Skip to main content
Topic: Annealers (Read 424 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Annealers

Reply #15
Unless you’re in the commercial annealing business why would you want anything faster than a manually operated AMP?   I couldn’t afford the brass 😀
Roaneman

Reply #18
Unless you’re in the commercial annealing business why would you want anything faster than a manually operated AMP?   I couldn’t afford the brass 😀

LOL now there is a common sense statement!!

Auto feeds are nice though. They let you walk away and work on something else. I don’t have one though and don’t plan on the purchase. Kinda like to sit there and watch those little suckers cook. 😊

Reply #19
I'm out there on the fringe but I have been using the Salt Bath process and find it effective.  Like the AMP, it is a manual process but I can keep up a pace of one every 6 seconds and get thru a couple hundred rounds in pretty short order.   I ended up ditching the rheostat on the Lee pot and built a PID based controller.  I added an adjustable timer (3 secs to 13 secs) which goes beep when it is time to cycle the brass out of the pot.  
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

Reply #20
I have an AMP with the AZTEC software.  I like the convenience of being able to get a solid numerical value for each specific case type and set the unit to that value and be done.  Drawbacks are the lack of automation that I had with the Annealeeze I owned prior to that.  I know plenty of very competitive national level shooters, including champions, that use gas annealers (among them Benchrest, or equivalents, are the most used).  If I had a more open area to anneal my brass I would likely sell my AMP and get a quality gas annealer; running several hundred cases in a sitting is a major PIA with my AMP.  With a properly set up gas unit I think one can get the cases annealed with enough consistency between cases to equalize performance.  This requires getting a gas flow that does not fluctuate and this requires a decent size tank and a quality regulator...but very doable.

As far as the very expensive autoloader for the AMP....not ready for prime time and way too costly IMO.  I base this off of experience of a friend who was an early adopter and sort of a beta tester.  It seemed to jam more than enough to deter me and he ended up with a lot of very dented case mouths.

I use a 20lb bottle with no regulator, dual head. Still on the original fill. Still shows full.  I have a regulator for it, but with it on, I could not get it to work at all. It just takes a few more minutes to set up without using one. This reminds me that I need to build a better annealer sill. Maybe this winter.

Reply #22
lol......good one Chris.   I just use a couple to heat the salt. ;)
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

Reply #23
IMO - Haven't used any of the mentioned items, but did my research on all of them before deciding on the Annie induction.  Now that I have it used it with a stand setup it's easy to use and doesn't require any additional items for different calibers.  Water cooled unit where the coil has so far not gotten hot with 50 cases annealed at a time.  Fits me to a tee annealing 6.5, .308, & .338.

Owen
CaptMarine

Reply #24
Keep forgetting about the Annie, glad it's working well for you.
Dave

Reply #25
Just got my AMP 2 yesterday. Been playing with it all day. Great machine. Probably will be selling my Bench Source annealer.
Jim Harris
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid". Sgt Stryker

Reply #26
Good call.  They may include an AMP baseball cap.  Don’t wear it at the range. New friends will want to borrow your AMP. 😀
I went to the range today and told some of my buddies about my new AMP. You were right. They wanted to borrow it. I said no you cant borrow it but I would anneal some for you. I've got about 15 bags of about 100 each to anneal now. I told them that I would have to destroy one for each bag. Several got really pissed off about that so I said you do it yourself then.
Jim Harris
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid". Sgt Stryker