Skip to main content
Topic: Big Bull Elk ?? (Read 219 times) previous topic - next topic

Big Bull Elk ??

I drew a tag in a trophy New Mexico Elk unit.  Unit 16.   They say it's a serious trophy unit.   Once in a life time tag.

I killed Cow Elk & Cow Moose with my 6.5 CM.   Dead is dead.  I use Nosler Accubonds 140,  moa accurate.

My guide is not happy when I mentioned 6.5CM.     He says .308 minimum, which I have a .308, but it doesn't shoot like my 6.5

Did anyone use a 6.5 on a serious Bull Elk ?

Re: Big Bull Elk ??

Reply #1
Short track, first off….I can’t disagree with your “dead is dead”comment.  I personally have full faith in a nosler accu bond out of a 6.5 cm on an elk. But, as an elk guide myself you’d be surprised what I see. You have to think about this from a guides perspective.  He has probably seen it all. He wants no more than for you to be successful. Bull elk especially BIG BULL elk are amazingly tough and can take an improperly placed bullet and go like hell. The bigger magnum calibers/heavier bullets do a much better job of penetrating heavy bone and muscle. Your guide is not aware of your capabilities until you show him, and at that point it may be too late.  Not to hate on the .308 or 6.5 cm as a cartridge (I own both) but I feel there are better cartridges for elk. The extra speed and energy that a true magnum produces are a hand up on taking a mature bull elk, especially at  distance. Not saying anything bad about the others but a crippled elk in “elk country” can be a bad thing. Sorry for the rambling but a few different perspectives to think about here. Oh, and don’t forget about yourself, it sounds like you have a great tag in your pocket. Give yourself the best chance possible good luck!

Reply #2
I can't really shoot a magnum.   Bad shoulder, bad neck.   I can practice all day with my 6.5, or even my .308.    If I go .308, it would be 168 grain all copper bullet.
But I'll be awful with a mag cartridge or even a .30-06

Reply #3
A 168 grain solid should be bad medicine on an elk. Good luck.

Reply #4
watch a vidio of wayne van zwoll  on you tube drop an elk at 603 yards with one shot 6.5 creedmoor it travels about 25 yards and drops.
hunt with what you shoot best, have your guide watch it also
the loudest voice is always heard but rarely listened too

Reply #5
How far do you expect to be shooting at?

Reply #6
200 yards max

Reply #7
watch a vidio of wayne van zwoll  on you tube drop an elk at 603 yards with one shot 6.5 creedmoor it travels about 25 yards and drops.
hunt with what you shoot best, have your guide watch it also
I don't know who Wayne Van Zwoll is but I'd reckon shooting anything at that range is pretty chancy to the point of being irresponsible, especially an animal that size. Sorry if I have offended anyone, but in my book hunting is about getting as close as you can, then get closer. It's hunting, not long range competition.

Reply #8
I would have zero issues inside of 200 yards with my 6.5 creedmoor and a 140 grain accubond bullet. Infact it would be my gun of choice to use, I also use the 140 accubond.

I shoot mine more accurately off hand, from awkward rests, or even running shots better than anything other than my 22lr.

I used my creedmoor last 4 elk I shot, and I also took my 300rum shooting 220 grain partitions at 3100fps. Still chose the creed. I am more confident with it and I shoot better with it under pressure, which I think counts more than the extra horsepower. As long as the bullet chosen is up for the task. And the original accubond is a great choice.

Reply #9
Yeah the 6.5 creedmoor can do the job just fine on elk especially if 200 yards is your max. 140 nosler accubonds first shot he was dead on his feet and i hammered him one more time just to make sure. Perfect mushroom!!

If you have a bad shoulder then i would take the rifle you can shoot the best- Your tag not his.
Marvin