Skip to main content
Topic: Thoughts on custom build list? (Read 31894 times) previous topic - next topic

Thoughts on custom build list?

Hi all-

First of all I'd like to say that I've been following this forum for a while, and I'm impressed with the amount of knowledge and help provided.  So decided to join and ask for advice, and hopefully contribute back at some point :)  I've been very interested in a rifle chambered in 6.5CM for some time and finally decided on a bolt gun instead of a semi-auto because a)I already have enough gas guns and b)I want this to be a precision rig.

I've tried to do a good deal of research but I'm definitely a rookie in this area so please be gentle if I say/ask anything supid :D (this will be my first go at a real precision gun, and I'm sad to admit my first bolt gun as well). 

Here are my goals for the project:
-I want to go custom mainly because I love building rifles, and I'm just one of those guys that likes my guns to be unique.  I've done the whole "upgrade a factory rifle over time" thing and would prefer to just build what I want from the start on this one.
-Since this is my first bolt gun I don't want to spend a crazy amount.  Trying to keep the build under $2k.
-The gun will mainly be used for killing paper/steel, but would like to hunt with it occasionally as well.

Here's what I've got in mind so far for components, which looks like it'll be around the $1700 range:
-Savage Target Action - I chose this because I've read good things about Savage, as well as the Accutrigger, and I like the fact that I don't need to go to a 'smith for barrel install, etc.
-Shilen Select Match Barrel - read some pretty good things about these barrels
-XLR Element Chassis - seems to be fairly lightweight, customizable, and performs well.  not sure if this would be a good option though for taking it hunting.  I also think I read that a chassis system like this eliminates the need for bedding, is that true?
-20MOA base, maybe nightforce?

Anyhow I'd love to pick your brains for any thoughts/suggestions.  I'm pretty sold on the barrel but not quite as much on the action and stock.

Sorry for the lengthy post!  Thanks in advance for your help.

Re: Thoughts On Custom Build List?

Reply #1
I just went through the same thing.  Ended up right around that $2K mark for a 'nearly' custom gun based on a Winchester action.  I only say nearly custom because it started with a factory action; although it was blueprinted.  This was my first custom, first bolt, very similar story to yours really.

What gave me fits for the longest time was deciding what I wanted.  To give an analogy I'll talk about my days selling boats.  Occasionally someone would want a boat to party on(talking grill and seating for 20, fish from, and ski behind). Now, I was able to put together a deckboat, or some other Tri-toon pontoon boat contrivances that could get it all done.  None of them could out fish my rig, out perform my buddies wakeboat, or accommodate a party like a 25 foot pontoon...but they kinda did all the jobs.

What I ended up with is no kind of F-Class getup.  But it shoots 1/3" groups at 100yds and rings steel 300 and every time I stretch her legs she just stands right up to the challenge.  I think as a range gun it would be a hell of a good Silhouette's setup (want to shoot a 12-20# gun standing?)...for humping over hill and dale I wouldn't want a bit more.

$2000.00 + a good personal assessment + patience + research = a rifle you will thoroughly love.  Also, don't skimp on the glass.  But also don't drop the ball on fitting the scope to the rifle.  I consider what I have on my rig to be absolute MAX for that type of gun...I got some good advice that helped early on or I would have had 3 pound scope with 50 MM Ocular; which would have been ungainly and left me with a gun that has an identity crisis.

In my case, wanting a nimble and handy hunting rifle took precedence.  What I have is not exactly a mountain rifle but closer to that than a dedicated range gun.  There may be something in the middle but it will be a jack of all trades and master of none...sorry, like I said just went through the same thing.

Reply #2
Welcome.
Savage target action? Single feed only.
One of the reasons many choose to go with the 6.5CM is because the round can be setup for utmost accuracy by capitalizing on a short jump and still feed from a DBM or internal mag with a working COAL.
If I was considering hunting w/ it I'd want another round quickly need be.
If you're set on a prefit, Shilen barrel is a good choice. You can also go the Rem/Age barrel nut system and go prefit on a Rem 700 as an option. Food for thought is all.
I prefer Ken Farrell bases. Don't know how deep you plan on going with stick?  @ 1000yds you'll need about 9mills +/- w/ an average 2750 mv and 140gr. so if your going with a good scope with enough elevation you won't need the 20moa base but it won't hurt either way.
I'm building one now and going with a Manners. If you don't want to bed you can get a mini chassis and with a good barrel (properly fit) and load development it's not unrealistic to expect 1/2 MOA. If you skim bed 1/4 MOA could be attained if you are willing to do your part with the reloading aspect.
Taking a stock savage action, stock trigger group, putting a prefit pipe on and dropping it into an aftermarket stock- not bedded, really isn't custom tho. Custom will cost you more than $2k imho is all. Good luck and again welcome.

RIP Chris Cornell

Reply #3
If you are going to try to do a $2K build with optics, then it will be difficult to go custom.  You can do it, but will require a lot of patience to wait for stuff to go on sale.   Assuming you are only spending 2K on the rifle and not the optic, I would do this:

Here's what I've got in mind so far for components, which looks like it'll be around the $1700 range:
-Savage Target Action - I chose this because I've read good things about Savage, as well as the Accutrigger, and I like the fact that I don't need to go to a 'smith for barrel install, etc.

Instead of a savage action, I would go with a Remington 700 pattern action.  You can go with a Stiller Tac30 action.  Comes with a pinned recoil lug and a 20 MOA base.  - $1005

http://bugholes.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=88_97_98&product_id=209

-Shilen Select Match Barrel - read some pretty good things about these barrels

I would go with a Remage barrel setup with a barrel nut.  No smithing needed: http://northlandshooterssupply.com/match-grade-barrels/criterion-remington-barrels/

26″ – Stainless Match – Rem/Age – Varmint – 6.5 Creedmoor – 8 Twist – $328.00

-XLR Element Chassis - seems to be fairly lightweight, customizable, and performs well.  not sure if this would be a good option though for taking it hunting.  I also think I read that a chassis system like this eliminates the need for bedding, is that true?

