Skip to main content
Topic: Cabin Fever (Read 643 times) previous topic - next topic

Cabin Fever

Weather temps , well wind chill below zero can’t get out to throw some down range to verify loads developed so stuck indoors bummer.
However got some good news DNR sent notification for a Bear harvest permit Wi. drawing.
My brother-in-law came up from KY last year 2019 shot a 7 ft 400 + lb er and some dang good eatin there my friends.
Anyways don’t know what to use for firearm yet for my 7 1/2 ,450 lb er can’t let him beat me
So Rifle ,Pistol ,Crossbow or just tick him off with a sling shot he,he.pleanty of time to figure it out.
Well that’s it. All you warm climate fellas and gals have fun and shoot a couple for me

Re: Cabin Fever

Reply #1
Congrats on the bear permit Old Wolf. Those tags take a while to draw.  What part of the state do you hunt?
 My granddaughter got a WI bear last year with the .243 that I put together for her.  It was an older boar but not a 7 footer (only 175# dressed)!  Think that you have to send in a tooth and they age it and let you know?
Thinking that the tags they get aren't too often nowadays. My son has shot a couple with the stick & string, one of my grandsons shot one, the other grandson screwed up & "nicked" one a couple of years ago.  It was back last fall and really "smart" now!
Back in the day (1974) I shot one with an arrow at 15 yards.  Those days you could shoot one with your regular archery license!  First day of bow season while still hunting for deer!

Good luck on the hunt...September seems like a long ways away, doesn't it?
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #2
I guess us folks down here in the Great South Western Desert don't really have "cabin fever"....LOL...after all , we are "weather snobs...."
The only problem we have, especially shooting handguns, is numb fingers when its in the 30's like I experienced last week.
Hope you warm up soon!  ;)  :)
NRA Benefactor Life Member
USCG Veteran

Reply #3
Staying in the "cabin" today.....was -32F this morning...but has warmed up to -29 now!😲

Edit: on the local news last night they said it was an all time record for yesterday's date, actually they said -33F! Old record was -25 on feb 20, 1966.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #4
This year has been chalked up to a mild winter in the Black Swamp.  Just wrestle with a few more cold snaps and I'll be soon planting lettuce.

You could also hunt your bear with a switch just in case he comes in around 425 lbs.  Tell your brother-in-law the meat is more tender that way.  :))
See you at the range.

Reply #5
On the bright side, the 9 months of winter means only 3 months of mosquitoes here in Minnesota!!

Eric
NRA Benefactor Life Member<br>Crafty Old Fart

Reply #6
On the bright side, the 9 months of winter means only 3 months of mosquitoes here in Minnesota!!

Eric

My wife's from Minnesota, she mentioned something about the mosquito being the state bird, lol.
Chris

Reply #7
My wife's from Minnesota, she mentioned something about the mosquito being the state bird, lol.
Yes and the wood tick is our state mascot!  Usually don't see them until April as soon as the snow starts melting and always a few hanging around in November (they crawl of the deer hides once the hide cools off after they are skun!).
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #8
Rainy weather finally broke Wednesday.  Had some sun Thursday and yesterday.  Eyes were squinted like a mole because of several weeks w/o sunshine.  Will plant potatoes tomorrow after church. Have been holding off for two weeks because the sets would have rotted in the mud.  All the lakes/rivers/streams are at flood stage so spring crappie fishing may not happen this year.  We usually jump from winter right into summer March or April.  Oh the joy of mosquitos, pine pollen and chiggers that come with the warm up. 
If you have the shot, take it.

Reply #9
Not much of a winter to keep me indoors, even here in Idaho. It was 22 last night and in the 40s today while my neighbors and I worked on replacing our irrigation siphon for the upcoming growing season. I spent half the month in California where it has been in the 70s. Glad to be back in Free America with my neighbors. Spent the evening at one neighbor's home indulging in beer and whiskey after our efforts. I love my new home.
Chris
Yup! That is a 6.5 in my saddle scabbard

Reply #11
Planted four 150' rows.  Three red and one Yukon Gold.  Too much rain can be an issue down here.  Have had the sets rot in the ground because it was too wet.
If you have the shot, take it.

Reply #12
So jealous of the warmer temps, between the winter and lack of time, I can't remember the last time I shot anything.

Reply #13
Old Wolf,
 Last black bear I remember shooting, I used The Spruce King. My 458 Winchester built on a stainless Ruger M77 Mk2.  300 gr Barnes X bullet @ 2700 fps mv. It's quite the slaughter firearm. I hate looking for bears in the brush.
 1 shot stops are the norm regardless the species, size or temperament of the bear.
If your going to be a Bush Alaskan You need a perfect winter rifle. The Ruger M77 Hawkeye SS in 6.5 Creedmoor is mine.<br>You are being watched.