News:

New Members start here.

Main Menu

123 SST's out of the 6.5 creed?

Started by jr1968, October 05, 2017, 08:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jr1968

I know the 123's were made for the Grendel, but was wondering if they would work for Whitetail deer
in the 120-140lb deer, for the 6.5 creed?

Thanks,
jr1968

The Marshall

If the rifle likes them than yes, they will do it.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.
Every man has got to know his limits.

jr1968

Was just wondering, I have had guy's saying they are too fragile for deer out of the Creed.

jr1968

DHuffman

I may be wrong but thought  zenarchery was using them on hogs. I've got some 129s I'm going to load for a 6.5x47 lapua.
Dave

badger tuff

Quote from: 6.5savageguy on October 29, 2017, 06:39:38 PMI may be wrong but thought  zenarchery was using them on hogs. I've got some 129s I'm going to load for a 6.5x47 lapua.
Yup, Zen was smackin some big hogs with them 123 sst's, soooo, I would use them for whitetail deer with full confidence in the bullet.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand
  John Wayne

Shootin4fun

SSTs are fairly easily expanded.  Many stories of core separation, though I have no first hand experience.  I have done expansion tests though in with 130 grain .277s loaded to 2840  They open up faster than Interlocks, that's for sure, and then stop expanding.  Tests were through successive 2x6 boards separated by 1"of air space at 100 yards.  See ballisticsresearch.com for details. Different caliber and weights of SSTs do different things.