News:

New Members start here.

Main Menu

7-08 IMP new barrel tune

Started by DHuffman, February 24, 2020, 12:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DHuffman

The Atips are liking it in the lands but the closer the better.

Dave

DHuffman

Light wind and Mirage, dialing in on it!

Dave

mnbogboy

11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

DHuffman

Quote from: mnbogboy on April 29, 2020, 10:49:18 PMNice, 'only' 0.144 moa....

It's definitely getting there! I'll either shoot it or the Creedmoor at Elbow Lake the 9th & 10th for HG after that and depending on how it shoots if I'm going to predominately shoot 600 yards this season I may screw a 6 BRA barrel on it too and run some different bullets in it.
Dave

DHuffman

This gun keeps repeating in this window at this (+.004") SD

I think the next step is try some RL 16 and see if it shrinks it any then possibly experiment with some different primers.

Same deal as the Creed transfered the holes to clean paper

Dave

DHuffman

First test with RL 16, I'm thinking the vertical is better. The last G round had lift but it was a longer than normal string and it was warm enough by the time I got to it.
The P was good and Y not bad. Conditions not great but better than what tomorrow called for.

Dave

DHuffman

Dave

mnbogboy

Quote from: HufD63 on May 13, 2020, 11:05:30 PMRL 16 vs H4350

Aside the difference in wind the temperature & humidity obviously affect the air density so it seems tough to compare the two.  Wonder if the verticle would have been as better with the 4350 if shot at the same time?
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

DHuffman

Quote from: mnbogboy on May 13, 2020, 11:46:07 PMAside the difference in wind the temperature & humidity obviously affect the air density so it seems tough to compare the two.  Wonder if the verticle would have been as better with the 4350 if shot at the same time?

After I said that I got out the caliper.

On RL 16 the combination of y & p is slightly smaller than the b & y combo of h4350
The P group with 16 is considerably smaller than the b group with 4350 running very similar speeds.

You are 100% correct about conditions and time of day as well. I've said before I'm hesitant to test in the afternoon / evening because it won't be the same in the morning like match conditions.
Figured it would be wind and rain this morning so I ran them last night.
Dave

DHuffman

I was also lightly crunching powder starting with the B rounds when seating. Not bad enough a drop tube wouldn't make it work in this range.
I think I'll test a ladder of Stabal then do some primer testing if time allows. I'm planning on shooting the 3 match set in Harris MN next weekend if something doesn't wreck my plans.
Dave

DHuffman

Tried Fed 210 Ms this morning. Huge POI swing, so much I used up some of my testers getting sighted. Not real impressed with the rounds I did get on paper.
I tested across .6 grains of powder. I'm going to run one more set of RL 16 but think I'll be going back to H4350. The 16 is requiring a drop tube to keep from crunching powder and up where it shot small the other day I got a little bolt lift on the last round. It was 55 * so not sure I want to be crunching powder and be that close to pressure.

Dave

DHuffman

4 shot groups here, B & Y are looking good.

Dave