Skip to main content
Topic: Short Barrel AR  (Read 549 times) previous topic - next topic

Short Barrel AR

I have been thinking about making a AR-10 style pistol. I am wondering if I should build out a 7.62x51 (.308) or a 6.5 Creedmoor and looking for data for FPS and ft/lbs at different ranges. The barrel would be between 12 & 14 inches but would like to see the comparison with a 16 and 18".  I would like something clear and concise like the attached image for 7.62x39 and 6.5 Grendel.

Thanks for your help!

MC

https://www.65creedmoor.com/index.php?action=dlattach;sa=tmpattach;attach=post_tmp_8909_9fd75bcacc1f8fae57df3b089349212a;topic=0

Re: Short Barrel AR

Reply #1
I have started looking at a 16” barreled upper for my use.  I’m looking for a handy rifle that will be accurate out to 500-600 yards and provide superior ballistics and wind bucking over a 308.  I know Wilson Combat and Criterion make the 16” barrels, but have not seen any shorter than that.  I know that Sig made a 716 pistol a while back.  The LGS called them boomerangs since users traded them for something else quick due to the noise and concussion.  Good luck and I would be interested in hearing about your results.

Reply #2
Just incase it makes a difference.
Any barrel shorter than 16 inches in total length
is going to be illegal, unless it's a "pistol"
Unless you have the proper lic.
Just buying or making a shorter upper is also illegal.
The "short" upper has had to have been bought together.
It hasn't stopped a lot of people from doing it.
Just don't show or take it out in public.
Don't know who might tell on you.
It is legal to posses on your property only. 

Reply #3
Anyone have any results with a short-barreled 6.5 Creedmoor

Reply #4
How short a barrel ?
If your going to be a Bush Alaskan You need a perfect winter rifle. The Ruger M77 Hawkeye SS in 6.5 Creedmoor is mine.<br>You are being watched.

Reply #7
I see that Ballistic Advantage has a 6.5 creedmoor barrel that is 14.1” long with carbine gas system.  Sounds promising for a short build.

Reply #8
6.5 Creedmoor in a 9" barrel is still supersonic at 1k yards.

Reply #9
I did not think I would want it that short. I have a rifle with an 18 inch barrel, just wondering how much more handy of 16 inch barrel Creedmoor would be.

Reply #10
If everything else would quit happening I would have a couple 16" Creedmoor s .
 For an AR10 , I'm thinking to start with a lighter weight 18"  If it works well, I may go shorter.
If your going to be a Bush Alaskan You need a perfect winter rifle. The Ruger M77 Hawkeye SS in 6.5 Creedmoor is mine.<br>You are being watched.

Reply #12
So, I’m still going this route with a 14.5/16” upper in 6.5 creedmoor to have a handy rifle to use for hunting this fall.  I see barrel manufacturers for the 14.5” and ready to sell 16” barrels available.
Has anyone taken the plunge with a short 6.5 creedmoor and what were your thoughts?

Reply #13
Built a 16” barreled 6.5 creedmoor AR10.  It has a wonky length intermediate gas system that I had to work around.  Rifle will cloverleaf 4 out of five shots at 100 yards with 140 grain SMK FGMM.  It would have been 5 for 5 if the meat sack behind the rifle didn’t get too excited.  Working up loads with 120 grain ELDm and 143 grain ELDX bullets.