Skip to main content
Topic: Savage barrel misalignment. (Read 157 times) previous topic - next topic

Savage barrel misalignment.

Bee down this roadmanytimes,
Using allscopeadjustmentto reach zero.
Good news mysightcameackeoughifinallywasaletoseethrough theoreyesterday.
After my strokeitwasimpossibleto old-school bore sighted therewasnoteoughlightformetosee through.
Yesterdayafterboresightingicouldnthit thetargetat25 yards.
This rifledidhaeburrismounts ( my cureforsaagemisalignmet.
Ithasoftenbeen blamed on recieverwarpageduringheattreTbut iefound thedtampedrecoil lug thickness  inconsistencies  often wouldcockthebarrel off to one side. I found some Burris insertsftherings on this one were not cast or machined for the self centering partoftheseinserts. The inserts were xero, 5,10 & 20 moa inserts and I  was sure they would fix me up.
After dinner I pulled the barrel and measured the lug. It ended up a full .001 difference between the right and left sides. At one time I had three different CADD programs but none available right now that will work on my laptop. I was forced to use good old fashion geometry to figure out the error of .001 swung over to one side at25 yards the axis of the barrel would end up being 17+ inches off, if I calculated right. That also confirms my error on the cardboard box.
I'm on my way right now to flatten the lug a little more using every paper on a sheet of glass as my surface grinder. Btw this was a aftermarket ground lug. Supposed a .250 now measures .241 on one side .242 on the other.
If anyofyouguyshasCADD can you layout a .001error on a 1.06 barrel over25yards.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Re: Savage barrel misalignment.

Reply #1
After a second examination of my scope mounts my memory went into gear. The mount was not a Burris Sig zero as i thought but instead a Leopold adjustable windage base. Didn't get a chance to shoot it today, but anticipating tomorrow or the day after.
No report back from magneto speed yet. I am contemplating taping the cable in a position where the error goes away. All I have to do is wiggle the cable a smidgen and the display clears. I think I can duct tape it off to the side. And then try and see if it will pick up and offer a velocity. The velocity is important to me if i use it for any range over 200 out west when I go. My range finder reads out in moa correction based on the ballistics that I program in. A Bushnell and it has several cartridge ballistics preloaded i(e; by caliber and bullet weight).
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #2
Randy i used some black electrical tape on the wire coming out of the bayonet on mine.. it hasnt quit reading but the insulation coating was pulling out of the bayonet.. the electrical tape might work better than the duct tape..
Grant

Reply #3
Or slide some heat shrink up in there and gently warm it.

Reply #4
I put it on the 6.5-06 this afternoon. I taped it first and the bayo error disappeared.
I only got one velocity over approx 20 shots with two different rifles.
Still waiting for a response from MS, after a little research it appears others have had the same issue. In my email I left my address so my hope is they will mail me a new part/parts to get me out of the water. Others mentioned how great they are to work with and they honor their warrantee.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #5
Randy i used some black electrical tape on the wire coming out of the bayonet on mine.. it hasnt quit reading but the insulation coating was pulling out of the bayonet.. the electrical tape might work better than the duct tape..
Grant the idea of the duct tape was to hold it out of place, the point where the error code would not be active. I did get one reading from it but now am moving on th another caliber. I think I will switch back to my 6.5_257 bob, as i have leftover ammo from last year. I have velocity noted in other places. I could dig out the old shooting Chrony but i think the stand/light box has been dismantled the light box was necessary to prevent error and missed reads because of ambient light.
It was set so i had no setup time each time I shot. Probably was shot over at least 10000 times.  Bench. Chrony 100 yards target.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #6
Instead of emaling them i would give them a call and see what they say.. their number is on their website here.

https://magnetospeed.com/
Grant