Yes, this does not require bedding.  It is a V-block style mounting system.  I like this chassis, but cost is a little much for the budget.  I would go with this:  https://www.magpul.com/products/hunter-700-stock-%E2%80%93-remington%C2%AE-700-short-action - $259

-20MOA base, maybe nightforce?  Not needed as it comes with the Stiller action

You will need a trigger and I would go with a Timney Calvin Elite or Jewell trigger -  If you are hunting, then maybe the Timney - $170

This leaves you with about 200 bucks.  Not bad egh? ::) :P 
* you may begin shooting when your target appears!

Reply #4
thank you all very much for your input, I truly appreciate it.  it has certainly given me some more to think about.  I do like the Rem/Age suggestion, that was on my radar but I'll look more at it.

and sorry for not clarifying a few things initially:
-I did mean $2k before optics.  I still have much research to do in this arena so I won't pester you guys just yet asking about it - having said that I'll listen to suggestions if anyone has any
-The max range will most likely be 800 for now as there isn't anything longer in my area
-sorry if folks around here have a different definition of "custom," I told you I was a rookie :) simply meant something not bought as a complete factory rifle
-I do realize the "ace of all trades" unicorn gun doesn't exist so apologies if it sounded like that's what I'm going for.  This will be primarily a target gun, but wanted to avoid anything that would make it unfeasible for taking hunting a couple times - like what Danbonzo pointed out about the action being single feed only, not sure how I missed that :-[  /doh/

@westside benny - I'd be interested to hear the details on your setup

thanks again for the help, I look forward to doing some more research and hearing more from y'all

Reply #5
dang i want to contribute to this post but dont think i can-
a dual port savage action is a good choice for a starter- i prefer a 700 action if not the full blown custom action like bat b, defiance, or borden rimrock.  a trued , blueprinted short action 700 is around 450.00 and dollar for dollar are hard to beat.
i used to shoot shilen ss select match barrells a long time ago  but in a 264 caliber the bartlein's are dominating. 1:8 twist 5r are 350.00 - whatever you get make sure its atleast finished at 28 in, the longer the better.
jewell trigger is a must but they dont make them for savage.
as for stocks -i cant say. for ME i do NOT like a chassis style tacticool stock, for a really good stock that tracks well and wont break the bank look at bell& carlson medalist, they have an aluminum block inside an pillar blocks .
egw makes a 20 moa rail that is alot cheaper than a nightforce. this is my opinion but theres no way i d build a rifle and not bed it. never had a chassis system though.
except for the action my gunsmith has everything you need on the shelf and i can get you a heck of a deal.
i ll put my reputation on his work too .he ll be as cheap or probobly cheaper than anyone else too.
"kill em all"

Reply #6
I completed my custom build last fall.  A Savage Target Action (RBRP),  HS Precision Stock,  Shilen select match 26 in Bull barrel, PTG bolthead, Murphy precision 20 moa base.  I named my rifle Mjolnir.

[media id=1165 type=preview align=center caption="Mjolnir and Hubbel JR 1"]

He is way to heavy to take hunting unless the hunting is a field of prairie dogs.

However I have been thinking about your build and my suggestion would be a Savage SS Varmint action, HS Precision stock.  I would pick a shilen select match varmint barrel, PTG bolthead,  upgraded barrel lug and nut, and CTI bottom metal. 

http://www.cdiprecisiongunworks.com/index.html

Eric

NRA Benefactor Life Member<br>Crafty Old Fart

Reply #7
I second the B&C medalist stock.  I just dropped my savage into one.

Reply #8

I second the B&C medalist stock.  I just dropped my savage into one.

I third it, I bedded a savage 10 in a B&C. The aluminum chassis is great for the price point. Shoots lights out. I would always want a layed up stock and bedded action over any of the Tupperware offerings. Again just my preference and opinion
RIP Chris Cornell

Reply #9
it aint no tooley or mcmillan for sure but for less than 250.00 theyre like a sore peter... hard to beat :D
"kill em all"

Reply #10
[media id=1166 type=preview align=center caption="20150516 105411 1"]
I just built this one. 

Reply #12
thanks for the advice everyone!  too many responses to reply individually but I really appreciate the honest feedback - nowhere near the amount of a-holeness as some other forums :)

@swampthang thank you very much for the offer, I'll PM you once I've got a more finalized list together and see if your smith can help.
could you shed some light on why you said the barrel must be 28" or longer?  seen quite a few 26" and even some 24" builds - is there really that much difference bumping up to a 28"? 

those B&C stocks do look like quite a bit of bang for your buck.  the Style 2 and Style 3 look solid, anyone have any input on 2 vs 3?  also are there any shooters out there on the smaller side using them comfortably?  i'm only 5'7"

@slickrick0999 looks good, mind sharing the component details? and what does she weigh?

Reply #13
Here was my build. This doesn't include my McRee chassis, bipod, scope and rings.
This was done 2yrs ago..
[media id=1167 type=full align=center caption="image"]

Reply #14
Savage 4.4" action with side bolt release
PTG bolt head
factory ACCU-Trigger
Weaver 20moa base
Criterion barrel cut to 24" and threaded, trued recoil lug and barrel nut from NSS.
XLR Element Chassis w/folding adapter and NIV mount. 
Nightforce F1 scope in NF Ultralight Rings & AAD Scope caps
ALPHA mags

Don't know about the weight, I'll check