January 24, 2022, 05:54:32 PM

News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Forster CoAx floating shell holder frustration

Started by bikemutt, December 30, 2021, 02:16:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bikemutt

I really like my Forster CoAx press, great reloading tool.

My only complaint is the reluctance of the "floating" shell holder assembly to release brass in a consistent manner. In every press session I have to fight to have it let go of more than a small percentage of the cases. Just using my fingertips, I can feel where the base of the brass has been mangled by the sharp edges of the holder.

I've disassembled the mechanism, cleaned it thoroughly, and lubed it appropriately.

I have worked on my technique for removing brass, I've studied what seemed to work the best, only to have a rebel piece make me look like a jackass :(

I ordered the standard shell holder adapter for the press, despite Forster's caveat that I'll lose the "float". I'm willing to try it, just to see.

Figured I'd post here to see if others have experienced this, and maybe figured it out.

Thanks.

Chris

gman47564

This is probably a given chris but do you have that bottom pin set to where it fully opens the jaws..
Grant

jvw2008

I agree Chris this is probably your problem. Just turn the screw up further and your shell holder jaws should open and close nicely. I have to readjust mine periodically.

bikemutt

Wow, I had no idea there's a pin  :-[

I will try that in the morning :)

I know, RTFM :)
Chris

bikemutt

That worked, thanks!

I can see why there isn't a jam nut; too close to the primer drop tube. Maybe a turn of PTFE tape will have it stay put.
Chris

Denver Steve

I just make sure mine is adjusted to where I want it when I start out and it stays put for all my sizing and seating operations.

VA-XBolt

Mine does tend to drift a bit, and thinking about this more, I think I'll try a drop of Blue Loctite on those threads.

bikemutt

Quote from: VA-XBolt on December 31, 2021, 06:01:26 AMMine does tend to drift a bit, and thinking about this more, I think I'll try a drop of Blue Loctite on those threads.

I thought about blue Loctite too, my only concern is it's so close to the drop tube, it's pretty hard to get hold of it if a further adjustment is needed and the Loctite won't release.

I may try duct seal compound since I have some laying around. It's great stuff mostly used by electricians to weather seal boxes etc. It never dries and is easily removed if needed.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-Bender-1-lb-Plug-Duct-Seal-Compound-DS-110/100212441?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US&&mtc=Shopping-VF-F_D27E-G-D27E-027_011_TOOLS_ACC-NA-NA-Feed-SMART-2181312-WF-New_Engen+PL3&cm_mmc=Shopping-VF-F_D27E-G-D27E-027_011_TOOLS_ACC-NA-NA-Feed-SMART-2181312-WF-New_Engen+PL3-71700000082410808-58700006989412257-92700062912530339&gclid=CjwKCAiA8bqOBhANEiwA-sIlNwK3qAYUkKOJBYAx0ohdLb6OFYwQxymubdQCAdCJW4_u8C5H6BMMjRoCOqkQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Chris

jvw2008

I think there is a slot for a screwdriver at the base. Mine is loose enough to turn by hand. I like it that way so I can easily fine tune it while using the press.

gman47564

Keep in mind if you want to switch from the large case holder to the small case holder you need to be able to back that pin out easily.. when you set down at your press its really pretty easy to reach under there and screw the pin in if it has backed off any.. even if you have to unscrew the primer catcher tube..
Grant