Skip to main content
Topic: 911 again bit np helicopter (Read 437 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 911 again bit np helicopter

Reply #15
Glad everything worked out.
I have never been lost, but had moments of where the HE double hockey sticks am I.  My dad has bad hearing, and once he was walking through the forest that he was familiar with, and did a complete circle onto his own footprints.  Takes time to get the head working when that happens.

Reply #16
Glad everything worked out.
I have never been lost, but had moments of where the HE double hockey sticks am I.  My dad has bad hearing, and once he was walking through the forest that he was familiar with, and did a complete circle onto his own footprints.  Takes time to get the head working when that happens.
my dad also had poor hearing but after his first stroke he often got confused in the woods. Guess im turning into my dad, (like the commercial).
My hearing is ok but the circles i made the other day were due to my built in compass. I even fired up google earth once to give me a bearing to the trail i kept missing. Wish the satyelite pictures were real time.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #17
Glad you made it out without having to bivouac.  I've been turned around a few times and it was akin to a cardiac stress test until I was able to cut a familiar trail.

Reply #18
Glad you made it out without having to bivouac.  I've been turned around a few times and it was akin to a cardiac stress test until I was able to cut a familiar trail.
thanks Robin, in my hunter education instructor years we gave the signs to the students including panic and denial, most important thing is acceptance and admittance.
Being turned around in familiar country certainly had me a little panicky. Sweating like a butcher. The sweating and a tendency to move faster than normal has caused many lost hunters to shed their clothes, not a good thing...tired lost, wet with sweat hunters are often excellant candidates for exposure death.
Hoping that this stroke didntdamage my internal compass. Btw i had a compass in my pack. The highway was only about a half mile from me and i could hear traffic on and off confirming my direction of travel was correct. Also the sun position & wind direction also are things to take note of in the wilderness and add to awareness when direction is required.mote than once i have looked for moss on the north side of a tree (wifes tale that has some credence).
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #19
Buy a GERMIN In-Touch rescue beacon. It uses IRIDIUM satellites just like sat phones do and you can send short texts as well. When it is turned on yer wife and others can go online to the website, enter your password and up comes a topo map and dots showing your path and present location.

I currently use a similar beacon called SPOT Gen III but its satellites are not as good and there's no texting feature.

Eric B.
"I can stop buying guns and gun stuff anytime I want - I've done it hundreds of times."

Reply #20
Eric that sounds like a great tool! Sure would be good for hikers and hunters who push way into the back country. Especially in bad weather.