Skip to main content
Topic: My first real reloading attempt - any suggestions/warnings/comm./? (Read 1185 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: My first real reloading attempt - any suggestions/warnings/comm./?

Reply #30
@tstanek

Typically the weak point in a power dispenser like the ChargeMaster or Frankford’s offering is the scale itself. They tend to drift from zero and not be especially accurate in the weight they record. You can get around that problem using an inexpensive separate digital scale like a GemPro or a JS-VG. I used the JS for a few years and found it to be very reliable.

Some of your velocities look very reasonable for the powder charge used and others are just plan out in left field. I would be suspicious of the numbers your chrono is giving. You are making progress with your reloading efforts and I have no doubt you will succeed because you are putting in the effort to learn and listening to good advice. BUT - you have to have measurements that are true, to guide you in the right direction. If you study up on the Optimum Charge Weight load development protocol, you really don’t need a chrono graph to develop a very good load for your rifle. Check it out in the internet, YouTube, and in our forum Reloading section to get the hang of it. If you feel you want your velocity numbers to help you progress, get an inexpensive MagnetoSpeed. It goes on the end of your barrel and should not be used when shooting load development groups, however, you can test an occasional representative round or two to see where your velocity is falling relative to the charge you are using. It is extremely accurate. Good luck and keep the questions coming. We can and would like to help you accomplish your goals. You have a great rifle and it will shoot lights out when you hit the magic formula.

Reply #31
@tstanek

Typically the weak point in a power dispenser like the ChargeMaster or Frankford’s offering is the scale itself. They tend to drift from zero and not be especially accurate in the weight they record. You can get around that problem using an inexpensive separate digital scale like a GemPro or a JS-VG. I used the JS for a few years and found it to be very reliable.

Some of your velocities look very reasonable for the powder charge used and others are just plan out in left field. I would be suspicious of the numbers your chrono is giving. You are making progress with your reloading efforts and I have no doubt you will succeed because you are putting in the effort to learn and listening to good advice. BUT - you have to have measurements that are true, to guide you in the right direction. If you study up on the Optimum Charge Weight load development protocol, you really don’t need a chrono graph to develop a very good load for your rifle. Check it out in the internet, YouTube, and in our forum Reloading section to get the hang of it. If you feel you want your velocity numbers to help you progress, get an inexpensive MagnetoSpeed. It goes on the end of your barrel and should not be used when shooting load development groups, however, you can test an occasional representative round or two to see where your velocity is falling relative to the charge you are using. It is extremely accurate. Good luck and keep the questions coming. We can and would like to help you accomplish your goals. You have a great rifle and it will shoot lights out when you hit the magic formula.

Thank you very much again and I'm truly glad not just for the technical side of thing, but very much the same for attitude and that kind support at this! It's quite rare these days and especially on the internet which is just full of criticism and hate :) I will keep this thread updated with some new findings etc. and try to be helpful at some point too :)

Reply #32
Hi guys :)
I have an update from today's reloads testing. I'd be glad for any comments as usual. Unfortunatelly just 60 yards range was available today, but at least I did some velocity measurements. Personally, I have mixed feelings, but since I'm still begginer learning, I think there is some progress hopefully. I had two loads - the first was kinda developement of the discussed one before, but I ran out of time to try 40,8 Gr load:(. Nosler 140 gr HPBT CC, RS60 powder, Lapua brass used once, full lenght resize with Hornady custom die, trimmed to same lenght, sorted by weight (not super precisely, but I put the outliers out), Federal GM205 SR primers hand primed. This time powder measured were double checked cause I don't particularly trust my Frankford Intellidropper :/. Seating with Redding Competition seting die. COAL was "measured" with multiple dummy rounds, but in the end I sticked to CBTO measurement with Hornady bullet comparator.

41 Gr RS60 CBTO 2,347 inch (COAL 2,846 inch)- 1, 2709 fps 2, 2738 fps
41 Gr RS60 CBTO 2,337 inch (COAL 2.834 inch) - 1, 2754 fps 2, 2742 fps

41,2 Gr RS60 CBTO 2,347 inch (COAL 2,846 inch)- 1, 2784 fps 2, 2780 fps - this load went "one hole", but since these were just 2 shot groups, I guess It's not that much important
41,2 Gr RS60 CBTO 2,337 inch (COAL 2.834 inch) - 1, 2757 fps 2, 2794 fps

Second load is new one - Berger 140 Gr Hybrid, N555 powder, cases, prep., dies, primers and the whole setup otherwise same. Hand weighted load, CBTO measurements, Brass sorting...here the results aren't so satisfyingI would say - inconsistent respectively. COAL was determined in same way as previous...Tikka has obviously quite "generous" jump to lands It seems.
COAL 2,889 inch (here I see possible mistake - Isn't it too long...?) CBTO 2,209 inch
41 Gr 1, 2624 fps 2, 2536 fps
41,5 Gr 1, 2609 fps, second measurement failed
41,8 Gr 1, 2608 fps 2, 2630 fps
42 Gr 1, 2646 fps 2, 2633 fps
42,3 Gr 1, 2655 fps 2, 2671 fps
42,6 Gr 1. 2667 fps 2, 2768 fps (?)
42,9 Gr 1, 2793 fps, second failed :/
43,2 Gr 1, 2742 fps, 2, 2781 fps
43,4 Gr 1, 2787 fps 2, 2697 fps (probably false measurement)

No signs of high pressures during shooting, nor on brass, mild recoil, same the whole time. Two last loads had groups basically one hole, but as said before, It's not so relevant at 60 yards.

