News:

This Forum is for use by adults 18 years old or older. By continuing to use this Forum you are confirming, under the law, the you are 18 year old or older. No content shall be viewed by any person under 18 in California.

Main Menu

NUCLEUS BOLT ACTION

Started by Wilson1911, January 21, 2018, 11:52:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilson1911

I was wondering if any of you have heard about the new NUCLEUS BOLT ACTION that ARC has just released. Specifically....Dan, since he is friends with Josh.

ATM I am loving my Bighorn TL3.....but the new ARC action has interchangable boltheads as well.

My google fu seems not to be working all that well on finding info on the barrel swap info.
I am not the biggest, nor the fastest.  I will not fall short or stray off my target. I am a surgical instrument, who lives in the X ring. I am the 6.5 Creedmoor with deadly precision.

Fuj

Bing says American rifle company. All kinds of stuff popped up
with pics for you to drool on your key board.... :D

Danbonzo

RIP Chris Cornell

Wilson1911

This is what I am interested in..

The other new feature that the NUCLEUS® Barreled Action offers is the option to use the American Rifle Company BarLoc® system.  The BarLoc® allows users to change barrels in the field without special action wrenches, vises, without removing the scope and in some cases without removing the barreled action from the rifle chassis!  The BarLoc® option adds $99 to the introductory price and $149 after the introductory pricing.

https://www.americanrifle.com/product/barloc-quick-change-barrel-device-for-nucleus-action-special-nuclear-price-of-50-only-for-nucleus-customers/

Dan, I have been looking at both sites today. Have you seen/touched any of these ?
I am not the biggest, nor the fastest.  I will not fall short or stray off my target. I am a surgical instrument, who lives in the X ring. I am the 6.5 Creedmoor with deadly precision.

Danbonzo

RIP Chris Cornell

Deadshot2

Quote from: Wilson1911 on January 21, 2018, 12:36:54 PMThis is what I am interested in..

The other new feature that the NUCLEUS® Barreled Action offers is the option to use the American Rifle Company BarLoc® system.  The BarLoc® allows users to change barrels in the field without special action wrenches, vises, without removing the scope and in some cases without removing the barreled action from the rifle chassis!  The BarLoc® option adds $99 to the introductory price and $149 after the introductory pricing.

Certainly an interesting feature but all too often accuracy is born of simplicity.   Adding a bunch of parts certainly isn't simple.

If you plan on carrying a bunch of barrels into the field than perhaps it's a great feature.   FWIW I can change barrels on my Savage and "Remage" with a firm whack on the barrel nut wrench with a cowhide or nylon faced mallet.    Using witness marks applied after torquing in the shop when tightening "in the field" is more than sufficient.

US Army 1965-1972

flyer

Ranger 188

Josh is building the John Hancock production rifle for the PRS " production division" under $2000.00.
Sounds like he's going all in.  So if your looking for a great shooter, out the door w-out scope for 2 grand, I'd try one.  Nice action will be able to swap out barrels easily.
I'm thinking it might be my way to get into the 6mm Dasher. I would like to see Prime ammo produce some 6 Dasher ammo.  He's posted some great groups with pre production rifles.

MLN1963

Is this a 60° throw due to the 3 lug bolt?
RPR 6.5 Creedmoor
Bergara 6 Creedmoor

Wilson1911

flyer

The more I see, the more I like.

I have never owned a 700, what options will it have for the safety?

I tried looking and found the New Ultra Lite Arms two position, three function safety that fits stock and Timney triggers.  Would that and a Calvin Elite be a good combo?

Can anyone tell if the action has the stuff to lock the bolt on safe?  I don't know what to look for.

flyer

I just put my money down on a Nucleus action and ordered three of the quick change setups.

There is a YouTube video showing the barrel tensioner with something like 100 inch-pounds of torque resisting 100+ foot-pounds of torque trying to unscrew the barrel.  The fact that you can get it that tight with zero friction wear on the threads and essentially zero chance of changing headspace in the tightening process has sold me.

I'm going to copy the PVA John Hancock with a KRG Bravo chassis, but upgrade to a Calvin Elite trigger and a cut rifled PVA Savage pre-fit barrel.

I'm going to cry a lot over the scope because I'm going to go first class.  I'm not sure what yet but it will be as nice as the rifle.

Lastly, I'm going to get a Seekonk torque wrench so I can assemble everything with the precision it deserves.  I've been meaning to get one for a while...

flyer

I just ordered a TSQ-150 on eBay.  I'll be set for inch-pounds soon.

Wilson1911

Flyer, did you get the barlock system that's specific to the nucleus ? It shows this one with a barrel nut...like a savage. There is also a barlock system for shouldered installs...which I think the vid covers.

So kind of like a V1 and V2 barlock.

I want the barlock for shouldered installs, but can't figure out if that's what josh is offering on the barreled action sale. And they are all at shot show this week lol.

flyer

They are offering the Barlock for $50 to Nucleus customers which is why I ordered three.

It looks like the Nucleus system is a recoil lug with conical seat, a barrel nut with conical seat and a tensioner with toroidal seats.  Since the Nucleus uses the same barrel threads as a small shank Savage, I'm hoping I can use the Barlock on a Savage.  It won't have the scope rail locating the recoil lug but I think it can be pinned.

The shouldered Barlock seems to have a conical seat piece that gets installed on the shoulder but the shoulder is going to have to be cut for the Barlock, it won't work with an off the shelf Remington barrel that is intended to bottom on the recoil lug.

I think there will be plenty of time between SHOT show and delivery of the Nucleus action so I'll know exactly what I'm getting before it ships out.

The one big question I have is that the Barlock demo video showed a barrel with a clearance cut for the tensioner screw but the product description says that barrels don't need to be modified.

Hopefully they got rid of the clearance cut or else PVA will make the cut without a big upcharge.

Worst case I can chuck up my barrel to make the cut but I would rather everything comes as a drop in fit.