News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Main Menu

Short throator bad data?

Started by madsweeney, December 29, 2021, 02:14:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madsweeney

Tried to make some loads for my new Ruger American Hunter. Used a recipe from the Lyman 50th manual for 140 gr. Amax. They called out OAL of 2.810.  Couldn't close the bolt. Had to set them back to 2.735 just to lock up. Pretty sure that's still right up against the lands.
Now I'm wondering if my throat is short or if the data is bad. Anyone run into this sort of thing before?

gman47564

How many rounds are down the barrel?
Grant

jvw2008

What bullet are you using and how are you measuring OAL?

madsweeney

First of all, I had a typo in my original post. The actual published COL was 2.800 not 2.810 - my bad
Also, I'm not talking about setting up optimum distance off the lands; I'm just trying to get the bolt to close!
BULLET: Hornady 140 gr. AMAX
RIFLE: new Ruger American Hunter (less than 50 rounds through barrel)
CALIPER: Mitutoyo analog (dial) caliper known good

gman47564

The reason i asked about the round count was because i thought you might have a carbon ring in the chamber.. but thats doubtful with such a low round count.. it may just have a really tight throat.. build a dummy round with no powder or primer and set the bullet at a 2.800 coal and see if it will chamber.. if it does remove it and re measure it and see if you still have the same coal..
Grant

jvw2008

If all of your rounds have been this way from the begin, you most likely have a defective throat or no throat at all. A bore scope would help determine.