Skip to main content
Topic: My first real reloading attempt - any suggestions/warnings/comm./? (Read 1186 times) previous topic - next topic

My first real reloading attempt - any suggestions/warnings/comm./?

Hello there,
I'd like to ask you about my first reloading development, as I'm newbie at this. I haven't tested it yet, but I would feel more "comfortable" on the range, if some Pro's could spare a few words on that - if it's possibly dangerous, stupid, ..., or gimme some precautions etc., I'd be very grateful for any opinions and hints :) Thanks in advance and have a nice weekend!
Greetings from Czech republic,
Teodor

Load:
Nosler 140 gr. HPBT CC, Lapua SR brass, Federal GM205 primers, Reload Swiss RS60 initial load 40,20 Gr, then 0,2 Gr increments  (5 cartridges each step) to max. load which I decided as 42 Gr., C.O.L. 71,05 mm + - 0,05 mm, here I noticed bit of an inconsistency, but have had dies and everything set up very carefully, C.B.T.O. and seating measurement on the other side were good. I shoot Tikka T3x Tac A1 24" barrel.

Re: My first real reloading attempt - any suggestions/warnings/comm./?

Reply #1
I've got no experience with that powder, sorry
Dave

Reply #2
Ah yes, sorry, I suppose It's not that common in the USA. I've found solid comparison chart.

Reply #3
welcome to the forum tstanek  no experience with that combo here either... do you have access to a chrono? if you do could you give us some velocity data with your charges... we may be able to help you a little better if you do
Grant

Reply #4
https://www.reload-swiss.com/en/reload_swiss/service_2/rs_ladedaten_1/index.php?kaliber=6.5mm+Creedmoor&pulver=-&hersteller=-&gew_gesch=gr&gew_ladung=gr&geschw_mass=ft

Reload Swiss suggests a starting charge weight of 34 gr of RS60 for a 140 gr 6.5mm bullet in the Creedmoor cartridge.
Follow the most important rule of reloading - start with a low charge and work up.

Reply #5
I believe that RS60 and Reloder 17 are actually the exact same powder under two brand names.  I don't have any data for RL17.  The Sierra manual shows RL17 at 2300 fps at 34.0gr and 2800 fps at 42.3gr max.  Sierra's max numbers are not normally padded like many others, so I would not go rushing to close to their max.

Reply #6
I'm not sure they are the same, but in all of these tables they match them as powders with similar burning speed. Well so I assume the load isn't any good..? :( I've searched through many forums, GRT, Nosler and RS info and even after watching and reading about load developement ladder methods etc, thought that it's standard procedure to determine max load and then go - 1,5 Gr as a first one following +0,2 steps. Am I missing something very essential regarding this? Thank you guys anyway for the answers so far :)

EDIT: sorry I haven't answered the question about chrono yet. I have Caldwell ballistic precision chronograph ordered, which should be delivered next week.

Here is Nosler's info with the exact bullet and so RS60 is obviously comparable with H414 and Rel.17 they recommend 40.5 Gr as max load, but I assumed from what I've read so far they always tend to give lower max's for safety reasons I guess.

Reply #7
Just to be on the safe side dont compare one powder to another... even though they may be close to the same burn speed they may have completely different characteristics.. if 40.5 is what the manual says is your max load then i would start at 38 gr and load one round at that. Then another at 38.5 and another at 39 and 39.5 then 40.. from there i would go 40.3 and 40.6 and 40.9  use single rounds to find your max charge weight.. look the case over good after firing each one looking for pressure signs. One thing about reloading is you cant go by what someone else is using.. their gun is different than yours.. first step is finding max charge in your rifle with your powder and bullet combination.. or the desired speed your looking for if you reach that before you see pressure signs.. be safe..
Grant

Reply #8
Thank you guys  very much for all the precious info, I’m really glad for such an crucial input, I’m definitely gonna follow your advise and as soon as I get to the shooting and measuring I will share the results!
Have a nice start of the week and thank you once more :)
Teodor

Reply #9
Here is a Quickload run for the bullet and powder in question.  Start out low and work up.

Reply #10
Here is a Quickload run for the bullet and powder in question.  Start out low and work up.

Big thanks for this Sir, this is hugely appreciated! I was about to ask somebody to do a Quickload run for me, but didn't want to be annoying.
T

EDIT: I bought RCBS buller puller tool to start over following your advices, i know there are dozens of topics about this on the internet, but would you recommend me to resize the brass, or not ? thx

Reply #11
Looks pretty darn close to what you came up with on your own in the original post. 👍
Your Tikka might run these rounds a little slower than what QL if predicting but that rifle should give you very tight groups when you find the magic recipe.

Reply #12
I haven't played with GRT, but know they are running calculations based upon user submitted pressure testing. If they have a graphical output, look at RS60, and see if it's a classical peak; or if it's a progressive powder. That will answer the question about being from the same parent line as RL-17.

Everyone's data will vary in charge weight, sure to lot variations, the Chrono will be your cheapest reliable way to know where you lie in terms of pressure.

Cheers
I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Reply #13
Thank you again for another hint:) I shared the graphic output from GRT above in this thread. But tbh, being noob at this, from that graph I can't tell :D

Reply #14

Big thanks for this Sir, this is hugely appreciated! I was about to ask somebody to do a Quickload run for me, but didn't want to be annoying.
T

EDIT: I bought RCBS buller puller tool to start over following your advices, i know there are dozens of topics about this on the internet, but would you recommend me to resize the brass, or not ? thx

Yes - to re-establish neck tension.