Skip to main content
Topic: Whidden FL non bushing sizing die issues  (Read 98 times) previous topic - next topic

Whidden FL non bushing sizing die issues

Hi there,
is there somebody using Whidden FL sizing dies, non bushing ones, willing to discuss it’s proper adjustment etc. and potentially help me with my Lapua brass sizing issues (2 times shot in the same bolt action rifle - Tikka T3x tac)? First one is shown on the picture below - the die, at even the slightest setting, not touching shellholder at all and mounted exactly as manual says, literarilly shaving the metal off the brass, happens basically with every piece of brass I try to resize. The second, tight closely to 1st I assume - very tough, sometimes almost impossible, press operation, especially when expander is goin through the neck on the way back. I did the research on this, inspected the die multiple times - there are no signs of it being defective or so (and it sizes the brass totally precise, haven't used that accurate dies for sure and the quality of the dies is obviously high). But It seems very unusual and feels basically "not normal/safe". Would be glad for any hints, or piece of advise. Thanks in advance and have a nice weekend!
T

Re: Whidden FL non bushing sizing die issues

Reply #1
Here are a couple question and please no offense intended.

Did you give the die a thorough cleaning before use?

If yes did you lube the die before use?

Did you give your brass a good cleaning and lube before sizing?

Almost anytime I've had sizing trouble I have chased it down to one of  /\ These things.

Is your expander adjusted so it's in the neck at the same time as the neck is in the neck of the die and are you lubing the insides of the necks.
It could be the picture or the lube but the brass looks dirty and or it looks like it is getting marked up as your OP states.
Dave

Reply #2
I'd give the die a good cleaning regardless to the answer of any of the above questions and polish it with some kind of metal polish on a chamber mop spun with a drill followed by another good cleaning and a good spray of One Shot.

It sounds to me like your die and or brass are gritty.
Dave

Reply #3
Thanks a lot for comprehensive summary, honestly! I'm definitely not a pro, more like opposite way as could be seen in my another thread about load dev. :D So I have already tried multiple distances from shellholder (and different shellholders too) and different decap rod assembly setting. But stopping there - maybe not tweaked with that the way it could be effective - that's one of many good points you stated:). Also like dozen of brass - all shot in the same Tikka T3x tac, previously FL sized with Hornady custom FL sizing die in one lot/Die setting, after same time of dry tumbling, trimming, chamf., deburr. etc. - again all in one lot, so it should be some consistency there. Just not weight sorted. I didnt want to carry on trying and potentially ruining good quality, nearly new Lapua's tho. Used two different lubes - Hornady and Lee, (dont have Redding imperial tho) intentionally with different ammounts of it, when I lubed every case individually. Not lubing the neck inside. Carefully cleaning ofthe new die many times with aceton paying attention especially on that ring on the edge of body/shoulder (I have the impression that this is the place when brass metal is scraped off as those flakes of brass appear there) + gun clp solvent after reading and searching about this topic. None of the procedural changes really changed the outcome which is the same. With managing to brake decap. pin when manipulating with expander ball and stem as a bonus  ::)
But anyways I'm gonna complete all the steps, with the ones you mentioned and I haven't done!

EDIT also made sure and carefully adjusted decap rod assembly to be right in the center although some ppl recommend not to tight the secure ring and have it lil bit loose, which I kinda didn't see as rational idea, but that's just my amateur oppinion.

Reply #4
I'd give the die a good cleaning regardless to the answer of any of the above questions and polish it with some kind of metal polish on a chamber mop spun with a drill followed by another good cleaning and a good spray of One Shot.

It sounds to me like your die and or brass are gritty.

just one note about this i forgot to mention, i have also put selliers and hornadys, with no such a careful care, tumbling etc and It was OK and worked normally. I do know that these are much more soft, than Lapua's, just wanted to complete the "sitrep". Althought is pointless  anyway I guess as speaking of softer brass, which is obviously more tolerant to some innacuracy etc. And the last thing which came to my mind now - used Lee and Hornady FL resizing dies before on the same lot of brass with every single aspect the same as mentioned above and haven't had a single issue with tough press action, not speaking of some metal shaving.

Reply #5
If the Hornady die was working for you why did you switch to the Whidden? Plenty of people make very good ammo with the cheapest Lee dies.

I haven't followed your other thread or threads closely so I'm not sure what you've done up to this point but I'd put the Whidden away and go back to the Hornady for now.
Dave

Reply #6
If the Hornady die was working for you why did you switch to the Whidden? Plenty of people make very good ammo with the cheapest Lee dies.

I haven't followed your other thread or threads closely so I'm not sure what you've done up to this point but I'd put the Whidden away and go back to the Hornady for now.

Well I was thinking the better dies would make more precise and consistent results, showing up the idea wasn't the good one tho :D

There's manual if you're interested, or would possibly see sth very important I might have overlooked/not paying attention to enough

Reply #7
Not all dies are reamed to the same specs.
Your Hornady could be more generous inside versus the Whidden than could have tighter tolerances, add in the heavier Lapua brass versus the Hornady and I think your seeing the difference.
As Dave said polish the Whidden with some JB'S or similar product and reclean and lube die.

Reply #8
Yep, totally agree on this next step guys, will do that when I'm back home. Thank you for all the input, I hope It's gonna work :)

Reply #9
I'm familiar with the die and manual. No die will make your ammo better until you have developed a sound reloading procedure from fired case to finished round.

How did you determine the Whidden was better than the Hornady? I'm not saying it is or is not but just because something costs more and looks nicer it may not necissarily do it's intended job any better
Dave

Reply #10
I'm familiar with the die and manual. No die will make your ammo better until you have developed a sound reloading procedure from fired case to finished round.

How did you determine the Whidden was better than the Hornady? I'm not saying it is or is not but just because something costs more and looks nicer it may not necissarily do it's intended job any better
h

Took advice from my friend who is ex military veteran and now running one of the few reloading stores in our small country for living and shooting competions (he has no connection nor distributing or having Whidden stuff on stock trying to sell me expensive shit:D) and good reviews + reading quite a few articles on this topic. But yes, even that doesn't mean this should have been the right decision, in the end, I purchased it :D