Skip to main content
Topic: My first real reloading attempt - any suggestions/warnings/comm./? (Read 730 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: My first real reloading attempt - any suggestions/warnings/comm./?

Reply #45
I have and use the Redding comp shell holders.  I would only buy them again if they were more precise in the machine work, and they were in 0.001" increments instead of 0.002". Darn things were expensive up here to boot.

Reply #46
The Redding shell holders are designed more for if the body of the die is too long and you can't get the shoulder to bump. The deck is higher in them to position the case higher.

I have a set but have never had any luck using them but I'm sure I'm not doing something right. LOL in this situation I've had better results buffing or sanding off the face of a regular shell holder.
Dave

Reply #47
It seems when I set up my body die, I am always at an odd number, and have to tweak the die depth to get to the even numbers, drives me nuts lol. Also that deck height is not a consistent 0.002" gaps between each holder, at least on my set.

Reply #48
It seems when I set up my body die, I am always at an odd number, and have to tweak the die depth to get to the even numbers, drives me nuts lol. Also that deck height is not a consistent 0.002" gaps between each holder, at least on my set.

I'm not sure about the spread on the gaps but you are correct they are different to accommodate a bump in different situations.
Dave

Reply #49
Guys I reached some dead end or so, dunno what to think about the whole stuff and my attemps, just disappointment after today, that I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I was thinking todays load is gonna get me towards some final load build, but the opposite happened. Below I put excel sheet with results so far, and some pics of targets. Sorry those targets (groups) are totally random and incomplete. First time (first load) I just focused on velocities instead of groups (which was a mistake too I suppose). The second are bit better, but nothing really successful. Any thoughts? :/

Reply #50
EDIT: sorry last picture I wasn't able to attach:

Reply #51
I will refer back to this reply i made on the second page.. i would also sugest you quit worrying about the speed and numbers for now and study on this type of testing..

. if your not sure how to find the nodes in your rifle do some searches on ocw testing. (Optimal charge weight) theirs lots of threads on this forum on ocw testing and how to do them and what to look for..
Grant

Reply #52
I will refer back to this reply i made on the second page.. i would also sugest you quit worrying about the speed and numbers for now and study on this type of testing..

. if your not sure how to find the nodes in your rifle do some searches on ocw testing. (Optimal charge weight) theirs lots of threads on this forum on ocw testing and how to do them and what to look for..
The thing is I don't have dozens of bullets, pounds of powder, thousands of primers, as majority of ppl. Not to mention quite limited access to range longer than 70 yards :/ OCW is quite demanding regardind this...ofc I've already studied that for quite a long.

EDIT: Could you tell/assume at least sth from those numbers? :( As I couldn't tbh...

Reply #53
For me when you have over a 100 fps difference in speed with the same charge then them numbers dont mean anything.. other than you have a chrono problem or a serious problem in weighing your powder. I suspect its your chrono.. for a proper ocw test it takes 21 rounds.. you have already burnt up alot more than that and arent any closer.. im trying to help ya hear but its your choice whether to take my advice or not.. we can do it right or chase our tails..
Grant

Reply #54
In looking at your target (and I assume that these are all 4-shot groups), then 43.8 looked like a pretty good group.  I then looked at the spreadsheet with your measured velocities.  43.8 avg velocity was in the 2730-40 range which is good.  But I also noticed that the spread of velocities is large for all of the powder charges... much larger than I would want to see.  This, to me, indicates you may need to look at your loading process.  At a short distance, this may not show up as much on the target but once you go out further it will be a problem.  So controlling your powder measurement, neck tension and loading depth would be some places to look at.  I guess it could be your chronograph too I suppose.  If it is your equipment, then as Grant indicated, focus on the target since the numbers will just confuse you.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

Reply #55
I understand, and you are right. It was just disappointment speaking, not being rational. I suspect Chrono too, but either way, I will go OCW now. The same you're right at is stupid idea of mine about burning too much of consumables. Thank you again for pointing me at proper direction! Sure there could be some serious problem/misunderstanding in my reloading process, that's why I briefly described it in the text for you. But I can't really see any now. Doing my best, over-measuring everything like 3 times to be sure etc.

EDIT: I might be better tossing (sell) chrono away and buy mby magnetospeed for velocity measurements. The sporter version on ebay is even cheaper than my chrono.

Reply #56
I went back and stared at the spreadsheet some more....this data doesn't make any sense.  You should assume that the chrono is bad and just use the target to guide you.  I developed good loads for over a year without a chrono.....they are not necessary to find a good node.  The target will tell you.  So I would load some more at 43.8 and maybe 42.9 and see if they continue to group well.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

Reply #57
I would also read up OCW many times over, write down your procedure that you will use, and once you feel confident in the approach, reload to your best ability consistently for each case, If anything goes differently during any of the reloading process, set it aside and make a better one. When ammo is consistently the same ( or as close as you can make it, with the equipment you have ) then the results should be better.
I have had an unsuccessful OCW test, meaning nothing was very good on the paper, but that was fixed by switching powder, and doing an OCW over again. It saves components in the long run.
Sorry if y'all covered this already, I did not read all the posts.

Reply #58
Thanks a lot for nice sort of recapitulation:)  It is helpful for real, cause I tend to overthink stuff lil bit too much, so brief summary is very welcomed always. Cheers!
T.