Thanks in advance for any comments or ideas and have a nice day!
Teodor

Reply #33
tstanek, good work and great progress.

I shoot the 140g Hybrids in my 6.5CM but not with your powder, so I can't comment on the loads.  But there is a nice narrow node in the 2770-2780 range and a better one at 2830, which is where I load to.  So the two shots in the one hole is a good clue that there is something there....you need to load some more and shoot a larger group.  If you are not seeing any pressure signs, you may try to get to 2830.  But I do hear that Tikka's are a bit slower so you may not be able to safely get there.

Regarding the COAL, I load my Hybrids at 2.905 so your numbers are not a concern.  It is really a problem getting them into the Magazine that is probably the bigger issue for you.  I single feed so I only care about how they perform.  Which brings up a question, what jump are you loading to?  Hybrids so like some jump...what are you using?

The N555 powder is supposed to be a good match for the CM.  So I think we would all be interested to learn how your testing is going.  These days, having powder options is a good thing.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

Reply #34
tstanek, good work and great progress.

I shoot the 140g Hybrids in my 6.5CM but not with your powder, so I can't comment on the loads.  But there is a nice narrow node in the 2770-2780 range and a better one at 2830, which is where I load to.  So the two shots in the one hole is a good clue that there is something there....you need to load some more and shoot a larger group.  If you are not seeing any pressure signs, you may try to get to 2830.  But I do hear that Tikka's are a bit slower so you may not be able to safely get there.

Regarding the COAL, I load my Hybrids at 2.905 so your numbers are not a concern.  It is really a problem getting them into the Magazine that is probably the bigger issue for you.  I single feed so I only care about how they perform.  Which brings up a question, what jump are you loading to?  Hybrids so like some jump...what are you using?

The N555 powder is supposed to be a good match for the CM.  So I think we would all be interested to learn how your testing is going.  These days, having powder options is a good thing.

Thank you for kind words and support as usual :) I'd be more than happy to share all further results with you guys. 2,944 inch is COAL determined by multiple dummy round measuring. I did decrease a minimum lenght necessary to load in to magazine as I try to shoot those groups without any rifle movement and then went 0,05 jump. So It's like 2,944 -> 2,939 (for magazine) -> 2,889 (0,05 jump). Would you suggest to tweak it somehow? Or just to shoot more group at this setting and maybe after that? Cheers
Teodor

Reply #35
Your jump is fine at 0.050 for now.  You can play with that later if  you want.  But for now, keep working on finding the load that shoots the best.  I would recommend at least 3-shot groups with 5-shot groups being better in my opinion.  Find one that groups nicely and then go enjoy the rifle.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

Reply #36
Always remember.. only change one thing at a time.. that way you will know if the change helped or made it worse..
Grant

Reply #37
Guys I have lil bit OT question, but I'm thinking about this for several days. I’d like to ask you about body FL sizing die. Now I’m using Hornady custom grade FL die and I’m satisfied whit this one. Would it be “a step up” regarding quality and consistency, etc to buy better FL die - Hornady match one, RCBS, Redding, Whidden, or even some high end like Triebel? But maybe I shut concentrate or more important things tho...Any hints at this?
Thanks a lot,
Teodor

Reply #38
Teodor ask yourself this.. is my current die bumping my shoulder consistently and sizing the case well enough to chamber my rounds in my rifle.. if your answer is yes it is. Then use that money for something else..
Grant

Reply #39
Teodor ask yourself this.. is my current die bumping my shoulder consistently and sizing the case well enough to chamber my rounds in my rifle.. if your answer is yes it is. Then use that money for something else..
Very well said I guess :D Just overthinking stuff, sorry :/

Reply #40
No need to be sorry man.. being a new reloader just remember it takes time to figure this stuff all out.. and once you think you got it figured out then you learn more about it.. chances are you will burn the barrel out on your rifle learning how to load precision rounds for it.. and thats ok.. by that time you will have a good understanding on how to do things.. just take your time and soak up all you can.. spend alot of time in the reloading section reading on here.. theirs a wealth of knowledge there..
Grant

Reply #41
It's hard to beat the neck tension consistency on a conventional FL die with expander. I'd worry about something else for a while. 😁
Dave

Reply #42
It's hard to beat the neck tension consistency on a conventional FL die with expander. I'd worry about something else for a while. 😁
Yeah I assumed the same, but it was kinda reason to ask basically. If higher quality die will do this job more precise (setting proper neck tension better)

EDIT: I found somewhere that another way to go with this could be Redding competition shellholder set, which is suprisingly on stock in Czechia, but I do understand your advices and don't want to complicate it more.

Reply #43
The redding shell holders is another way to change how much your bumping the shoulder back to my understanding.. unnecessary in my opinion.. thats why the dies have threads on them .. so you can adjust the die to meet your needs.. save that money to and buy more powder and bullets with it.. 🙂
Grant

Reply #44
The redding shell holders is another way to change how much your bumping the shoulder back to my understanding.. unnecessary in my opinion.. thats why the dies have threads on them .. so you can adjust the die to meet your needs.. save that money to and buy more powder and bullets with it.. 🙂
Understood man! Finally can go sleep cause it's solved thanks:D