Skip to main content
Topic: second vs first focal plane (Read 215 times) previous topic - next topic

second vs first focal plane

Which do you prefer, a second or first focal plane reticle. I use it for target shooting mainly.
Jim Harris
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid". Sgt Stryker

Re: second vs first focal plane

Reply #1
For target shooting, definitely second.

Reply #2
My next scope will be second FP with no illumination and the simplest cross hair I can get. 

I only target shoot, hunters would probably have a different perspective.

Roaneman

Reply #3
I recently got my first, first focal plane scope. Still getting used to it, but seems good. I have liked being able to measure my miss hits on steel at distances that I can see the impact marks, at any zoom. I have a 4.5-27, but like the 18-20 power level the best so far. I also like that it has .2 mil horizontal marks for hold overs. I think reticle thickness could be an issue with FFP scopes, could be to thick at higher zoom and too thin at lower zoom.

Reply #4
I think reticle thickness could be an issue with FFP scopes, could be to thick at higher zoom and too thin at lower zoom.

It could be if not properly designed but even if it is it will still be covering the same amount of the target no matter the power. The way FFP works. Some complain about getting a 4.5-27x scope and not being able to use the reticle for holds on 4.5x. Well if you will be using the scope mostly on 4.5x then you bought the wrong scope. I don;t know of any FFP scope which will allow the reticle to be used for holds at it's lowest power. Just a nature of the beast but for it's small con there are many other pros as mentioned above. I have one SFP scope now and it's only because of the game it was designed to shoot. Every other scope is FFP and I wouldn't have it any other way.

OP "target shooting" is a pretty generic term. What will you be doing exactly?

Reply #5
I was not referring to the hold overs being visible at low power, although with my Athlon FFP it would be hard to use any hold overs before 10x probably. Hopefully get more time with it this week or weekend.

Reply #6
Jim, I have mostly SFP scopes....but that is because I'm mainly sitting at a bench shooting a target at a known distance (usually 600 or 1000 yards).  For me, at that distance, magnification can be your friend (depending on the mirage) and SFP scopes will offer higher max magnification.  I do have a couple FFP scopes that I use when I get brave to shoot steel matches under a time constraint and you need to have a reticle that you can use for proper holds versus turning knobs.  So the answer will depend on the type of shooting you plan on doing.  In either case, invest in a good scope....the extra cost will be small compared to extra enjoyment you will get from using a quality scope.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough