Skip to main content
Topic: Caribou down (Read 560 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Caribou down

Reply #15
 Now I'm back to the house. .
 Quitting time tonight.
If your going to be a Bush Alaskan You need a perfect winter rifle. The Ruger M77 Hawkeye SS in 6.5 Creedmoor is mine.<br>You are being watched.

Reply #16
House is looking great.
It's pretty good having someone a butcher on hand. I used to have a butcher that would cut up my kills, they would come packaged like from the super market. Then he went and bought a butchers shop and work's 12 to 14 hours a day 6 days a week so I haven't even asked if he would do one for me. But it was great while it lasted.

Reply #17
Lots of work....looking good....
You need a crew to throw the roof sheathing up and the shingle bundles.  Or are you going with a metal roof?
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #18
Lots of work....looking good....
You need a crew to throw the roof sheathing up and the shingle bundles.  Or are you going with a metal roof?

Weelllll, that's going to be kinda different.
 House wrap will go onto of the rafters. Peak to eave. Stapled tight to the blocking.
 Then 2x2s get spiked on top of each rafter.Then the roof deck. OSB for now. Then the felt. I'm going to do a layer of regular 15 lb felt/ tar paper then a layer of the new synthetic felt paper.  Plastic cap stapled tight. Then let the snow cover it for the winter. Same snow will be on there For at least 6 months . It gives a continuous 1 1/2" vent between the insulation and the roof deck. NO ICE DAMS!! And allows any moisture that gets in the insulation dry up into th vented space.
 Just going to need good squirrel screens in the soffit box.
If your going to be a Bush Alaskan You need a perfect winter rifle. The Ruger M77 Hawkeye SS in 6.5 Creedmoor is mine.<br>You are being watched.

Reply #19
In the spring I'll prolly tear off the felt and sheath over the osb with 5/8 cdx Then 15 lb felt then metal roofing.
 For right now its a choice between Insulation or roofing. Insulation wins at this time of year!

Reply #20
Sounds like a good plan to me Glen.  Wish more people would do things as they can afford them rather than borrowing.  After building 4 homes and never having a mortgage it is hard to see what some people put themselves up against.  All the borrowing does is raise prices for us that do things a little differently.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #21
Processed the bou last night. That 1 bull produced around 120 lbs of finished meat.
 Gave 1 ham hip and part of the back / full quarter, to our neighbor. They super appreciated it.
 Odd how some people turn up their nose to caribou. It's Really good if done right. And Not in the rut!

Reply #22
This bull is really good ! First bull bou I can remember that has good tasting fat. !
 Usually it's a bit strong.
 Had steaks for dinner tonight. Yum yum !

Reply #23
 Some friends at church gifted us with the $$$$ for roofing. If the weather holds I should be putting it on by Friday.
 1st pic is quitting time tonight.

Reply #24
 Notice the lack of leaves 😓😓

Reply #25
Notice the lack of leaves 😓😓

Glad to see the home coming along Glen. Our trees are coloring up pretty well right now. I crossed the Little Missouri River Monday on US Highway 85 between Grassy Butte & Watford City ND and the leaves were showing all the fall colors.
Dave

Reply #26
Congrats!!! Nice Bou!
Trying to turn into a Mountain Man one year at a time.