Skip to main content
Topic: Next stop....Wisconsin (Read 214 times) previous topic - next topic

Next stop....Wisconsin

After 10 days searching for Mr. BIG in Minnesota and seeing does & fawns in every immaginable weather i filled my tag this morning with a nice fat spiker.
We started out with 68°F last week, high winds, 8" of snow, 9°F and wind, more snow, more wind and finally this morning no wind, 7°F when i left the truck in the dark, got colder as the sun came up.   I sat on a log i picked out a few days ago in a small clearcut, when this little buck came strolling in downind and not paying any attention to me i made up my mind to put him in the freezer.  He almost walked on top of me (20 yards) and i put the bonded Gold Dot through his boiler room.  He ran a few yards & tipped over.
Couldnt wait to get my hands in his guts to warm them up.  Fairly easy drag in the snow as my sled is in WI at my sons.  Had him home and skun before 9:00.
Dad always said "you dont shoot you dont eat!".

Off to Wisconsin on thursday or friday to kick off the traditional 9 day Thanksgiving week hunt on Saturday.  My Wisconsin harvest (if i get lucky) always goes to a legally blind friend who lives in the town near my sons. 
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Re: Next stop....Wisconsin

Reply #1
Always good to hear of people caring about others. Coming up on 72, and just don't hear of things like you're doing like you did at one time.
Peace was my Profession

Reply #2
Congrats on the spike Randy. Hope your Thanksgiving week hunt is a great success. My hat is off to you for your generosity to and care of those less fortunate. That’s what the season is all about.

Reply #3
My friend Jim killed a true "cowhorn" spike this morning.  16" bladed main on the right side and 13" on the left.  Weighed 208 pounds live.  So it was a mature deer.  That is huge by central Louisiana standards. No doubt he has bred a lot of does over the years so his funky DNA is still out there. 
If you have the shot, take it.

Reply #4
Well the Wisconsin season is underway.  Bittersweet as Covid has my daughter-in-law in the hospital.
Jenna is on all of our minds as we speak & hunt & pray.  Two of my sons also have or had it and social distance is in place.  Luckily the three grandkids in the same household tested negative but we are still quarantined from each other.

Yesterday my son John opened us up with this fine 8 pointer.  This morning i filled my promise for my friend with the sight problems.  With one antler broke clean off at the skull plate the 3 point other side fills my quest for the year of the smallest bucks!
Non the less the meat will taste good.  My friend Todd was delighted to hear it was coming to his freezer.

Dragging it out across a clearcut was a bummer, without the help of grandkids & sons it certainly became a chore for this old far*!   Getting it in the camper (part way) was a little easier, as i put in an eyebolt inside to hook the come-a-long to.  Cleaning blood out inside was taken care of by cardboard on the floor.

Hoping my grandsons, granddaughter, and other son Jim get a chance at something this afternoon or tomorrow morning so i can hear their storys before i leave for home tomorrow.  Tonight will be night 18 in the camper this fall.

Any extra prayers are welcome for Jenna. Good luck to all you guys still hunting.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #5
Randy your family has had a tough go this year. Praying for strength and good doctor care for Jenna.

Reply #6
Seems like the man upstairs watches out for those who care for others and buddy you sure qualify.

Reply #7
Wishing your daughter inlaw a speedy recovery randy.. congratulations on a successful hunt as well
Grant

Reply #8
Prayers for a fast and complete recovery.