News:

This Forum is for use by adults 18 years old or older. By continuing to use this Forum you are confirming, under the law, the you are 18 year old or older. No content shall be viewed by any person under 18 in California.

Main Menu

Blackpowder Prep

Started by sportacus, October 22, 2020, 06:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sportacus

Have spent the last several days getting ready for TN muzzleloader that opens 7 November.  Have a rifle set for my step daughter shooting 1.5 inch groups at 100 with 63 grains by weight of Blackhorn 209 and a 260 grain Harvester bullet with Harvester sabot out of a Traditions Vortek LDR.
Have switched from weighing charges by volume to charges by weight.  Groups tightened up and consistent.
Have a Knight Mountaineer that slings 300 grain Harvester bullets into 2" consistently.  Recoil not that unpleasant.  Light came on while I was cleaning.  The 300 grain bullet with 77 grains of BH was the set up I used in 2013 on a Kansas black powder hunt.  Outfitter had advised me to be comfortable with 200 yard shots.  I practiced all summer.  Killed my buck at 100 yards.  Now chasing small Southern whitetails in LA and TN.  Pretty sure the 260 Harvesters with 70 grains by weight is more than adequate for my quarry. Shots will be 50-75 yards in hardwood timber. Will give that load a go tomorrow. 
If you have the shot, take it.

sportacus

Went back to my old standby, Harvester 300 grain, ribbed sabot and 77 grains of BH 209 by weight.  SHAZAAM!  I need to quit chasing the dragon and just go with what has worked in the past.

LeadHammer

I do the Blackhorn by weight as well, its the only way to go.  I use 77grs and either 250 grain Hornady SST's or 250 grin Barnes with the blue sabot. CVA Accura V2. I store the pre weighed powder in plastic tubes.

sportacus

Quote from: LeadHammer on October 23, 2020, 06:14:47 PMI do the Blackhorn by weight as well, its the only way to go.  I use 77grs and either 250 grain Hornady SST's or 250 grin Barnes with the blue sabot. CVA Accura V2. I store the pre weighed powder in plastic tubes.
LeadHammer,
Will give your combo a go when I prep next year.  Have never tried the blue Harvester sabot. Killed the deer of my life in 2010 with a T/C Omega, 100grains by volume of BH 209 and the 250 Hornady SST.  Like you, keep my pre-measured charges in the BH plastic tubes.  Was bouncing back and forth between CCI 209M and Federal 209A for ignition.  Settled on 209A.  Strictly anecdotal, "seat of the pants",  but feel like they are more consistent.  Have come a long way since I started in 1980, T/C .54 Hawken, 100 grains of GOEX FFG, 430 grain Maxi-Ball and open sights.  Now an antique, hanging over the mantel.  But, if duty called and I could get my hands on some FFg GOEX, could still put groceries on the table.

LeadHammer

I use Cheddite 209 primers. I like how they are sealed, you drop one or get it wet and don't have to worry.  Never had one not go bang. I did a powder charge test, 90, 100, 110 by volume, three shot groups were best 1", worst 1 1/2". Pretty forgiving. My 77 by weight usually does 1 1/8", I am sure that I could tweak it but no need if shooting 0-300 yards. I meant to try the Barnes with the yellow sabots, ( tighter ) but have not gotten around to that either.

sportacus

Everything set for the TN muzzleloader opener this Saturday.  The rut is on.  Watched a young six chasing does at 1:00 PM yesterday.
Lots of scrapes and rubs.  Have trail cam pics of several mature bucks and lots of youngsters.  Have ground blinds in two spots with the heaviest buck sign.  Once the smoke poles start booming Saturday morning, everything changes.  Will go old school and just sit on the ground where there are saddles and pinch points.  Have good visibility in the hardwood bottoms and know the bucks will be cruising looking for does.  I will be tons of fun .

jvw2008

Sounds like a whole lotta fun. Expect we will get a report on your adventure!

mnbogboy

Good luck Wayne...i will be doing the same on Sat. morn here in MN only with a 6.5 caliber rifle!
Our rut should be going good too....sad thing is we need a buck or two along with some does to really make it work right....slim pickings up here again after last years long winter.
Go gettum in TN.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

mnbogboy

10 hours & 57 minutes sitting in the ladder stand today. Saw 6 does & fawns, one whiskey jack, a pileated woodpecker and about 100 pine squirrels!
My arse is sore, my neck is worse and the whirlpool is going to feel good.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

sportacus

Hunted Saturday and Sunday.  Saw does/fawns and yearling bucks.  Was after a nine and a big eight.  The big 8 kicked my a**.  Got daylight pictures of him when I would be sitting a stand 300 yards away.  I would go left, he would go right.  Almost had him at 100 yards yesterday at 7:30 AM.  He walked up, scent checked for does and kept cruising.  Made the call there was too much brush/saplings between us for me to make a ethical shot.  After he walked and the adrenalin rush passed, I chuckled.  I love to play chess with these critters.  This deer is killable.  Will be back in a couple of weeks with a 6.5 CM in my hands.  Can weave a Berger through an opening the size of a teacup and all the foliage will be gone.  Got really warm.  Was 83 Saturday after noon and 62 yesterday morning.  Will be cooled down before modern firearms opens on 21 November.