News:

New Members start here.

Main Menu

Why I hunt...

Started by DHuffman, November 26, 2020, 08:39:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DHuffman

First I don't hunt near as much as some people. I used to bird hunt, goose hunt, deer, antelope, prairie dogs etc.

I won't shoot what I won't eat except for varmints and predators so that limits me to deer and antelope.

We have another property where 4 landowners butt against each other and it is flat magic. We've taken many good deer there as well.

The 4 corners can only be accessed by a long 1-3 mile hike depending on the wind and cows. If you try to drive in you blow them out every time.

In these pics I'm hunkered down in a fence row 200 yards east of the 4 corners and this little buck comes straight east down the fence and sees me at 20 yards but doesn't know what I am so makes a quarter circle around me and wanders off north. He has a look over the ridge south of me then wanders back west and starts following a doe headed south who gets to the 4 corners and heads east down my fence line where she has the same reaction and they both make a circle around me.

I had many deer pass to my south and had many still coming my way from the neighbors that I ran out of light on.

Great way to pass an afternoon into evening even if you don't get to pull the trigger.

Dave

gman47564

not a tree in sight... that just blows me away... beautiful country dave...
Grant

DHuffman

Dave

mnbogboy

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3620372984686514&id=100001415432311

Dont know if this link will work.  My grandson Chase took this from the deer stand the other day.  The wolves will "chomp" each other's tails while scrapping over a meal.

All these reasons that Dave mentioned and experiencing God's great earth first-hand are why we all hunt. 

Happy Thanksgiving again to all.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

sportacus

Have my endeavors down to deer and turkey.  Now and again, go with a friend that has a good squirrel dog.  Enjoy  growing and chasing Bambi.  Getting to pull the trigger is just icing on the cake.
If you have the shot, take it.

DHuffman

Got the hide off the little guy today.

First off I'll have to take the blame in part because I obviously didn't allow for enough wind on either shot.
I was up high and the deer was down low in a narrow draw that possibly accelerated the wind.

So with the hide off this is what I've learned. First off I had a decent left to right wind and without accounting for it because holding on the front shoulder I figured it might wind up behind the crease and that works too.
So I think the first shot entered in front of the diaphragm and passed through and out behind the diaphragm. This shot knocked him off his feet but got almost no expansion.
The second shot I tried to put behind the crease but it went deep partially because of the wind and partly because he was stepping to my left but back towards me angling the bullet back into the opposite ham. This bullet left a wound channel bigger than a ping pong ball and destroyed the upper leg bone.

So in short I would not use this bullet again on deer, antelope or bigger game. With that being said if I'd had my wind right and placed the bullet on the point of the shoulder he'd have been DRT but I would never intentionally put one behind the crease knowing what I know now.

Dave

mnbogboy

Nice buck Dave, in our neck of the woods we drool over bucks like that!
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

mnbogboy

My son John teamed up with his buddy group hunting the other day and picked up a second 8 pt.  This one heavier than the long brow tined one he took on the opener.  Certainly both are way bigger than the average ones we see on public (or private) around here.  Too much unlimited pressure is the main problem add in T-wolves and harsh winters.  Certainly not like our "hay-days" of the late 80s to mid 90s.
Congrats again on a beautiful buck!
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

DHuffman

Quote from: mnbogboy on November 27, 2020, 04:29:47 PMNice buck Dave, in our neck of the woods we drool over bucks like that!

He is a respectable buck I shouldn't call him little LOL. We've had some pretty good deer years lately and I guess i got used to shooting bigger deer.
I've often thought about a very small food plot down in that V draw to try to get the whitetails anchored in there full time and maybe keep some supplement out to grow some horns.
The first problem with that idea is the cows, I'd never keep them out of it.
The second bigger problem especially for my ego LOL is I'd be another guy sitting over bait / attractant waiting for a deer to show up and could no longer consider myself an open country hunter who quietly walks/stalks miles to where he thinks a deer might show up.

I think it was just one of those seasons where a cold snap early on got the rut going a week or two early and the big deer may still be there or not. That other place I hunt more frequently has been in the walk in program 3 years now and even though my family leases the ground anyone can walk in and hunt it. The bird hunters really give it a workout on the edges.

I was thinking about making one last run at them tomorrow but think I'll shoot some steel instead with the Lapua Imp. and take the .338 out to 1600+ yards tomorrow. Should be a nice change of pace.
Dave

DHuffman

Quote from: mnbogboy on November 27, 2020, 04:43:57 PMMy son John teamed up with his buddy group hunting the other day and picked up a second 8 pt.  This one heavier than the long brow tined one he took on the opener.  Certainly both are way bigger than the average ones we see on public (or private) around here.  Too much unlimited pressure is the main problem add in T-wolves and harsh winters.  Certainly not like our "hay-days" of the late 80s to mid 90s.
Congrats again on a beautiful buck!

Nice deer!
Dave

6.5 Hunter

Wow!  What a view!  I'm used to looking at trees,  everywhere.  LOL
Mark