to his feet and stands all splayed legged facing directly away from me leaving nothing to shoot but his ass. So he stands there head down for a couple minutes then gets his legs straight under him and takes two steps turning back towards me and I shot again catching him in front of the diaphragm but the angle took it through the top of gut back into the right ham. DRT, The wound channel was massive and a lot of The right hind quarter is destroyed.

I haven't skinned him yet and it wasn't obvious where that first shot hit him but it obviously wasn't lethal. I held on the shoulder reasoning the M bullet should have a thicker jacket and the shoulder should help it expand. I held behind the crease on the second shot and that extra step he took put it a little farther back  and at more of an angle than I wanted but I needed to take the shot and put him down before he wandered out of sight.

I'll know more about the first shot when I get him skinned tomorrow or Friday. Until then I would have to say they perform great behind the crease.
Dave

Reply #8
The "shiny" spot to the right and up is the seep he was drinking from the top end of it and had turned to go back up the draw when I took the first shot.
I'm about 40' up on a ledge here.

Dave

Reply #9
Hate it when you knock them down and they get back up. Just leaves you with a sick feeling waiting for that second shot to finish the job.

Reply #10
The "shiny" spot to the right and up is the seep he was drinking from the top end of it and had turned to go back up the draw when I took the first shot.
I'm about 40' up on a ledge here.

Looks like a great perch to set up your ambush.

Reply #11
Looks like a great perch to set up your ambush.

I've passed a lot of afternoons into evenings sitting there. A couple hundred yards up past that seep two of my kids have killed deer there. My oldest son shot an old warrior of a whitetail there 2 or 3 years ago. I passed that deer 3 days earlier to give him a shot at him. The old buck was a 10 pointer but had a broken G2 & G4 on his left beam. Made my son the Marine like him that much more.

Whitetail don't really live there but visit occasionally. The mule deer there are nothing special from a antler standpoint. Either thin & spindley or just flat ugly racks but i can't let a hunting season pass without spending a day down there. 
Dave

Reply #12
No better way to spend the day and collect some meat.

Reply #13
Congrats Dave.  We all love to shoot long, but not happening up here.  That's OK because I love these heavy hardwoods.  Rut still going in middle TN.  New rubs since I was here for muzzleloader second week of November and most scrapes still active.  The quality deer are showing on camera around 9-10 in the morning and 3-4 in the afternoon.  Sure it is in response to hunter activity.  I just have to discipline myself to hang in the blind until 10-10:30 tomorrow and the 8 might have a date with the skinning pole.   Thanks to all for  your comments.
If you have the shot, take it.

Reply #14
Good luck Wayne and my apologies for taking over your thread here.

2017 my memory was off a little, shows him a 9 point with a broken G2.

A picture of the young warrior with the conquered old warrior.

Today I'm thankful to my son the Marine for his service and all other veterans who've served and the sacrifices made by their families. I'm afraid we're all soon to be tested as to what we are willing to do for our freedoms and rights.

I'll say no more on it here and won't go any further than that on this forum but that's where my head is lately.

God bless America

Dave