January 24, 2022, 05:47:00 PM

News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Reloading for the Timber 6.5 Reload for hunting vs PRS

Started by sean30ber, November 13, 2020, 05:13:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sean30ber

November 13, 2020, 05:13:59 AM Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 12:42:33 PM by sean30ber
Reloading for hunting vs PRS

So I got my Elk and Muley this year with my PRS. No way im packing that thing 3 to 5 miles a day again. So, I bought a Bergara Timber in 6.5. As I run through and get all my initial chamber measurements and such, I find a huge difference in Ogive and OAL in the Timber vs my PRS, which I can load right to the lands and have room in the mag, The timber Box mag is exactly 2.821 OAL which when loaded leaves my Ogive, an all the bullets I use, way!!! back off the lands. Im used to running .020 to .050 for accuracy in my PRS depending on the bullets.

So my question is, Is this common with hunting rifle only being able to take bullets at spec or just a touch over, and deal with it as best you can. Or, is this uncommon. Im used to being so anal over my accuracy and measurement its hard to swallow.

Thanks for any responses.

Sean 
Bergara HMR, Bergara LRP

Westie1

November 13, 2020, 06:14:26 AM #1 Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 06:38:43 AM by Westie1
Do you mean 2.821, instead of the 1.821 you posted? Don't know about other rifles, but my T/C Compass mag will allow me a OAL of 2.985. 
Peace was my Profession

HufD63

I would be looking at the 140 Classic Hunter for situation like that. Ogive is farther forward so it might get you closer to the lands.

On a hunting rifle I'd seat it to mag length and seating depth test back away from the lands from there. Really the only way to do it in this situation.
Dave

sean30ber

November 13, 2020, 07:09:31 AM #3 Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 07:15:46 AM by sean30ber
Quote from: Westie1 on November 13, 2020, 06:14:26 AMDo you mean 2.821, instead of the 1.821 you posted? Don't know about other rifles, but my T/C Compass mag will allow me a OAL of 2.985. 

Good lord I got fat finger. Yes    and my custom Savage gives me about the same as yours.
Sean 
Bergara HMR, Bergara LRP

gman47564

Yep start load development  to where they cycle through the mag good and seat deeper if need be..
Grant

CaptGrumpy

You will just have to take your measurements and go from there. I bought the Timber for hunting as well and it is awesome. it shoots the Federal Fusion ammo extremely well. I had my gunsmith install the Graco adjustable comb hardware and the rifle shoots perfect. Inside of 200 yards I can mount and shoot the rifle in a moment as it goes up on sight picture immediately. I have killed 2 deer with it and happy to have it in my arsenal. if it any rifle does not quite fit you just right , do not be afraid to spend the money to make it fit you perfectly. Best money spent.
Chris
Yup! That is a 6.5 in my saddle scabbard

sean30ber

Very nice Cap. I put a Leupold VX3i 3.5 10x40 CDS on it and it is perfect. Going to do the barrel break in this weekend. I was very impressed with the fit and finish and I love a good oiled walnut stock.
Sean 
Bergara HMR, Bergara LRP

sean30ber

October 17, 2021, 05:26:24 AM #7 Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 05:29:49 AM by sean30ber
Revisited the Timber before Muley hunt. Playing with the 140 Speer Gold Dot. I think I got it where she likes it. This was at 100m prone, bipod, tail bag. 3 rounds. I shot my cold bore on another target and didnt need to. It would have been dead center of this group. I need more Gold Dots.

Sean 
Bergara HMR, Bergara LRP

jvw2008

gman47564

Grant

sportacus

sean,
Awesome group and impressive MV.  It's on you now.  Rifle and load not a issue. ;D
If you have the shot, take it.

CaptGrumpy

nice group Sean. I just got my rifle out of the rack to check zero. These rifles are definitely shooters.
Chris
Yup! That is a 6.5 in my saddle scabbard