Skip to main content
Topic: Switching sides (Read 697 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Switching sides

Reply #15
Chris I'm just glad this isn't what I though it was when I read the title. 😂 Being PC prohibits me from elaborating. I think perseverance will get you through this.

I think the switching eyes will be the biggest challenge. Check this link out.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com
Dave,
Your first two sentences will have me chuckling all day.  When I first saw the title, jumped to the conclusion that Chris might have joined Craig Boddington on the dark side and was dropping 6.5 CM for 270 Win.
If you have the shot, take it.

Reply #16
Dave,
Your first two sentences will have me chuckling all day.  When I first saw the title, jumped to the conclusion that Chris might have joined Craig Boddington on the dark side and was dropping 6.5 CM for 270 Win.

Anyone who knows me at all knows I'm far from PC but as a Moderator I've tried to tone it down here. It's tough!!!!!
Dave

Reply #17
@bikemutt

Wondering how you are feeling and how you are progressing with the switch?

Reply #18
@bikemutt

Wondering how you are feeling and how you are progressing with the switch?

Thanks for asking @jvw2008.

The reality for me is I've been in too much chronic pain to even get to the range. I'm no stranger to chronic pain but this is like nothing I've ever experienced. With no loss of strength or dexterity I've reevaluated what the handicap means in shooting terms. The nerves in the areas where the blisters appeared, right torso front, side and back, fire off randomly causing wincing and of course, pain. In other words, I don't believe shooting left handed will be helpful since the real problem is how to hold a position without wincing and by extension, flinching. That, along with the pain of being randomly shocked, isn't exactly a recipe for a great day at the range :(

The good news is each week so far, the intensity and frequency of the electrical activity is becoming less. My hope is by the time the range reopens (judged non-essential and closed owing to covid), I'll be ready to get out there and give things a try :)
Chris

Reply #19
Nothing better than getting better!  Glad to hear you are improving Chris. You are a “poster child” for the potential benefit of the vaccine. Wish the damn thing wasn’t so expensive. As someone with a medical background I can tell you I think the current charge is a rip-off.

Reply #20
Thanks for asking @jvw2008.

The reality for me is I've been in too much chronic pain to even get to the range. I'm no stranger to chronic pain but this is like nothing I've ever experienced. With no loss of strength or dexterity I've reevaluated what the handicap means in shooting terms. The nerves in the areas where the blisters appeared, right torso front, side and back, fire off randomly causing wincing and of course, pain. In other words, I don't believe shooting left handed will be helpful since the real problem is how to hold a position without wincing and by extension, flinching. That, along with the pain of being randomly shocked, isn't exactly a recipe for a great day at the range :(

The good news is each week so far, the intensity and frequency of the electrical activity is becoming less. My hope is by the time the range reopens (judged non-essential and closed owing to covid), I'll be ready to get out there and give things a try :)

Sorry to hear it's slow getting better but happy to hear it is subsiding a little. Everything good takes way longer than we like and the bad is usually instantaneous. Applies to almost everything I'm afraid.

Good luck and keep up the fight.
Dave

Reply #21
Nothing better than getting better!  Glad to hear you are improving Chris. You are a “poster child” for the potential benefit of the vaccine. Wish the damn thing wasn’t so expensive. As someone with a medical background I can tell you I think the current charge is a rip-off.

For us the vaccine cost is a $10 copay. When I was positively diagnosed at urgent care they prescribed an antiviral and urged me to start it right away as time is of the essence. At the pharmacy I inquired as to the availability of the Shingrix vaccine, plenty of it they said. I called my wife right then, we passed each other on the road as she headed to the pharmacy and got vaccinated.

What bothers me a bit is I went on a mission over a year before this to get vaccinated after my primary care doctor highly recommended it given my age and prior history of chickenpox. The vaccine was simply nowhere to be found. The doctors office put me on the waitlist and I did get a call, after I already had shingles :(

It is what it is, the clock of life cannot be rolled back. At least it's not terminal and, next February I can get the vaccine (have to wait a year).  On the bright side I know there's very little to no chance my wife will have to endure this :)
Chris

Reply #22
My grandmother Alvina always told me when things weren't going well;  "Better days are coming!".  She left us 35 years ago,  but I've had to use her advice many times and will live by it till the end.
Hope your recovery is swift Chris. Will continue to pray for you and yours.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #23
As a new left handed shooter it’s like you’re a new shooter, so start with a 22 Long, Open sights and keep your eyes open. Start at 25 or 30 yards with a high contrast target, like a red dot on white paper. Breathing control, trigger squeeze, torso / hip position are all important to research yourself how to find the lefty version of your natural point of aim.
Progress could be fast but don’t expect perfect shots, and practice practice practice. Good luck and keep us posted.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.
Every man has got to know his limits.

Reply #24
  Sorry to hear of this Chris.
 A good friend got the shingles vaccine and it messed him up real bad. He went from relatively healthy and active to needing a walker and assistance with simple daily tasks like carrying a bag of grocerys up 1 flight of stairs.
  He was a very active recreational rifle and handgun shooter and hasn't been able to shoulder much more than his Nylon 66. And that causes great pain.
  It's been very humbling for him because he was always stronger than average and a well above average off hand rifle shot.
 He would consistently bust 4 clay birds in about 7 seconds, stood up on the 200 meter backstop off hand. No sling , no sticks, . With his 416 Rem model 700.
 Anyway . It's a tough break all the way around. But great to hear you are getting better!
  I think an auto loader like a 22 rf or AR 15 would be a good place to start.

If your going to be a Bush Alaskan You need a perfect winter rifle. The Ruger M77 Hawkeye SS in 6.5 Creedmoor is mine.<br>You are being watched.

Reply #25
Thanks for the kind words of encouragement team  :)

As soon as the range opens back up I'm going to break out one of my favorite rifles; a real nice Kimber 82 Gov't 22lr single shot. Darn thing must weigh north of 14 lbs, no recoil and lights-out at 50 yards with Eley Club ammo.
Chris