Skip to main content
Topic: Savage barrel misalignment. (Read 123 times) previous topic - next topic

Savage barrel misalignment.

Bee down this roadmanytimes,
Using allscopeadjustmentto reach zero.
Good news mysightcameackeoughifinallywasaletoseethrough theoreyesterday.
After my strokeitwasimpossibleto old-school bore sighted therewasnoteoughlightformetosee through.
Yesterdayafterboresightingicouldnthit thetargetat25 yards.
This rifledidhaeburrismounts ( my cureforsaagemisalignmet.
Ithasoftenbeen blamed on recieverwarpageduringheattreTbut iefound thedtampedrecoil lug thickness  inconsistencies  often wouldcockthebarrel off to one side. I found some Burris insertsftherings on this one were not cast or machined for the self centering partoftheseinserts. The inserts were xero, 5,10 & 20 moa inserts and I  was sure they would fix me up.
After dinner I pulled the barrel and measured the lug. It ended up a full .001 difference between the right and left sides. At one time I had three different CADD programs but none available right now that will work on my laptop. I was forced to use good old fashion geometry to figure out the error of .001 swung over to one side at25 yards the axis of the barrel would end up being 17+ inches off, if I calculated right. That also confirms my error on the cardboard box.
I'm on my way right now to flatten the lug a little more using every paper on a sheet of glass as my surface grinder. Btw this was a aftermarket ground lug. Supposed a .250 now measures .241 on one side .242 on the other.
If anyofyouguyshasCADD can you layout a .001error on a diameter1.06 barrel over25yards.16.5 inch barrel.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Re: Savage barrel misalignment.

Reply #1
After my strokeitwasimpossibleto old-school bore sighted therewasnoteoughlightformetosee through.
Ithasoftenbeen blamed on recieverwarpageduringheattreTbut iefound thedtampedrecoil lug thickness  inconsistencies  often wouldcockthebarrel off to one side. I found some Burris insertsftherings on this one were not cast or machined for the self centering partoftheseinserts. The inserts were xero, 5,10 & 20 moa inserts and I  was sure they would fix me up.
After dinner I pulled the barrel and measured the lug. It ended up a full .001 difference between the right and left sides. At one time I had three different CADD programs but none available right now that will work on my laptop. I was forced to use good old fashion geometry to figure out the error of .001 swung over to one side at25 yards the axis of the barrel would end up being 17+ inches off, if I calculated right. That also confirms my error on the cardboard box.
I'm on my way right now to flatten the lug a little more using every paper on a sheet of glass as my surface grinder. Btw this was a aftermarket ground lug. Supposed a .250 now measures .241 on one side .242 on the other.
If anyofyouguyshasCADD can you layout a .001error on a diameter1.06 barrel over25yards.16.5 inch barrel.
After some soft filing with a fine file and sanding both sides on glass its now down to .240 on both sides. Ill have to load up some more 30tc before i can try it out.
Yesterday iannealed& sized 80 piers of brass for it. If the lug work gets it back "on target" I will shoot some more with it if my magneto speed problems get solved
 I've contacted the factory and reviews give them great VS
I'M waiting to hear if i can fix it. After some research I found that my problem is not unique others have had the same one.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith