News:

This Forum is for use by adults 18 years old or older. By continuing to use this Forum you are confirming, under the law, the you are 18 year old or older. No content shall be viewed by any person under 18 in California.

Main Menu

Back to hunting

Started by lofty, August 15, 2021, 03:58:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lofty

I decided that I'd had enough of long range target shooting and decoded I'd sell by Savage 12LRP. I also sold all the stock I had of match bullets. But I still had a heap of brass and some great dies. Seeing as how my first love is hunting it followed that I'd get a 6.5 Creed hunting rifle, so I ordered a Tikka Lite.
Now, those high BC 140 plus weight target bullets are great for punching paper, but As I never shoot an animal further away than 200m I didn't think they'd be needed. I went down to well constructed bullets like 130gn Nosler Accubonds and Hornady 123gn SST's. I reckoned on getting good hunting accuracy, but with more velocity. I'd be interested in any comments on this. I've got plenty of H4350 by the way.

LeadHammer

I killed 2 deer with the 6.5 and 140 Berger's. 150 and 200 yards I think it was, no problems, however if I were you for those distances I would try the 130's for sure, more speed = more DRT.

lofty

That's my thoughts precisely Hammer, The longer bullets are great for holding velocity longer but the way bullet technology is going, you don't need those heavier bullets if the ranges are shorter. I believe in getting as close as I can.