News:

This Forum is for use by adults 18 years old or older. By continuing to use this Forum you are confirming, under the law, the you are 18 year old or older. No content shall be viewed by any person under 18 in California.

Main Menu

Keeping the Tradition Alive

Started by sportacus, November 24, 2020, 03:17:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sportacus

Got a text with pic from my nephew at 7:00 this morning.  My great nephew, 9 years old, took his first deer.  A three point.  Special part is the rifle he used.  A Remington 760 in 243 with a steel Weaver 2-7.  Bought it in Opelika, AL when I was a baby Infantry lieutenant assigned to FT Benning, GA in 1975.  Over the years, killed a pile with it and gave it to Chad in 1991 as I was headed to Germany.  He killed a bunch with it but moved on to other rifles as he got older.  Landon is the third generation to take a whitetail with that old rifle.  Got a later pic with the war paint applied to the youngster's face.  A good day.
If you have the shot, take it.

mnbogboy

Nothing more fun than being with the youth as they begin their game harvesting career.  Happy for your nephew & great nephew!  Puts a gleem in your smile too i bet.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

MJeff23

@sportacus congrats, 3rd generation using the rifle is AUsome.  2nd best part of your post is the rifle & scope started in Opelika AL.....I consider that to be God's country in Alabama.  War Eagle from an Auburn grad, and father of AU grads.
Jeff
First impressions are forever.....you don't get a second chance

jvw2008

That's a great story Wayne. When it comes to Remingtons the saying is true - they don't make em like they used to.

gman47564

Congrats wayne.. its cool the old rifle has been harvesting game for 3 generations..
Grant