News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Main Menu

Gas System in 6.5 CM unsupressed vs supressed

Started by GWB, May 18, 2020, 06:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GWB

I'm starting my first build and think I definitely should have chosen an easier rifle to start with but im too far in now. I have gotten everything except for BCG, buffer, and gas block because I plan on suppressing my 6.5 CM in the future and know there is a difference in gas pressure in suppressed vs unsuppressed. As far as gas blocks I'm fairly confident I need to get an adjustable one but not sure if there is a huge difference in performance between brands, I understand if you go too cheap the hole may not line up properly but other than that is there anything i should be looking for in that or the tube?. For the BCG I've been looking at the JP variable mass one but im almost thinking I should just get two different BCGs, one for running the gun suppressed and one for running the gun unsuppressed, I like some thoughts on that. lastly the buffer system, is flat wire buffer spring worth the hype? and could someone explain the reason with weighted buffer plugs! If anyone has a link to a good video on gas systems that would be awesome, I've already watched a bunch on youtube.

I got the Aero precision U/L receiver set with a 24" BA fluted 6.5 CM barrel and running a drop in Rise Armament RA-434 High Performance Trigger if any of that matters. Trying to do as much research as possible before i buy any of my gas system parts.

DHuffman

Welcome GWB

Someone else will have to help you I'm not much of an AR guy.
Dave

Windsage

I'm partial to the Superlative Arms adjustable, but most adjustable blocks will work.  If you have everything perfect without a suppressor and then add one, you will be over gassed.  This might not even be an issue, but if it is, then turn the gas block down a couple of clicks.  Adding a suppressor increases the back pressure on the gas trying to leave the barrel, so you turn the gas back down at the block.

Darkker

Quote from: GWB on May 18, 2020, 06:25:14 PM--know there is a difference in gas pressure in suppressed vs unsuppressed.
--As far as gas blocks I'm fairly confident I need to get an adjustable one but not sure if there is a huge difference in performance between brands, .
-- lastly the buffer system, is flat wire buffer spring worth the hype?
-- and could someone explain the reason with weighted buffer plugs!

WAAAAAY over thinking this one.

Yes there is a difference in gassing. Just like the AK is "over-gassed". So the question is, does it matter? That is personal. It's not like we're talking a gun capable of 10,000 rounds Vs. 600. If the extra gas is annoying, address it then.

The difference isn't in the brands, due to the brands; it's due to tolerances. Modular things have a range of acceptable specs, but a different company has a different range of specs. When you interchange spec ranges, there can be enough of a difference to be problematic. Alternatively they can be close enough to not matter. Don't find solutions to problems that don't yet exist.

Flat wire Vs round. Do what makes you happy, but aside from a technicality, it doesn't matter. If you are buying eleventy billion things, and the difference of $1.50 matters, fine. A dude shooting and enjoying his rifle, won't be "harmed' one way or the other

If you are over-gassed, and you want to slow the cylic rate, there are a few ways to do that. Using the extra gas to move more weight, is simply one of them.

Cheers
I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.