Skip to main content
Topic: Savage 6.5 Creedmoor. Any Good? (Read 47233 times) previous topic - next topic

Savage 6.5 Creedmoor. Any Good?

Hi all,

Happy to be part of such a great forum and soon to be new owner of a 6.5 creedmoor savage.

So the gun I'm looking at getting is a Savage mod 10 predator hunter max 1 in 6.5 creedmoor.
I guess I just wanna know if these models are any good and most importantly what the accuracy is like.
I have other savage rifles and they are all super accurate and .5 Moa groups are normal with factory ammo, hopefully reloads will close it up a bit more.

Thanks all

Re: Savage 6.5 Creedmoor. Any Good?

Reply #1
My brother has the predator savage in 243 win with the accutrigger, accustock and heavy barrel.  He loves it.  I would make sure it has the accu- "stuff" on it.  This will be my next hunting rifle.  In w creedmoor of course.

Reply #2
Welcome to the forum Hunter.   You will like the Savage.  What sort of glass do you plan on putting on?  I would expect that with good handloads .5 moa can be exceeded.

Send pics and keep us posted

Eric
NRA Benefactor Life Member<br>Crafty Old Fart

Reply #3
Mine shoots lights out, but it takes a good break in. Copper jags down barrel will be pretty extreme, get some m-pro copper cleaner and nylon brush to remove it. Remove it often, 5 shots, clean, 5 shots, clean, get the idea. After around 70 rounds mine started to print groups in the .4 with factory match ammo at a 100yards. Great rifles though.[media id=980 type=preview align=center caption="IMG 20150311 160523 751"] this is mine
I am Appalachian American

Reply #4

Hi all,

Happy to be part of such a great forum and soon to be new owner of a 6.5 creedmoor savage.

So the gun I'm looking at getting is a Savage mod 10 predator hunter max 1 in 6.5 creedmoor.
I guess I just wanna know if these models are any good and most importantly what the accuracy is like.
I have other savage rifles and they are all super accurate and .5 Moa groups are normal with factory ammo, hopefully reloads will close it up a bit more.

Thanks all

Define "good" lol
I own 2 Savage bolts, for their purchase price I consider them to be very accurate and reliable rifles. From what I've read about Savage manufacturing they spent a considerable amount investing in machinery and tooling right around  the time the accu-trigger was developed and implemented a strict protocol for swapping out reamers,etc.. after so many cycles to help maintain accuracy (it's why the bolts are numbered, to keep track) I think it's why they have developed the reputation they have in the industry. I have a 10 action w factory pipe that shoots sub1/4 w hand loads. The "plastic" stock that came w it was just straight up junk so I swapped and bedded a B&C in its defunct place. With the "Hasbro" stock I don't believe I ever would have realized this platforms true potential even w handloads. So yes, for the money I feel that Savage cranks out some very consistently accurate rifles, which is really what we, the consumer can use to bolster their confidence in buying one, Thankfully your prolly not falling victim to "damn! it was made on a Mon. or Fri." curse any longer because of the machining processes as of late.
I can't speak on the Axis series but I also believe in the you get what you pay for adage, so it's prolly fair to assume corners are obviously being cut, not necessarily a bad thing if one plans on using it as a foundation on a build and uses the savings to purchase the quality parts and do it up right if they really want to maximize it's potential. For some 2" w factory ammo is good enough, so a budget rifle build can easily work. But your model 10 isn't a budget rifle and should easily get you where you want to be in regards to accuracy. Especially if you decide to reload for it which a completely different subject... Good luck and welcome to a great forum 
RIP Chris Cornell

Reply #5
Haha...I just posted about my brand new savage 6.5CM.  My experience sucks!!  There is no throat in the chamber.  ugh.  My first savage=my last savage.

Reply #6

Haha...I just posted about my brand new savage 6.5CM.  My experience sucks!!  There is no throat in the chamber.  ugh.  My first savage=my last savage.

Contact customer service. I'd bet they would be willing to help you out and make it right.
RIP Chris Cornell

Reply #7
Savage and 6.5CR are a good combination in the Model 10 series. I have one that shoots very well with several different handload combinations. My only wish is for the target Accutrigger. My 10FLCP-K came with the standard Accutrigger. At some point I will retrofit with an aftermarket adjustable.  Here is a good representation of what my rifle will do. The Load data/COAL and CBTO are shown on the margin of the picture.[media id=982 type=preview align=center caption="6 5CR 140 AMAX Group"]
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen."   -Jeff Cooper

Reply #8
I took it to my gunsmith today.  If someone is going to fix it, I trust him a lot more than Savage at this point.  He said he could probably polish it til it fit, but he is more of an 'exact' kinda guy and wants to ream it the correct way.  It will take him about 2 weeks to get it back to me, with a guarantee it will be fixed the right way.  Besides, Savage told me i needed to pay for shipping, which from where i live is 40 bucks.  Its 70 for the smith to do it.

Reply #9
I bought a 6.5 CM Predator Hunter Max-1 that would shoot .5 MOA once and 1.5 MOA on the next group. It was very unpredictable.
It took a while to find the problem. At the muzzle end of the barrel the rifling was missing on one side. I sent the gun back to Savage with a letter stating what I had found. They checked the gun out and returned it without repairing the gun.I called and talked to a rep at savage and he told me the gun checked out to factory specs. and there was nothing else they could do. I have replaced the barrel with a McGowen and am pleased with the gun(not savage). I have the inspection papers and the barrel to show others who want to buy a savage. They lost a customer that day.
JDUB

Reply #10

I bought a 6.5 CM Predator Hunter Max-1 that would shoot .5 MOA once and 1.5 MOA on the next group. It was very unpredictable.
It took a while to find the problem. At the muzzle end of the barrel the rifling was missing on one side. I sent the gun back to Savage with a letter stating what I had found. They checked the gun out and returned it without repairing the gun.I called and talked to a rep at savage and he told me the gun checked out to factory specs. and there was nothing else they could do. I have replaced the barrel with a McGowen and am pleased with the gun(not savage). I have the inspection papers and the barrel to show others who want to buy a savage. They lost a customer that day.

