News:

This Forum is for use by adults 18 years old or older. By continuing to use this Forum you are confirming, under the law, the you are 18 year old or older. No content shall be viewed by any person under 18 in California.

Main Menu

ABLR V AB

Started by lofty, September 17, 2021, 03:25:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lofty

I have a number nice rifles and each one wears walnut and blued steel. However I recently underwent a bit of a re-assessment due to advancing years, and bought a nice light rifle. That rifle is a Tikka Lite and the cartridge is 6.5 Creedmoor. It's yet to go hunting, but initial range shooting with some 123gn Hornady SST's looks pretty good. I also bough some Nosler Accubonds, 100 Long range and 100 standard AB's in 129 and 130gn. I'm not sure which of these would suit the Creedmoor, so I though I'd give them both a run.  I seldom if ever shoot a deer beyond 200 yards. I'd like some feedback from anyone who's familiar with both varieties.

sportacus

lofty,
I have been successful/ impressed by both bullets in 6.5 CM.  140 AB's loaded by Federal and 142 ABLR loaded by Winchester.  They both shoot tight and are deadly on whitetails and feral hogs.  The 140 AB;s are the favorite load with a lot. of local Creedmoor hunters in my area.  Accuracy and usually complete penetration.  I like the 142's.  Shoot a little tighter out of my rifle.
If you have the shot, take it.

lofty

G'Day Sportacus,
Thanks for the input mate. I did have a Savage LRP that shot the 130gn Nosler RDF really well, so I thought I'd go with the Accubonds in the same weight. However as bullet construction would be very similar in both 130 and 140, and I don't hunt at long range, I thought I could use those lighter bullets.
As in the USA, components are hard to come by here in Australia, although I have plenty of H4350, so I can do some experimenting.
Cheers,
John

sportacus

John,
If you work up a accurate load, you will be pleased with the downrange results of either. 
Wayne

lofty

Hi Wayne,
Here's a pic of the best group using the 123gn SST's. I haven't shot any AB's yet, but I believe that at Creedmoor velocities they should work well.

sportacus

John,
Think your groups will get even tighter with Noslers out of a Tikka.  Killed my first 6.5 CM buck with a factory SST in 2014.  He was DRT but when we dressed him I was concerned.  Was a quartering away shot at around 150.  Bullet entered behind left shoulder and was retrieved from under the skin right side of neck.  Jacket has completely separated from lead core.  Old time member Basshawg got a deal on a case of factory SST.  Back in the day, SST and GMX were the only two choices for hunters.  Now our options are immense.
Noslers AB's, ABLR's and Bergers rule the day around here.  Good hunting!
Wayne

lofty

G'Day Wayne,
I've had the same experience with a Fallow doe I shot for meat a while back. I was using my 7x57 with a 139gn SST, and while I was taking the skin off, the jacket fell out on the ground. The carcase was hanging at the time. Apparently these bullets are great killers but they do have a habit of the core and jacket separating. I shot a good sized pig one with my 257 Roberts using a 117gn SST and the same thing happened. There was no exit wound to be found and the dirty bugger had been rolling around in something disgusting so I didn't go in for a look. The exit hole was like a pencil had gone through. Having said all that, I've never had a deer walk away after getting hit with an SST. As they say; if you hit them in the right place, they'll fall down.
John

LeadHammer

I would also be concerned with the SST's on deer at higher velocities.   have had trouble with them in my 270.
I also shot a coyote at 200 yards, no exit wound. 130gr SST 3050fps at the muzzle.

lofty

Quote from: LeadHammer on September 22, 2021, 04:02:07 PMI would also be concerned with the SST's on deer at higher velocities.   have had trouble with them in my 270.
I also shot a coyote at 200 yards, no exit wound. 130gr SST 3050fps at the muzzle.
Leadhammer, I don't have a 270 any more but when I did the bullet of choice was a 140gn SST. It seemed to shoot better that the 130gn. However on lighter deer like the Fallows we get here, the exit wound was enormous.

LeadHammer

I have a few different bullets I have not shot yet in my 270.
If I shot less than 200, I would run Barnes. No lead in the meat, they will open up at those speeds, run a lighter bullet with even less recoil. All are pluses.

The Marshall

The ABLR was designed to give Accubond terminal performance at lower impact speeds. Generally, the standard Accubond has a lower BC than the LR version. I think the results on big game will be nearly indistinguishable from each other, so go with the one the rifle likes better.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.
Every man has got to know his limits.