News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Main Menu

130’s v 140’s for hunting

Started by Brinky72, March 25, 2018, 08:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

icebug

Sprotacus, thanks for your answer.
I'm very satisfied with 190grs ABLR in .308, that's why I'd like to try it in 6.5 Creed.

Denver Steve

Quote from: icebug on July 02, 2018, 08:54:57 AMSprotacus, thanks for your answer.
I'm very satisfied with 190grs ABLR in .308, that's why I'd like to try it in 6.5 Creed.
what kind of velocity are you getting in your 308 with the 190 ablr? i was just out at the range today working on a load with them in my 30tc. i have them at 2500fps right now with unreal groups and no pressure signs. nice to know what a 308 is running them at. i might try get a extra 100fps or so if my accurracy hangs in there.

JASmith

Look to the reputation of the .270 Winchester for how well the 130 gr bullets perform.

There is good evidence to suggest the terminal performance depends more on weight and bullet construction than on caliber or velocity provided the bullet hits within the manufacturer's design window.

Go here for more: http://shootersnotes.com/ideal-bullet-weight/

icebug

Quote from: Denver Steve on July 02, 2018, 10:17:44 AMwhat kind of velocity are you getting in your 308 with the 190 ablr? i was just out at the range today working on a load with them in my 30tc. i have them at 2500fps right now with unreal groups and no pressure signs. nice to know what a 308 is running them at. i might try get a extra 100fps or so if my accurracy hangs in there.
Around 2450 and as you say, unreal groups and low velocities, but I also load them looong, COAL is 2.940"
Try to go faster than that, might work in your barrel.

Denver Steve

Quote from: icebug on July 02, 2018, 11:46:52 AMAround 2450 and as you say, unreal groups and low velocities, but I also load them looong, COAL is 2.940"
Try to go faster than that, might work in your barrel.
i have mine at 2.850 as long as i can get them for my mag length. im using 40.5 grains of varget. the 30tc is very close to the 308. no load info on stuff over 180 grain though. might load up a few more today in .3 grain increments up to 42.0 grains. going to start being compressed a bit. i can get better speed with a few other powders but i want it to be temp stable for the huge temp range i hunt in. and have you shot any game with that load yet? 2450fps is right in the sweet spot for retention and expansion in the ablr bullet.

charlie

I like to go for velocity when game shooting. I use 140's ( and now 139,s ) for targets where I want that High BC and 120 amax and sst on deer, even though I can kill a target at 600yds I am loath to do that to an animal..... might be fine on a praire but where I hunt it could take me several hrs to get to that 600 yd animal.
I am not knocking those that do it.