News:

New Members start here.

Main Menu

Savage Target Dasher

Started by DHuffman, August 24, 2020, 08:40:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jvw2008

I had several opportunities over the last two years to talk to either Bob or Tom. They have always been very helpful. There goal is to produce the best brass made anywhere in the world. Great guys.

That's good information Eric. Thanks for sharing.

DHuffman

Here I thought the Alpha brass was large primer and was really believing the whole tight primer talk the other evening. So who made / is making large primer Dasher Brass???
There was a huge debate about it last winter on AS, I could have swore it was Alpha.
Dave

DHuffman

Never mind....It was about the larger than Lapua .080" flash hole not the primer size I believe.
Dave

jvw2008

Ranger 188

Just to add to the fire.  :D
Read on another site that Peterson in the next 2 weeks is coming
out with 6 Dasher brass.
Could be BS
Just have to wait.

DHuffman

Hard to believe after all these years now companies are clamoring to make some high end brass in wildcat calibers.
Dave

jvw2008

It's good to see a couple upstart American companies give Lapua and Norma a run for their money. Lapua makes great brass no doubt but they are no longer sole king of the hill for top quality brass.

DHuffman

I agree! Everyone says they want to buy American if given the chance and I feel the same way. Without dropping names there are others as well.

It will be different so don't expect it to be the same. These companies are trying to make a better product not copy it.
Work up the load with an open mind and give it an honest chance without expecting it to be the same as Lapua and I bet success will be found.

If an issue is found contact the company and work through it with them instead of jumping on the internet and giving them a bad review.

We as reloaders can help them bring a good product to market or run them off the rails right off the bat it's our choice.

I remember a few years ago there was no Lapua 6 BR brass to be had. Lost at sea of I recall. That wouldn't happen buying American.

Dave

DHuffman

Back at this one again.

Set the 100 pieces of Alpha today with nothing really to look at but the Chrono numbers.

The barrel had 60 rounds to start off and had 160 after ff the Alpha. I chono'd 6 strings of 10+ rounds and tried to keep cold barrel shots and foulers off the strings.

The steady velocity gain was not really a surprise but the ES and SD numbers and the average speed had a pattern to them.

All 100 pieces had the same charge and seating depth.
Dave

DHuffman

Shot a powder ladder from 31.2 to 32 in .2 g increments at .006" in this evening.

Dave

mnbogboy

Quote from: HufD63 on September 13, 2020, 08:18:13 PMBack at this one again.

Set the 100 pieces of Alpha today with nothing really to look at but the Chrono numbers.

The barrel had 60 rounds to start off and had 160 after ff the Alpha. I chono'd 6 strings of 10+ rounds and tried to keep cold barrel shots and foulers off the strings.

The steady velocity gain was not really a surprise but the ES and SD numbers and the average speed had a pattern to them.

All 100 pieces had the same charge and seating depth.
Interesting pattern....when we search for "charge" nodes.. are we actually searching for a velocity node?....i think I've seen two different powders shoot their best at close to same velocity...Does that make sense?....im thinking out loud again.
https://www.65creedmoor.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=11436.0;attach=10286
Here's a graph from a while back flat spots at 2908 with both powders....???
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

DHuffman

Dave

DHuffman

I got busy eating last night and forgot to throw up the speeds on the above ladder.

Next problem with the Dasher / Alpha combo is the necks need turned. I've got very minimal clearance.

Dave

DHuffman

Brett is working his magic on the old wood butchered Savage

Dave

gman47564

He does amazing work. Im sure it will be incredible when he's done with it.. cant wait to see it
Grant