That sucks.
I guess I got lucky, both mine shoot lights out..
RIP Chris Cornell

Reply #11
I have a Model 12 BVSS in 243 that shoots.25 MOA almost every time. I felt the Model 10 would be a tack driver also. The McGowen barrel shoots .375 MOA with only 80 rounds down the pipe.
JDUB

Reply #12
 It seems Savage is hit or miss when buying one.  Those that shoot great.  Like my Edge in 223 , are wonderfully accurate rifles. However,  enough.of the higher priced ones just don't work or don't work right.
When they are good,  they shoot great but I have seen ALOT of broke down,  don't shoot worth beans Savages.  Out of all the crf Rugers I've had,  only 1 of them wasn't totally reliable out of the box.  That was an Ultra Light SS in 06 that had excessive head space.  That's around 1in 35 failure rate.  I never contacted Ruger about it because I needed a 100% rifle right away . Got rid of it and got a Compact 308. However I know a guy that can't buy an accurate Ruger.  He's the most unlucky purchaser of Ruger bolt guns I've ever heard of.  Oh well. He just needs to buy something else. Its my opinion that there are some guns a guy should get and some they should leave on the gs shelves.  I feel bad foranyone that gets a lemon rifle.  Then there are lucky rifles.  I'm concerned my 6.5 Creedmoor Hawkeye is unlucky as it hasn't killed hardly anything yet. Where as my 9.3×64 has killed everything its been correctly pointed at with 1 shot.
If your going to be a Bush Alaskan You need a perfect winter rifle. The Ruger M77 Hawkeye SS in 6.5 Creedmoor is mine.<br>You are being watched.

Reply #13

Welcome to the forum Hunter.   You will like the Savage.  What sort of glass do you plan on putting on?  I would expect that with good handloads .5 moa can be exceeded.

Send pics and keep us posted

Eric

Hi Eric
Mate I have a nightforce nxs 3.5-15x56 with moar reticle ready to go on, I have 3 nightforce scopes and I think they are absolutely brilliant optics and great on long range set ups.

Thanks
[mergedate]1428750895[/mergedate]

Hi all,

Thanks all

Define "good" lol
I own 2 Savage bolts, for their purchase price I consider them to be very accurate and reliable rifles. From what I've read about Savage manufacturing they spent a considerable amount investing in machinery and tooling right around  the time the accu-trigger was developed and implemented a strict protocol for swapping out reamers,etc.. after so many cycles to help maintain accuracy (it's why the bolts are numbered, to keep track) I think it's why they have developed the reputation they have in the industry. I have a 10 action w factory pipe that shoots sub1/4 w hand loads. The "plastic" stock that came w it was just straight up junk so I swapped and bedded a B&C in its defunct place. With the "Hasbro" stock I don't believe I ever would have realized this platforms true potential even w handloads. So yes, for the money I feel that Savage cranks out some very consistently accurate rifles, which is really what we, the consumer can use to bolster their confidence in buying one, Thankfully your prolly not falling victim to "damn! it was made on a Mon. or Fri." curse any longer because of the machining processes as of late.
I can't speak on the Axis series but I also believe in the you get what you pay for adage, so it's prolly fair to assume corners are obviously being cut, not necessarily a bad thing if one plans on using it as a foundation on a build and uses the savings to purchase the quality parts and do it up right if they really want to maximize it's potential. For some 2" w factory ammo is good enough, so a budget rifle build can easily work. But your model 10 isn't a budget rifle and should easily get you where you want to be in regards to accuracy. Especially if you decide to reload for it which a completely different subject... Good luck and welcome to a great forum

Hi mate,
I think I should have explained myself a little better when asking if they were any "good".
I have other savage rifles that shoot fantastic but they are all laminated stock varmint models and I guess I was just wondering how the synthetic accstocks compare and just the mod 10 in general.
Savage rifles aren't big here in Australia, I worked in the gun industry for a couple of years and everyone wanted remingtons or tikka, but every chance I got I sold a savage (except axis) and no body ever came back complaining. I think they are good thing

Thanks
[mergedate]1428751606[/mergedate]

Savage and 6.5CR are a good combination in the Model 10 series. I have one that shoots very well with several different handload combinations. My only wish is for the target Accutrigger. My 10FLCP-K came with the standard Accutrigger. At some point I will retrofit with an aftermarket adjustable.  Here is a good representation of what my rifle will do. The Load data/COAL and CBTO are shown on the margin of the picture.[media id=982 type=preview align=center caption="6 5CR 140 AMAX Group"]

Mate I hope mine shoots like that, that's fantastic. Good shooting

Reply #14
Hunter- thanks for the compliment!  I had what I thought was a very good day... If I recall, my similarly configured Model 10 in .308 Win was also grouping well at that same time, but the Creedmoor is my favorite.  Named them both after old girlfriends. The 6.5 CR is "Sally" and the .308 is "Mary".  Now there is a topic we can discuss all day!... 8)
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen."   -Jeff Cooper