Skip to main content
Topic: Caribou down (Read 560 times) previous topic - next topic

Caribou down

Finally after a couple years of nuthin.
If your going to be a Bush Alaskan You need a perfect winter rifle. The Ruger M77 Hawkeye SS in 6.5 Creedmoor is mine.<br>You are being watched.

Re: Caribou down

Reply #1
 Kimber Montana in 338 Win mag. 250 gr Remington Core Lokt 1-4×24 Vortex Crossfire 2 V Brite
 35ish yards.
If your going to be a Bush Alaskan You need a perfect winter rifle. The Ruger M77 Hawkeye SS in 6.5 Creedmoor is mine.<br>You are being watched.

Reply #2
Congrats Glen!
Never had Caribou meat are they as tasty as moose?
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #3
Very nice Glen, glad to see you're having some fun!
Dave

Reply #4
How did the 338 jolt your shoulder?....i think i just flinched...
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #5
Excellent!  Standing by for the members that hunt the West to start posting kill shots.
If you have the shot, take it.

Reply #6
Congrats Glen. That will help get the freezer stocked!

Reply #7
Congrats, I've had moose but not caribou, let us know how what it tastes like..
The moose was like very lean beef - almost needed some help flavor-wise, no gamish taint.
... rule #9 ...

Reply #8
Great job! Now the work begins.
I've spent all day canning fresh venison myself.

Reply #9
Congrats Glen!
Never had Caribou meat are they as tasty as moose?
I think so. 2 bou and a moose will get ya thru the year.

Reply #10
Congrats, I've had moose but not caribou, let us know how what it tastes like..
The moose was like very lean beef - almost needed some help flavor-wise, no gamish taint.

Alot depends on how quick it was killed and how well it was taken care of. But yes it's very lean

Reply #11
How did the 338 jolt your shoulder?....i think i just flinched...

Happy thing. As I haven't been shooting at all to speak of for 2 yearsish. Not the Creed, or much of anything.
 So my recoil log switched back to my younger days when the 338s were the littlest rounds I hunted and shot. I've run over 2,000 rounds thru my current 458. And close to that many thru all my previous 458s . Not sure how many thru all the 416s I've had and hunted. But prolly similar # of rounds. Same with the 375 . and as this is my 12th 338 win mag. Used to be all I did was Fall timber, thin trees,and shoot . And the smallest cart I shot was 338 Winchester.
 When I checked the zero on the Kimber. I was amazed at how little it recoiled compared to what I remembered.
 My left shoulder/ arm is improving all the time. But still not like it used to be. But that is one place where it being around 7 lbs helps me. But I'm still out of practice. And am spoiled by the trigger on my Creed.

All in all , its great!

Reply #12
Very nice Glen, glad to see you're having some fun!

It was Fun ! I was so excited I made a little bit of a mess of gutting it. Not bad , but usually I do a nice job of it. I haven't been that excited on getting meat on the ground in Years!

Reply #13
Awesome to hear you haven't lost it.

Reply #14
 A coworker of my wife's is a butcher at the slaughter house/custom meat packing place here in Delta. Busy guy. He is going to help me cut it up tomorrow evening. Help will be GREAT especially from someone that does it for a living.