Skip to main content
Topic: Polymer Cartridges (Read 298 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Polymer Cartridges

Reply #1
Not suggesting these cases will replace brass in the near future but the consistent case capacity that can be generated is very attractive to the key to accuracy which is rock solid consistent internal ballistics. I can see advancements with this material that could use thermal technics to adjust neck tension and the use of variable polymers that could affect lubrication of bullet release. None of these possibilities would occur without some progressive gunsmiths willing to experiment with the application of their chamber and barrel designs to accommodate.

Reply #2
I remember talking about this on here a couple years ago.. without the ability to manipulate the case i just dont see it gaining any traction.. is there any newer publications on this now jerry vs the 3 year old link?
Grant

Reply #3
They are smart in getting a government contract so they can just
concentrate on just a few cases and mass produce them.
It would take a big step for them to get into just 5-10 new case molding
dies.  And that would always leave out someone.
Companies are hard pressed now just to keep up with demand for brass.
Afraid it won't be for a few years when we would see them.

Reply #4
I agree with you guys. Seems like a real uphill battle but maybe not impossible with the current improving plastic technology. This companies approach seems to be focused on weight issues. I’m thinking there may be a materials potential that doesn’t care so much about weight but is focused on producing identical cartridges that are truly clones of each other. You know me - I’m always looking for consistency in components.

Reply #5
Jerry you should do a little digging on these guys.. and these cases.. everything that i can find about them is how dangerous they are and all case ruptures associated with them.. along with the misleading truths of their claims in the link you posted.. here's just one.. https://youtu.be/mCjNkbxHkEE
Grant

Reply #6
Yep those guys sound pretty PO’d. 😂 They probably have a point but it would also be nice to hear the companies side.

You seem to imply Grant that I recommended their product with my post. Is that what you were thinking?

Reply #7
       "You seem to imply Grant that I recommended their product with my post"  That's how I took it.

Reply #8
Not implying that at all.. i took your post as you thinking this polymer case may be a better mouse trap in the future..
Grant

Reply #9
Jerry you should do a little digging on these guys.. and these cases.. everything that i can find about them is how dangerous they are and all case ruptures associated with them.. along with the misleading truths of their claims in the link you posted.. here's just one.. https://youtu.be/mCjNkbxHkEE

That video is over 7 years old Grant. There will be problems with any new technology and I quit watching it when they dated it. I'd like to think they've continued to develop and improve it since 2015

I'm not interested enough in it to research it but if I were I wouldn't be getting my education from the folks on YouTube. I'm sure there are some fine intelligent folks on it but all I've ever seen are attention seekers usually with an axe to grind LOL

Does anyone remember The Real Gunsmith?
https://youtu.be/5KDrLsnt2MM

Dave

Reply #10
I'll bow out and stick to brass.. i did do some digging and seen all i needed to see.. carry on..
Grant

Reply #11
Grant I gotta make a statement here. I started that post to discuss the technology of plastics and their potential future application considering the possibilities of consistent molding and thus case consistency. Don’t believe I suggested that anyone use this particular companies product anywhere in my discussion. I’m a bit disappointed you decided to imply I was recommending an unsafe product - regardless of whether it is or not. I ask you guys what you thought the potential future applications could be. That’s it.
No hard feelings but next time think about who is placing the post and what you know about their knowledge and history of integrity.

Reply #12
If i were in the military, making the sacrifice of service to my country and packing 210 rounds of ammo along with all the untold weight of everthing else in my kit all day every day I'd want testing & development to continue and the wannabe operators on YouTube could better serve the effort by directing their criticism back to the company instead of getting on the internet and dragging them through the mud all for some payment based on how many views they get.
Some of these guys are as bad as the media and will say anything and dramatize the $hit out of it to get the "views" (no I DID NOT look where it's made I'm making a point here) We all say we want innovation by american companies to put americans back to work and keep american money in america until it costs more or it's not convenient but the irony is this is not specifically aimed at us. Sometimes it's not "All about us"

I think this (military/LE) is the real target market, not us. Even if the cases are exact clones of each other it seems like a one use case as it came loaded from the factory and as Grant stated I'm not sure how/if we would/could resize it, 100% spring back to the fired dimensions LOL . I'm thinking of it as like steel case ammo but much much kinder to your chamber, magazine feed lips, ramps etc.

I did not read any endorsement to use it in Jerry's posts just a desire to discuss the possibilities. Our forum could use more out of the box discussions that don't immediately death spiral into an it won't work $hit$how.
Dave

Reply #13
So after being encouraged by more than one member to watch the full video I did, the fact remains this happened 7.5 years ago.

I'm unclear on exactly when these two guys were made aware it had not been tested in a fluted chamber and when exactly it was recommend not to be fired in a fluted chamber.
The video is so overflowing with their opinions, emotions, what if scenarios etc etc etc that I have a hard time paying attention at times. This is why I hate YouTube with a passion, it's everyone's 15 minutes of fame where they get to claim their expertise on whatever and just ramble on like a 18 wheeler with no brakes. Write a frickin' script proofread it and stick to it if you want me to take you seriously and not be dozing off after 30 seconds.

If the fluted chamber acknowledgement was not mentioned beforehand and I was as much an expert as these two portray themselves to be I would have to assume some responsibility for not asking if it was tested in a fluted chamber.
In my understanding a fluted chamber has extra tolerance as in the flutes to lessen the grip on the case to aid in extraction. I have no real knowledge of this and may be wrong but if I have my own blog, my own YouTube channel where I'm compensated to generate views based on I'm more knowledgeable than a regular guy and I'm portraying myself and my friend as experts with vast knowledge on multiple platforms then at some point I need to look in the mirror and say "I should of thought of that"

If the lack of fluted chamber testing or fluted chamber warning was not available at the time of the incident then it was most certainly an oversight on the ammo makers part. If it was then it's all on these two "experts"

@4:50  They mention a website warning against fluted chamber usage, earlier I think there was a conversation at SHOT that said it was NOT tested in a fluted chamber.

@8:15 They say they were compensated for damages then immediately followed with a what if trade of things that did not happen.

Is there a possibility there was a carbon ring that pressured up the gun that had nothing to do with the polymer case or some other reason, how often do these guys clean their bores, was it an out of battery firing, was it a slam fire? The video shows 2 rounds fired.
All I hear are two guys trying to gain notoriety over an unfortunate event that without some expert lab analysis is all heresy.

I don't know how many of you guys have been litigated in a court of law for someone else's bad decision that think they need paid for because you didn't protect them from themselves, I'll be in depositions the next two days over someone else's bad idea that they never really thought through and never bothered to consult anyone on.
Step 1 for the IP (injured person), start repeating your version over and over until other people start repeating it.
Step 2 drag it out over the course of years and keep repeating the version that serves you and eventually reality goes by the wayside

This is my second incident where I've been sued and watching that video is all too familiar in both cases.

But seriously this incident was 7.5 years ago.... surely they've continued to develop and test it since then. If it's bad ammo it's bad ammo but I don't believe we need to be bashing a company over these two guys opinions on something that happened 7.5 years ago.
Dave

Reply #14
I'm guessing these are single-use cases?

Chris