Skip to main content
Topic: Defense of lower cost rifle scopes (Centerfire) (Read 637 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Defense of lower cost rifle scopes (Centerfire)

Reply #15
Still holding a couple of "steel" Weavers from the 70's.

I have a couple as well, a K1.5-4.5 on my AR and a T-10 that will go on my SIG Cross when it finally gets here. Darned fine scopes for their age - heck, there are scopes sold today that can't touch their quality! They are just a teensy bit on the heavy side though.
Tarasdad - NRA Endowment Life - TSRA Life

Reply #16
Tarasdad,
First one was a 2.5x 7 on a Rem 760 in .243.  Bought the rig at a shop in Opelika, AL.  Was a little skeptical at first of .243.  No worry.  It crushed small Southern whitetails if you but the bullet behind the shoulder. I hunted with that rig for 16 years and passed to my nephew in 1991 when I left for Germany.  He still has it and hopefully will be the rifle my great nephew takes his first deer with. Had a fixed 2.5 I put on my brother's 336C in the early 80's.  He has moved on to  bolt guns but still does a zero check every year before deer season.  One inch dot at 100.  He fires one shot that touches the dot, the puts the rig back in the case. Lots of hunting memories made with those American  Weavers.
If you have the shot, take it.

Reply #17
My Ruger 77 in 30-06 wears a Simmons 8 Point compact 2.5X8.  It still shoots to the same point of aim after 12 + years.  My other 2 hunting rifles wear Weavers a Grand Slam and a 44.  Neither has let me down.  Now my target rifles, that's a different story.  Vortex GE, Sightron Gen III, and Vortex Viper.  If I could I would have March's but oh well.  Shooting at small targets at 600-1,000 yards will sort out quality glass from wana be's.