News:

New Members start here.

Main Menu

6 mm dasher

Started by gman47564, May 04, 2021, 07:22:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gman47564

Dave im not going to step on it too hard this first firing.. but i do want it in the 2800's to fire form.. if this powder wont get me there i might as well move on.. however i still have case capacity left.. so im gonna give it a bump up.. i get done you may not be grinning... lol
Grant

DHuffman

Those are the common sizes but there are .271, .269 and they go even smaller on your bottom end.

I'd turn .001 off them
Dave

DHuffman

Quote from: gman47564 on May 08, 2021, 06:49:23 AMDave im not going to step on it too hard this first firing.. but i do want it in the 2800's to fire form.. if this powder wont get me there i might as well move on.. however i still have case capacity left.. so im gonna give it a bump up.. i get done you may not be grinning... lol

I agree it's not going to hurt to step up but if that powder is going to run slow be careful not to step up enough to damage the brass.
Dave

gman47564

Grant

DHuffman

2880 - 2890 is a pretty good slow 6mm load.

People will argue but in a 6 BR it's getting close to the top end. In a BRA it's a low node and in a Dasher should be very mild.

Dave

DHuffman

From 2650 to 2800 is 1 - 1.5 grains without accounting for any spots where it stalls out in velocity. To get to 2880 might take 2 more grains.

So for reasons not pertaining really to this thread how does everyone evaluate case capacity percentage?
The Berger manual lists it for the powders it lists in the range it lists.

Take the 6.5x47L for instance, it lists h4350 at 40.5 ish at over 100% 105 I think. So if I fill a case with h4350 and divide the load by the capacity I'm getting more like 85% I don't have the exact numbers with me but these are very close.
Dave

Ranger 188

I used 4166 in my straight 6br with 95g Sierra's and shot small and fast. (3040)
I would think going up to 103-105g bullets wouldn't be an issue.

gman47564

I bumped my load up from 28 gr. To 29 and got 2740 so i bumped it again to 30 gr and got 2835. Went to 30. 3 and got 2860.. this is where i will finish fire forming my cases.. still got room in the case for a couple more grains of powder i think.. the 29 charge still had a slight resistance when droping a bullet in the fired case.. the 30 gr. Charge however let the bullet fall down in the fired case.. didnt notice any heavy bolt lift either.. so i think im on the right track..
Grant

DHuffman

Quote from: Ranger 188 on May 08, 2021, 09:48:48 AMI used 4166 in my straight 6br with 95g Sierra's and shot small and fast. (3040)
I would think going up to 103-105g bullets wouldn't be an issue.

I should have been more specific and said 105s and should not have said "close to the top end" but said is generally a very good accuracy node.
Dave

DHuffman

I wouldn't have thought within reason a light charge would differ from a bigger charge in terms of release or fired case neck diameter.

Now that you mention it I experienced the same when FF my Alpha Dasher no turn brass.
Dave

gman47564

I wouldnt have thought so either dave but it made a difference.  I still think i need to take a half thou. More off them though..

My first 3 shot group with my fire form load at 430 yards.. the one under the tape was my aim point.. i think i got the tape on the right 3.. the way the sun was shining on the plate it was hard to see the hits.. in the pic i can see 3  in a diagonal line  with them closer than 2 inches.. will load som more and put a few on paper
Grant

gman47564

Got a chance to do a velocity ladder with this dasher.. i used h4895 and a 103 gr eldx. The rifle has me puzzled.. im getting heavy bolt lift with pretty much every round.. primers look good.. didnt see any ejector marks till i got to 2960.. however you can see a shiny ring around the entire base.. i cant see anything at all wrong with the bolt face.. the gun is headspaced .002 longer than a new case.. im starting to think its this norma brass.. my brass has been fired once.. cleaned, annealed,sized, neck turned and trimmed with inside and outside chamfer.. any clues? The pics are my numbers and the 13 shot group.
Grant

eas1949

What other powder do you have available?   Try Varget or IMR 4166.  31.3 gr with a .007 jump.
Eric
NRA Benefactor Life Member<br>Crafty Old Fart

gman47564

Eric i fireformed my 100 pieces of brass with 4166 at 2860 fps and had the heavy bolt lift.. i thought turning the necks would help with that because i wasn't getting a clean release of the bullet before i turned them but now that i turned them a bullet will fall down in a fired case.. but still got heavy bolt lift.
Grant

Ranger 188

Sorry I don't have any Dasher brass by another company, I'd
send you some and see how it chambers.
Does it chamber a little stiff before firing?
Maybe the Norma is a little "bigger" than others and
once you fire it, it gets a little sticky in the chamber.
Hopefully someone can give you dimensions of Alpha or
fire formed Lapua and you can compare the 2.
Thinking too long or needs to be sized a bit smaller.